User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: 5D Mk III or 7D Mk II ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D Mk III or 7D Mk II ?

Interesting little artical sent to me by my son Joel (JSP) Guess you have to make up your own mind for now , Looks interesting though , Whats your thoughts - Bill

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/24/...tted-in-kenya/
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spotted that this morning.

As for the camera, it's hard to say. It could be a prototype or test model of an upgrade to either camera.

The lack of a pop-up flash doesn't necessarily prove it's a 5D, but from a product age perspective, it makes sense that a 5D II successor would be more imminent than a 7D successor, as the 5D II is the oldest product in Canon's current DSLR range.

On the other hand, maybe the 7D is selling extremely well and Canon wishes to capitalise on that market.

Time will tell.

I'll watch from a very passive distance. I tend not to follow Canon EOS/EF product developments and rumours much, as I'm rarely in the market for anything.

For the sort of photography I'm doing, one cannot ask for a better camera than the EOS 5D Mark II without breaking the bank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this last night while trolling through the web.

I am in the market for a 5D MkII, but being the sort of person I am, I like to have the latest model of anything I buy, so I'm going to wait and see what happens with a new version.
    As the 5D MkII was released in 2008/9(?) it's about time for Canon to refresh it, and the way the price of this camera is going down and down, it seems that new model is imminent.
    Mind you, it is still selling very well but with the new models coming out from Nikon, Canon won't allow itself to be left behind.

I can wait for another few months.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this yesterday on FM and speculations seem equally split between a new 5D, 7D and mythical 3D. Whatever it is, it will be a while before it's officially announced and into production, let alone hitting shelves. Fortunately, my camera continues to take really nice images even when new cameras are released/announced/rumoured.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Fortunately, my camera continues to take really nice images even when new cameras are released/announced/rumoured.
    My camera has that feature too.

It's one of the main features I consider desirable in a camera.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of Stephen's original articles I received

(The link inside the link posted in William's post was not working.)

In this, the Japanese fellow is testing the new 600mm and also the 200 to 400 with inbuilt extender.

WW

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tit Bits:
    The EOS 1DsMkIII is older than the EOS 5DMkII.
    Not suggesting the camera in the image is a new 1Series: just adding the information that the 1DsMkIII is, I believe, the oldest Camera in the current EOS range.
    Yes, the EOS5DMkII is older than the EOS 7D and that (I understood) was the point.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we won't have to wait much longer! CR seems to think it's a certainty we'll have an annoucement of the 5dmk3 on the 28thish!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense I find the prices dropping for the 5d mark 2 already maybe it's true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny enough, the prices for 5D MkII's are actually going up in the US.
    They were cheaper in early Jan than they are now.

According to Canonrumours.com, they now have the final specs for the new MkIII (or whatever they will call it) and that is should be announced around the 28th of this month.
    They are:
    ■22mp
    ■61pt AF
    ■100% VF
    ■3.2″ LCD
    ■Dual CF/SD Card Slots
    ■Price: Around $3500 USD
    ■Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

As the 5D is now available grey for around $2100 delivered, it seems like a big price hike for a better focussing system, more FPS and a marginal increase in MP, although the dual card slots would be nice.

I'm now on the fence if I should get the last of the 5D MkII's or wait to see what other improvements are in the MkIII.
    The MkII is a fantastic camera, and I don't need high FPS, nor a better focussing system for the type of work I normally do, but it would be nice.
    Doesn't look like Canon are going to try and match the MP's of the new Nikon D800 either, which is a bit of a dissapointment to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is 20 odd pages of discussion on CR about what you've said there so I won't go into it much but this one post comes to mind,

"Slight better AF System?" "How much is it worth to have your pictures in focus?" You said it's not too big of a deal for you but it is for most people and this will be the biggest selling point - megapixels schmegapixels 22 is plenty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    Funny enough, the prices for 5D MkII's are actually going up in the US.
    They were cheaper in early Jan than they are now.

According to Canonrumours.com, they now have the final specs for the new MkIII (or whatever they will call it) and that is should be announced around the 28th of this month.
    They are:
    ■22mp
    ■61pt AF
    ■100% VF
    ■3.2″ LCD
    ■Dual CF/SD Card Slots
    ■Price: Around $3500 USD
    ■Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

As the 5D is now available grey for around $2100 delivered, it seems like a big price hike for a better focussing system, more FPS and a marginal increase in MP, although the dual card slots would be nice.

I'm now on the fence if I should get the last of the 5D MkII's or wait to see what other improvements are in the MkIII.
    The MkII is a fantastic camera, and I don't need high FPS, nor a better focussing system for the type of work I normally do, but it would be nice.
    Doesn't look like Canon are going to try and match the MP's of the new Nikon D800 either, which is a bit of a dissapointment to me.
    You forgot 1 important thing. IQ for ISO. I reckon the new sensors will be able to get 2 to 3 stops more than the current 5D2 in terms of ISO noise. That will be the convincing bit for me to pull any trigger. After announcement i wonder how long will it take for the 5d3 to reach the stores. After hitting the stores then waiting a few months for the prices to come down from the rrp due to the mad rush. If the 1Dx wait is anything to go by.... 5D3 will only be available 4th Q of the year. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paddy, I mostly use manual focus anyway, and even the autofocus on my 60D is pretty good, so if the new 5 is better than that, I'll be happy, although I know a lot of people won't be happy unless it uses the focussing system of the 1Dx, which I somehow doubt.

Higher iso would be good, especially for indoors without flash, but I guess we'll all have to wait until next week to find out exactly what it will be like, and even then, it'll probably be 6 moths until we can actually buy them.
    Even deliveries of the 1Dx have been delayed, so I don't hold out much hope to get a 5D MkIII for at least 6-9 months anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the dual card slots I will welcome with open arms for my line of work and data back ups! The AF I couldnt care that much as the current 5D2's AF system is fine for weddings and studio stuff, but any improvement would be welcomed too.

what I will be interested in the most is the improvement on high ISO. Frankly, the 5D2 was far eclipsed by the D700/D3 sensor - the latter I did not mind going up to 5000 or 6400, but the 5D2 I wouldnt go past 3200 - which was quite noisy already.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying its not possible but I think most expectations of 2-3 stops ISO improvement over current FF eg. 5D2 are probably highly optimistic.
    Of course the proof would be when the cameras actually ship.
    But if you believe some of numbers being thrown around about the quantum efficiency of current sensors, we're already within about half a stop from a theoretical 100% efficient sensor in the top sensors.
    So a gain of 2-3 stops in RAW from a 5D2 (which already ain't shabby) puts it in the realms of unknown technology. Black silicon anyone?
    Of course jpegs and software gains are another story but it's hard to believe Canon wouldn't put their most efficient sensor in the 1Dx when it is very obviously targeted at pro sports and pj.
    My bet would be both Canon and Nikon plateauing at the top end with similar performances until a fundamental game-changing tech come along. Again where's that black silicon.
    But there might be some nice gains in intermediate ISO and quality of noise (lack of pattern noise) eg. Between 1600 and 8000.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect a 1 stop minimum, with 2 stops feasible iso improvement. Canon have obviously upped the ante with their processors and with "only" 22mp this should be easily achievable.

the new focus system is a welcome upgrade.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The magic date of 1st April is also coming closer....
    Last edited by vk2gwk; 25-02-2012 at 3:01pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vk2gwk View Post
    The magic date of 1st April is also coming closer....
    2nd march. I've got a friend working for Canon Aust as marketing. Sadly due to NDAs he can't tell me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interested to see what the specs end up being.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7