Thread: Please Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Support

I am an amateur photographer. My aim in life is to become professional
    currently i am in need of inspiration and support

i would really appreciate it if you could support me by liking my facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toxic-...10016385776533

or by following my Deviantart
    http://talktothehorizon.deviantart.com/

Please any support is awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Maybe you'll participate and learn from and share with people here rather than just redirecting to your own site on first post?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry
    i guess you assume most people have a facebook
    this does seem like quite an interesting website and i intend to visit regularly

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most people on here will not 'like' a facebook page etc, just cause someone asks. We tend to 'like' something, if it is deserving of being so.

Getting X number of likes is not going to make you a better photographer, lots of hard work, business skills etc, will! And to be honest (you need people being honest with you when it comes to turning photography into a business), your photos on your FB page are not going to get you much praise on sites like AP. You have a long way to go before you are going to get a WOW, from members here.

So start posting photos, read the critique and feedback, and learn from it. If you take it all on board, learn, and apply yourself, then you will progress and can start looking at starting a business.

Might sound harsh, but it is reality of being a photographer professionally. You MUST be able to take superb photos under any conditions, every time! Support is not about how many 'likes' you get.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-01-2012 at 5:50pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this first...
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...l-Photographer

Then start posting images here, get feedback; also enter competitions and join a local camera club, but above all develop your skills so your images rock!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good way to start looking "professional" is to be able to spell correctly.

Sharing does not have an e in it.

That is the first thing I noticed in your about section on your facebook page. Sorry, but needless to say, I stopped looking at that point.
    Last edited by I @ M; 25-01-2012 at 6:37pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Sorry, but needles to say, I stopped looking at that point.
    Well done Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join in Rattus, you'll find this site extremely useful, but it is a community of photographers who contribute of all skill levelswith beginners, amateurs, and professionals.

Rick made some good points about FB, likes, experience and learning, and posting and CC-ing others. It's the best way to learn. As he said, it might sound harsh, but AP thrives on contributions from all. This was why I jumped initially and said not to redirect to your external site especially on first post. Many people here have external sites, but they're not 'pushed' onto other members, they're secondary to participating here.

So join in and post some photos here and see others'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hope you have not been scared off I can't spell either but have managed to get a few things published both stories and images (paid). Looked at your images on FB and I saw every thing that could be wrong with images. Before you start to think I don't need this grief I think you do. You say you want to be a professional photographer sorry but don't think I can see any one wanting to hire you at the moment and not for some time. You need to learn a lot and work hard on a lot of things.
    I would love to be able to make a living from photography but I'm not good enough at to many things to make that step. The things I think photographers need to be good at are
    Business
    Self promotion (networking)
    People skills.
    Taking criticism
    Develop a thick skin
    Taking photographs (not snapshots). In lots different fields
    Im sure the list is longer but that enough to start with.
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Most people on here will not 'like' a facebook page etc, just cause someone asks. We tend to 'like' something, if it is deserving of being so.
    I understand that its why i came specifically to a website dedicated to photography
    I merely wanted people to have a look at some of the photo's there so i wouldn't have to re-upload them
    and if they liked it then they can be updated with more photo's that i upload

atky, Thanks for the advice
    I @ M, Didn't notice that thanks for pointing it out
    you all have good points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi rattus

The idea of this site is to post photos for critique by professional, amateur and semi pros.ie members.

The reason it's best to do it here is that others learn by what others say to you about your photos.

We grow as a community.

the other advantage of posting here is that if you are noticed and favored by anyone who sees your work, there is a forum here where you can post links to your own site, and people can find you.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work if you decide to post.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    ....... its why i came specifically to a website dedicated to photography
    I merely wanted people to have a look at some of the photo's there so i wouldn't have to re-upload them
    and ......
    um "i would really appreciate it if you could support me by liking my facebook page"
    "website dedicated to photography" relies on us getting involved and participating in some way.
    If you don't "re-upload" then I'll never see any of your images.
    You can create a signature here that includes a link to other places that have more of your images, then if I happen to see things that you post here that appeal, then I may go and have a look.
    Anyway, welcome aboard Rattus, I do hope you become an active member here. There's plenty of sharing and learning to be had.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at some of the photo's there so i wouldn't have to re-upload them
    One of the first lessons to learn for any photographer that wants to "turn professional" is that professional photography is service-business. It is up to you to make it easy as possible to your customers to find you, to get to know you. Imagine a door-to-door bookseller that doesn't bring the encyclopedia's he's selling but requests his customers to go into the city to check out his store. It just doesn't work that way.

It sounds pretty harsh but since your (assumed) audience is here, show your work on the forum or don't bother to ask at all.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good way to start looking "professional" is to be able to spell correctly.

Sharing does not have an e in it.

That is the first thing I noticed in your about section on your facebook page. Sorry, but needless to say, I stopped looking at that point.

judging by some of the facebook images and her blog Rattus is only a youngster ..might be a good idea to not to sound too harsh or get on too many soap boxes...perhaps look at that rather than a few misspelled words !
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 26-01-2012 at 9:28am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommo, the OP asked for advice and I offered some, they in turn took the advice as just that.

They also stated that they wished to become "professional" and as far as I am concerned being a "professional" indicates that they wish to make it their full time money earning occupation and if they wish to present themselves in the best light in business then spelling and grammar in general reflect the said "professional" ability.

I am NOT on any soap box and to me the age of the OP is relevant to the degree that the younger they are the better placed they are to learn early to modify their ways in order to succeed.

There is a lot more to being a "professional" than purely the ability to capture images.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that its why i came specifically to a website dedicated to photography
    and if they liked it then they can be updated with more photo's that i upload

you don't necessarily have to re-upload your images again.

I also have a dA account and before AP had anywhere to upload images too(the gallery), I used to link my images on AP from dA.

It's quite easy to do.(sounds easier than flickr anyhow)... open any image in dA and rightclick it and select 'copy image location'

Once you've done that, you simply paste(rightclick->select 'paste') the link currently residing in memory into the URL link that opens up when you use the image loading icon in the reply box toolbar.

If you're using a browser with tabbed browsing ability this is a very simple way to post to AP.

dA is not a good site to post too if you want deeper analysis of your images/technique/processing style. 99.9999% of comments are of the "Wow" and "I love it" type.

You will get some of those types of comments here too if the image is worthy of them, but in general you will get a deeper reason for why the image is liked, or not.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattus, firstly... and welcome to Ap.

As most have mentioned above, this is by far one of the best places for learning, and going by your opening post your keen to learn.
    Jump in, post up some of your pics and let the members here offer you advice and feedback on your images. That will be the best way to learn and hopefully by taking this on board you will one day reach your goals and dreams.

I had a look through your blog and FB page, there are some good photographic ideas there, unfortunatly most just do not have the final result. To me they all seem a little like "shoot from the hip/candid style" images.

Maybe...start again here

Jump in here and introduce yourself. Let us know a bit about yourself and what gear your using etc et.

THEN

Jump in here and post up a few pics. Feedback and direction from guys and girls that have been doing this for years and years is better than 100 likes on your FB page.

Good luck and hope to see you in the forums

Wayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommo, the OP asked for advice and I offered some, they in turn took the advice as just that.

They also stated that they wished to become "professional" and as far as I am concerned being a "professional" indicates that they wish to make it their full time money earning occupation and if they wish to present themselves in the best light in business then spelling and grammar in general reflect the said "professional" ability.

I am NOT on any soap box and to me the age of the OP is relevant to the degree that the younger they are the better placed they are to learn early to modify their ways in order to succeed.

There is a lot more to being a "professional" than purely the ability to capture images.

Im sorry Andrew..but your first reply to the OP came across as ridicule,

sorry but thats the way the text reads on my monitor....perhaps im mistaken
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 26-01-2012 at 5:14pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully not going to far OT here, but Tommo, that's simply your point of view, and if you hold that point of view consistently across every aspect of CC, then that is your choice.

BUT CC is simply CC and it's generally defined as constructive criticism. Whether that be in a thread about images or in a general thread about 'professionalism' makes no difference.

I saw Andrew's reply as CC, so that the OP can learn more about what others would like to see from a professional ... and spelling is important if you are to have a website announcing yourself.

Fair enough this is only in a casual post about not really all that much, but you have to start somewhere, and it's best advised to break bad habits before they get the better of you.

That's my interpretation of Andrew's reply, which is markedly different from yours.

What's humorous (to me) about this particular topic you just raised is that I tend to behave more like Andrew when it comes to browsing 'professional' web sites.

Last night I went searching for the two entities that are at the centre of the copyright debacle currently happening in the UK.

The two companies at the centre of the row are called New England Teas(the copyright infringer) and Temple Island Collection(the infringee)

had a few minutes looking around the infringer's website to see what the fuss was about(but I found nothing) and then clicked on the link to the infringee's site and held that page for about 15 sec, befroe I closed it.
    On that site, where the image at the centre of the row is located is a line that reads .....

" Gifts inspried by the famous red London bus. "
    I was so inspried .. that promptly closed the page.(sorry but that's just the way I am too).

I have no professional web site, and don't really have any plans to do so either, and I have a very limited gallery up and running at the moment, but that was set up about 4-5 years ago and never updated since it was created .. I have no speeling errors on that gallery because I am petty about such a simple topic, even tho I didn't need to be.

In a reply I allow myself leeway .. a lot of leeway as I generally muck something up .. usually the word muck! (one day I'll get it right tho).

Not a very inspring reply I know, but that's just my point of view.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    In a reply I allow myself leeway .. a lot of leeway as I generally muck something up .. usually the word muck! (one day I'll get it right tho).
    If we were on FB I'd like this, but since we're here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast