Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Lend me a hand please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lend me a hand please?

We have some crazy cockies here lol

Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cathy,

An intriguing capture - they're amusing birds.

I would crop off the RHS to just past the first bit of foliage and a bit more than that from the LHS to better draw the viewer in to the subject. The I would brighten up the actual bird some 3 or 4 stops so you can see the detail: by Dodging; or sliding the Middle (gamma) Levels slider left to a value of about 2.5 if you don't mind lightening the foliage too; playing with the Shadows/Highlights Adjustment. Hope this is a useful "hand"?

Ian
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed the exposure is off.

As above lightening the image will bring the bird out, but you may also blow out the sky. If you can mask the sky and bring everything else up a bit.

For next time, use spot meter on the subject to correctly expose the image. Try bracketing, 1 stop over & 1 stop under (3 shots in all) to get the best exposure.

The reason the foreground is dark is your meter takes an average of the whole scene, it can not compensate the the bright background. Spot metering takes a reading from just 1 small area, usually the centre of the picture

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Lend me a hand please? " Pretty sure Cathy is referring to the bird.
    It's an unusual pose for a cocky.
    Nearly a nice photo!
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Mark I was refering to the bird (as in it saying it ) I know the pic's pretty bad photo wise hence why its in not for Critque lol

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one Cat I love the antics on these Birds..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a very convincing effort putting it into "Not For Critique", eh Miaow?

Yes, they can be amusing, but I generally and liberally detest (won't say h-8) them for their destructiveness and their banshee screeching 2m above your head in the backyard
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually amerrat down here they arent too destructive i spose thats cause they have such a wide area etc - we all feed them - one the other day actually let me get within like 1/4 a foot from him moving slowly etc - i slowly went to touch it but could see a possibly bite lol so stopped lol
    Some days see like 20 out at the feeder - Corellas are noisier and more of them when they descend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife's uncle has 2000 hectares down South. When he puts out feed for his sheep, flocks of over 2,000 of these little sods swoop down and devour massive amounts of his hard paid for feed.
    In my yard I have a half dozen fruit trees. I don't mind sharing the fruit with the birds, as I love birds coming to the yard, but these little sods take a single bite from each Japanese Plum, and then leave the rest, or drop the remainder. THAT peeves me REAL fast !!!! It will get to the point that I'm going to net the trees to stop them, and then put some out for them myself.
    They are amusing to watch though.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't realize it was not for critique. I was reading the forum on taptalk & I only saw a new post, not what topic it was under.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photmike its ok dont need to appologise lol and Ezokiel yeah can imagine they'd cause a lot of problems eating all the stock food

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also really dislike these rats of the sky mostly because they wreck our macadamia and pecan nut trees. howeve they make great photographic models and great practice for trying to get perfect exposure.