Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Online L series Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online L series Lens

g'day,

looking at purchasing an L series lens (100mm F2.8 Macro).
    just wondering if any others have had previous experiences buying an L series lens online as opposed to instore?

one thing i have noticed is that to buy online will be saving a bit of money (*removed. please read site rules 3-7*).

would people recommend buying an expensive lens like this online? or stick to going into the stores??

thanks,

Kieran
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-02-2012 at 7:20am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kieran, purchased my 70-200mm f2.8 L IS through DWI. Great price and great service. I couldn't be happier.
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi
    I have bought 2 lenses online and had no problem with either. my last from digi rev
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased a number of lenses from 3 different on line suppliers and never had a problem. I will be ordering a 70-200 F2.8L next week.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have purchased online Removed - please reread the forum rules regarding naming retailers . I have also purchased in-store, for which I was thankful - as two weeks after purchase the lens went kaput (Although not an L series - It was the new Tamron 28-270), so was easy to take back. However, I paid about a $100 more to purchase locally, although I did get a hands-on look and trial and advice from the sales assistant, so probably worth it)

To be honest, if the difference was not huge (which I admit it can be) I would purchase in a store for the peace of mind with warranty, particularly as Canon no longer do international warranty.

I am new so cannot post links, but one of the local Perth camera stores now sells online, and they undercut their retails shop by quite a bit (eg, the 24-105 f4 L series was about $200 - $300 less online), but they also claim they are Aussie stock with Aussie warranty.
    Last edited by I @ M; 19-02-2012 at 3:42am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said above I am purchasing a 70-200F2.8L is, the price for this from e global an AP sponsor is $600-$800 cheaper than aussie stores that have full canon warranty and $300-$400 cheaper than aussie based gray dealers.
    Also aussie warranty does not necessarly mean canon factory warranty
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal approach to lens purchases is that I don't buy from retailers. I'm just not interested in paying far more money than necessary.

I have only ever purchased from two parallel importers, which both have very good reputations. I'm fortunate that one of them is in my own city, so when I've purchased from there, I've picked up the equipment.

Once you've found a reputable online dealer with good prices and good service, my advice is to stick to that unless a Canon Australia warranty is important to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above.
    If the difference between grey or local is around 10%, I'll buy local stock, but otherwise it's grey for me.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.