Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ethics of posting street photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Rick said!

I understand that according to the law, I have a right to photograph a pile of rusting junk sitting in an empty paddock, but my morals in this instance take precedence over what is lawfully allowable.
    I didn't take up photography for the purpose of making enemies and foes. This chap requested that I stop as he believed that I was on a recce mission for some apparent lowlifes to come back and pilfer his valuable piles of rust, and I tried my best to assure him that was not the case, and I just photograph things.. or stuff.. weird stuff.

The vast majority of people don't see photography the way we do. We as in us enthusiasts, or professionals if any frequent AP that is
    They see photography as snaps of their friends/family/pets and or self from arms length. They find no interest in other people the way we may. They see it as perverted and invasive. They have no clue, obviously, and we should operate knowing of this general mindset.
    We're already losing too many of our liberties photographically speaking, and there is nothing to say that more won't be lost if we don't act with a level of responsibility.

Sometimes we simply have to accept that we're going to be exposed to the public at some time in our lives, even tho we may not want to be.
    Whether that's to go to the shops to get milk, or to the psyche to get treatment or to the chemist to get the prescription, the simple fact of life for 99% of the population is that we need to get out.
    Others may not adhere to this principle and become introverted and reclusive.

The question is, of the two necessary evils, which one has a greater weight, or takes a higher priority in life.

This fear of Orwellian regulation, or the mental health of an individual?

I'm with Andrew on this one, I don't care if anyone takes my picture .. they're the one's risking cracking what would otherwise be a perfect piece of glass
    Had that happen to me too one day.
    I'm in the car in traffic in the heart of the CBD. I hear a voice saying hey smile, and I turned and within a second or so posed for a couple taking an image of me stuck in traffic at a tram stop in a beatup, filthy wagon with courier written down the door.
    Couldn't care less. But I prefer for people(strange weird creepy people mainly) not to take images of my kids, even when out in public.
    I know that there is nothing that can be done about it, and simply accept it, but I'll ask anyone that does so to remove/delete them.(even tho I've posted images of my kids on AP).
    But there's no getting around it, I have to take my kids out every now and then, or should I batten down the hatches and barricade the entrances just for the sake of privacy!

The problem is that this is an ethical question on the part of the photographer, and we just have to accept that in life there are extremes to which people believe in.

Some will simply ignore the request of the subject and show a complete lack of respect and hence (what I believe to be a level of morals in respecting others wishes), and others do the opposite and realise that the wishes of the individual subject is greater than a right to practise some silly hobby!

FWIW, I'd loved to have snapped a shot of an extremely interesting(to any guy), attractive(to any guy) and scantily clad young lady, of all places at a petrol station yesterday as she was joyfully prancing toward her vehicle, for this most delightful but brief breezy instance, but ethics would have stopped me even if I had the camera at hand and ready to shoot
    Besides... the fear of persecution as a pervert would also have played a major part in stopping me

My morals/ethics are that I respect the privacy of the individual more so than my legal right to press the shutter if the situation called for it.
    If the subject was unaware of my photograph, then I'd assume that they consented.

Given the nature of the population's view on photography in public places, I think photographers need to tread carefully, lest the law changes against our current wishes.

It's simply a matter of responsibility. Abuse it, and over time the many complaints will turn to anger, and then to a law that may be lacking in some way.
    This happens all the time in other aspects of life, and if you blinker yourself to this possibly happening to our avoured hobby, then you risk losing what you currently have.

All it requires is a sensitive judge, or politician, or whatever to begin the process of change, and the general public won't give damn about any change in the current law.

I reckon most people have some story of an ethical or moral level, even if it has nothing to do with the law(or photography).
    As an example of what I'm referring too:
    We both have a right to become paparazzi if we wish too, as this is apparently a legally allowable employment opportunity.
    My ethics/morals or inner philosophical positions(call it what you will) precludes me from entering into such an employment situation. This is not about ability or opportunity(even if I was handed such an opportunity on a plate with acceptable renumeration, I couldn't do it. I'd be deleting more images than I capture, which would help me manage my terabyte of images actually! now that I think about it

The problem with morals and ethics is that there is no set boundary for everyone to adhere too. What's unethical to one person is perfectly acceptable to another.
    The legality of it is not always a consideration to abide by.
    I've also been in a situation where my ethics or morals have lead me to fabricate a more appropriate truth so as to not get a family member in trouble with the law.
    I see the concepts of law and ethics as mutually exclusive if the situation calls for it.

Each to their own.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    The problem with many people (not necessarily you) is that they want their own moral codes reflected laws. The I don't like it, so they should ban it mentality that infects society.
    The only way to deal with this is to act responsibly and not allow a sense of ego to override common sense.

Give these types fewer reasons not to infect society with these draconian measures.

If the general public calls for changes to laws to reflect the modernisation of life, this is a democratic function that we can't stop in any way.

hence our(not you and me, but all photographers!) responsibility is to act responsibly to minimise these situations that lead to change.

It's like the cancer that is the speedhump and the local road closure(to locals only)!

There is no law that states you can't use a legally trafficable side road that allows you the option to avoid heavy traffic.

When I started as a courier, I barely remember any roads that had speedhumps, but over the course of time as traffic became heavier and more drivers looked for an escape route, the locals voiced their concerns and the authorities did something about it.
    It was subsequently much easier to get out of courier work than to find new roads that weren't infected with this virus. Took me over 20 years to finally do it, but it was inevitable.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 26-01-2012 at 11:46pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Scotty72

>> My work has cameras around and photographs are taken without our consent- is that unethical.
    Same with shopping centres, railway stations etc.

Theres a difference between some machine blindly recording a shopping mall and a photographer deliberately focussing on an individual. The recording is unlikely to be published, no particular individual is the focus of attention, the intent is to protect people and their property, and most likely the recording will be wiped after time with any individual's presence on it never seeing the light of day. I think you're comparing apples with pears.

>>Imagine a world where everything we didn't want was banned. We would still be in the dark ages.

Fortunately enough we live in a world where pretty much everything we don't want, things we really really dont want, are banned. That has moved us out of the dark ages. Law is a good thing.

It seems to me that there is a fine line between popping down to Bondi Beach and taking candids in order to document the people there and popping down to bondi beach to take candids in order to enlarge a personal collection of topless women shots without consent. Importantly, I think that a distinction could most likely be made in law between the two with sufficient public debate. Furthermore I think, such debate, would crystalize in the public mind the difference and any subsequent laws distinguishing between them would serve to protect street photography rather than criminalise it.

But then, Im an optimist about the law.

best regards

Chris.

flickr

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mistletoe View Post

It seems to me that there is a fine line between popping down to Bondi Beach and taking candids in order to document the people there and popping down to bondi beach to take candids in order to enlarge a personal collection of topless women shots without consent. Importantly, I think that a distinction could most likely be made in law between the two with sufficient public debate.
    But how do you know which of these two photos I'm taking?
    Also if someone is topless on Bondi Beach, um .......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its OK to photograph people in public places , but if I was asked to delete a persons image taken in that environment, then Id compile ...I think people should have the right to ask you not to photograph them...the world needs better values that it currently has...how many of the people here that feel they have the right to use their camera in anyway they see fit..and then possibly turn a profit from a embarrassing celeb shot, also complain about declining values ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Street photography is one of my favorite subjects, i love doing people shots sometimes with my 40D (now use a 7D) or my Lumix LX5.

My favorite areas are in the city(Melbourne) and at weekend markets, and of buskers, beggars, and people going about their daily lives in general

When i am spotted, i usually wave & smile to put the subjects at ease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,

Firstly, the obvious... if a lady decides to walk topless along Bondi Beach, is it possibly in anyway reasonable for her to demand privacy?

Should she be allowed to dictate the actions of members of the public by demanding that they not look at / point their cameras at her? This is ridiculous.

If you (the general you) and I are in public, what gives you the right to control what I choose to photograph? To do so is to suggest that your rights are superior to mine.

As for the notion that shopping centre security cameras are somehow benign... totally wrong. If I have my camera, you have every opportunity to see where I am pointing it, you can then choose to cover your face / look away etc. Shopping centre cameras, on the other hand are often hidden or behind domes so you can't see them. You don't know if some bored security guard is using the camera to follow you (or your pretty daughter) for his own gratification etc. It has happened before.

I really do not get the speed-bump analogy. However, speed-bumps are generally to deter rat-runners from turning back-streeets into highways... an obvious physical danger (of death) to the residents of a narrow back-street. Therefore any analogy is hardly valid as taking photos is hardly like playing in traffic.

I have (not often) had people approach me demanding I delete my pics. I have always refused, explaining that the photo is my property, but I tell them that if they give me their email address, I'll send them a copy.

I've also had my photo taken when I didn't want it, but I realise that I am not the king of the world and I have no right to subject strangers to my sense of like / dislike - and demand they comply with my whims.

I wish more people would stop believing that their wishes / beliefs were all that matters.

Cheers
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty, read the original post.

It is all about ethics, not rights, law or such stuff.

Answer me, do you feel that by taking an image of said topless lady on the (public) beach that you are actually engaging in a meritorious photographic pursuit or merely snapping a semi naked person for the sake of it?

If that image is one of 500 from the day featuring bare breasted ladies or simply one shot with not much other context other than candidly snapped nudity then I would suggest that you are acting with less than prurient interest. If there are a handful of images of bare breasted ladies in the above mentioned 500 images that feature a real representation of beach goers on that beach on the day then I feel that you are actually involved in a meritorious pursuit.

Forget the "rights and legalese", how do you measure your ideals in that scenario. Are you engaged in an artistic pursuit or are you doing something that could be seen by many as just another dirty old man with a camera?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Andrew is it unethical to take a photo of a topless lady in a public place for entirely prurient reasons?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    So Andrew is it unethical to take a photo of a topless lady in a public place for entirely prurient reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by bowjac View Post
    I was thinking of posting some shots of my street photography, but paused as I pondered my own ethical dilemma.
    Jim, whose ethics, the OP's, yours or mine?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, whose ethics, the OP's, yours or mine?
    Are ethics nothing more than a personal hobby then? Surely there can be some common ground between us here.

But I was asking for your take. As for mine, hmm. [Thinks.] Nah, she's good.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are ethics nothing more than a personal hobby then? Surely there can be some common ground between us here.

But I was asking for your take. As for mine, hmm. [Thinks.] Nah, she's good.
    So, how can you ask another member for their ethics, if you are not willing to oblige us with your own?

Would I take the photo, sure. She is in public, if she didn't want to be photographed topless, she should cover up.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So, how can you ask another member for their ethics, if you are not willing to oblige us with your own?
    Eh? I just did.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And my contribution is that if there was something of truly worthwhile value that told a story ( not commercial ) in the image then I would take it as well.
    If it were simply an idle snap of a semi naked lady on a beach then I wouldn't bother wasting another shutter actuation.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eh? I just did.
    Ah. I misread it "But I was asking for your take. As for mine, hmm. [Thinks.] Nah, she's good."... I read that as you meant "Nah, she's good, I won't tell you my take on it"

Sorry

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    And my contribution is that if there was something of truly worthwhile value that told a story ( not commercial ) in the image then I would take it as well.
    If it were simply an idle snap of a semi naked lady on a beach then I wouldn't bother wasting another shutter actuation.
    Even if she was really pretty?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if she was really pretty?
    Jim, I had a young lady ( pretty ) ask me a few days ago to take some photos of her topless at the beach.

The reason --- she had undergone ( reasonably recently ) breast enhancement surgery and wanted some shots to show her parents back in the UK.

No problems at all, images done and she is happy.

Would I have taken her photo as a complete stranger walking along or sun baking on a beach topless as she often does?

No, because there would have to be something more compelling than just a pretty person and bare breasts to make me want to photograph her. On that day there were probably plenty of semi naked individuals on the surrounding beaches, I felt no great compulsion to go snap happy to capture candid nudity however "pretty" they were.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good answer, but I can't help feeling that you've dodged the question as to whether it would be ethical or not.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, in deference to the OP, the topic seems to have wandered from "street photography" with an emphasis on
    Quote Originally Posted by bowjac View Post
    I don't mean people in a crowd, but a full, frame filling face.
    to one of bare breasted ladies so I think we really should stick with the original question.

It's a good answer, but I can't help feeling that you've dodged the question as to whether it would be ethical or not.
    Jim, read my views based on my ethics in post #54 in this thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, fair enough. I didn't recognise that as an ethical stance, but I guess it could be one.

Must say that while I'm personally not very much interested in people photos, including candids—topless or otherwise—I am quite interested in the positions people take whenever a hint or sniff of prurience comes up. Ethical, or moral, or just a matter of taste and decorum.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast