User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Pop-Up, or some weasel? And two questions.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop-Up, or some weasel? And two questions.

Folks,
    Recently I have been getting these ??Pop-ups. The one shown appeared when the mouse was only hovering over the double-underlined "email". I know it's enhanced text, but I have not had them before. I used to have to click on the word.

Q1. So, will a pop-up blocker fix this?

Q2. I was actually looking for a program that would alert me to whenever I receive an email in any one of my 4 email addresses. I found this on called [url=}Pop Peeper[/url]. Has anyone heard of it? Does anyone know of any other/better?

Ta, Am.

Annoying ?pop-ups
    pop-up.jpg
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not exactly sure of this as I'm using a Mac now (not sure why I used to hate them...), but I'm fairly certain you can block Pop-Ups in IE (and in the other usual browsers as well). It's in the Settings / Internet Options / Security - you can Allow or disable them.

As far as notifications on incoming mail goes, if you used outlook, it would have thought you could get the mail symbol to appear in the 'tray' using Options.

On a Mac, Safari will certainly block Pop-Ups - too well sometimes and when any of the mailboxes get some mail, the number of unopened emails appears on the Safari Icon on the tray.

Hope this helps a bit.
    John
    www.pbase.com/jb53 www.flickr.com/photos/johnb53

CC always welcome (encouraged!)!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pop-Up Blockers are part of fairly much all browsers these days, you just need to find out how to activate it and set it up.

Re email. I use a program called Trillian. It links my emails, facebook, twitter, instant messaging, skype and more, into one application. So I can keep up with everything all in one place. Wiki info on it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillian_%28software%29
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Folks for thiese pointers. I have since found out that the phenomenon is called "text ehnhance", or the like, and you have to somehow "unsubscribe" from it through a website. (Well, I nevah!!) I cleared cookies but that didn't help. I'll look into it more when it annoys me again and if I find out anything I'll let you know.

I found this out after installing a Pop-up blocker for Firefox.

I don't use Outlook/Express but web-based clients like Yahoo and Hotmail (and Optus webmail). I have Windows Live Messenger running in the bg and it acts as a Hotmail notifier. I have found some other notifiers but don't like the look of the source sites.

Am.
    PS: Rick, looking into Trillian.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-02-2012 at 10:28pm.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it doesnt help you but i just loaded the exact page as pictures by your lovely self and the word "email" is not double underlined therefor not having to deal with said pop up... but i use Opera, not FF.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foakes.

Eureka! Those pesky underlines have GONE!!

There were two solutions:
    1) I had somehow installed a Vuze plug-in (along with something recently). I had no such plug-in, so,
    2) In Options, block cookies from textsrv.com.

It seems to have worked.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 14-02-2012 at 11:12am.