User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: need help choosing an intervelomoter for time lapse photos/video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need help choosing an intervelomoter for time lapse photos/video

Hey Guys - just thought id get some advice on what brand intervelometers you guys have used before or use now.. i want to try some time lapses with my Canon 550D and obviously need to buy an intervelometer to organise the shots.. another question as well- i have a big enough SD card, but what about the battery? Will it survive for 9 hours if I'm taking a shot per minute?

Thanks in advance guys

Imogen
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Imogen,

I bought one of these but for a Nikon quite a while ago:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vivitar-W...item1e67e3bb96

Works well, you can configure the number of shots, the length of each, and an interval between. The main disadvantage (with the one I got anyway) is that it doesn't have a power switch so I need to pull the 2xAAA batteries. You can use them also as a basic wired shutter release.

Not sure abotu the battery but I suspect not. 540 photos is quite a few, and depending on the environment, the battery might give below capacity if it's a cool night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to set up and let it run at home before the actual shoot, so you can get a handle on long the battery will last. Then you'll have to set your alarm to go and change the battery at some godless hour. ;-) After allowing for temperature impacts on the battery drain.
    I use the Nikon dedicated timer, have also used the Nikon tethering software, but might not be suitable for your needs.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard good reports on these and intend getting one for my 7D. I have had their std one on my 400D for nearly 5 years with no issues.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 30-01-2012 at 6:02pm.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting Keith. I didn't know you could get them like that. Given it holds two batteries, it'd probably solve the power problem over 9 hours too. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my dell mini running the eos software. It can be setup to do an interval shoot, can transfer the images as shot, and plugged in to 240v, can last a full night shooting / day shooting etc. Another option if you have a laptop and don't do it often.
    Steve Rowlandson
    Http://steven.rowlandson.name
    Canon 1D Mark III & 20D Gripped. A few lenses, flashes n stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the MC-36 from Nikon, but not much good to you.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just ordered the LCD Timer Battery Grip for my 7D from the above link.
    Keith.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a chinese clone branded Aputure, available on ebay, I've only heard of one failure they're usually fairly reliable (the original battery supplied with the units should be tossed in the bin immediately though).

A lot of the members on the Iceinspace forum use that model or equivalent for astrophotography.

If you have an iphone and are happy to tether your camera to a laptop you can get an app called dslr remote. The fuctions of DSLR remote are excellent, the intervalometer however is limited in that exposure times (as distinct from interval) are maximum of 30 seconds. I doubt the camera battery would last much more than a few hours at one image per minute, you can an AC adapter for your model (ACK-E8), there are also clones available on ebay if you're willing to risk powering your camera with one, personally I'd opt for the genuine Canon item. It may also be possible to mod the adapter to run from 12V, but you'll need someone with appropriate technical knowledge to do that.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    (the original battery supplied with the units should be tossed in the bin immediately though).
    WHY I have been using after rmarket batteries for over 5 years and never had any issues. In fact it's one of the genuine batteries that is showing signs of slowly dieing with a noticeable reduction of shots to a full charge.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 04-02-2012 at 3:46pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I have just ordered the LCD Timer Battery Grip for my 7D from the above link.
    Keith.
    I would like to know how you like this on your 7D please. cheers

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm curious to know what the MC-36 does that a well built cheap non OEM shutter release and the built in intervalometer doesn't.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also keen to hear how that intervalometer/battery grip combo works too.

Doesn't look like they make one for the 60D, though. Might have to follow this up.
    Last edited by GoldZilla; 13-02-2012 at 4:15am.
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have used the meike timer grip on the 50d and 7d
    and the grip looks and feels good
    the timer works well but the paint wears off pretty quick
    so get familar with the workings and buttons before it happens
    i only really use it for vertical shooting and have not had a problem
    cheers macca
    rephase that the paint wears off the timer arrows etc
    not the grip
    the grip is rubber
    Last edited by macmich; 13-02-2012 at 9:29am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I also wasted my money on an MC-36 when I purchased my D300.

Didn't realise that Nikon had built in intervalometers in the high end cameras since the D200!

I have used it once or twice as the intervalometer in the camera is not as detailed as it is in the MC-36, but the major issue with the MC-36is the lack of an on-off switch!!
    Batteries drain unless you leave them out and only install them for actual use.
    Crikey!.... Nikon can produce some of the most idiotic features in some of their products.
    AFAIK, most aftermarket controllers have provisions for on off conditions.

Mine has been sitting on my desk here waiting for surgery to have it's on off switch fitted .. (I knew there was something I needed to get from Jaycar the other day )
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a third party interval meter with the canon 7d but after I did a firmware upgrade it stopped working and I have had issues with it on field with my 5d mark 2 as well when it failed to trigger the shutter. So I got myself the canon interval meter but it's just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes