User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Need to pick your brains a bit ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to pick your brains a bit ;)

Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to photography, and I'm like a sponge trying to absorb everything I can
    It's a bit of a novel, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read

I bought ToBy (my Canon D60) in order to complete a project in 2012.

I am a Face and Body Artist based in Queensland. I am very passionate about what I do, and I wanted to find a way to share my love of bodypainting and an important message with young women. This is in no way a sexual or provocative project, and there will be no nudity.

I would like to inspire women through my artwork to find their inner wings and remember that they have within themselves the strength, the confidence and the passion to follow their dreams and aim for the stars.
    Because I believe that "Every Girl is Born to Fly"

There will be approximately 15 finished artworks, each one containing a different winged creature painted on a model and representing a different character trait. For example
    The Eagle for Confidence, Courage and Determination
    The Owl for Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding
    Pegasus for Independence, Individuality and Freedom

Each of the artworks will also be representative of the model and their story. There will be an exhibition at a local art gallery to display and hopefully sell some of the pieces, with a portion of the proceeds going to Layne Beachley's im for the Stars Foundation.

The thing is, this project is my baby, and subsequently I would like to be the one to produce each image from the painting to the photography

I have been having a browse, and trying to learn as much as I can However I am unsure whether I should purchase items like umbrellas, soft boxes, backdrops etc of if I really need them at all?? Most of the images will be shot indoors, and will need to be either in front of a plain backdrop of some sort or against a canvas that I have also painted. I don't have a massive budget, as I spent quite a bit on ToBy

Your thoughts would be much appreciated
    Thanks again
    Beth
    ยท
    Total Newbie
    Canon 60D - Named ToBy (short for ToyBoy - Hubbie's 4wd is his "Mistress", so I have a ToyBoy )
    50mm 1.8 and 18-55mm lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short...yes. Unless of course you have a very well lit indoor area. As you will only be shooting on model at a time a small set up would be all thats required. Maybe two softboxes/umbrellas and studio flashes. You could try strobes with softboxes/umbrellas but might not get enough ooomph from them. Are the models standing, sitting, laying??. It makes a difference on how you light them. Im northside brissy and have lights etc so if your interested in having a practice Im happy to help

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Adrian
    I found a studio lighting kit that includes
    backdrop stand 2.8 x 3m
    1 black and 1 white backdrop
    5 x 32" umbrella
    1 x 32" reflector umbrella
    5 x light holders
    3 x light bulbs
    2 x flash lights
    5 x lighting/umbrella stands
    and carry bags for everything
    Total $259

do I need all that, or is it a bit of overkill?
    I really appreciate your input
    Thanks

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Adrian. Yes, you will need good light to get good results. It can be achieved with natural light but much easier to control it with studio lights. Budget counts though, do not be tempted with a 3 light set for $750, it is almost certain they will not have enough power.

Project sounds like fun, good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, for decent results you need some form of lighting rig & background. However, the cheap kits can be ok for simple lighting set ups.

Your $260 kit with 2 lights will NOT light a white background & a model. However, they will light a model & a black background needs no lights . Or you could use 1 direct light on the model and a centre spot on a colored background to good effect.

Honestly a soft box will be better than an umbrella, and a single soft light close to the camera is easier to control shadows until you know your way around multi lighting setups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    though a 3 light set and photoshop might do the trick but its not for the feint hearted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with that light setup...how you going to trigger the lights?