User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepean weir reserve - combined birding afternoon and sunset shoot. Saturday 4th february

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepean weir reserve - combined birding afternoon and sunset shoot. Saturday 4th february

Welcome to the 2012 Sydney Meets Group!

Ok, I thought that we could kick off the year with a combined shoot at Nepean Weir Reserve in Penrith on Saturday, 4th February. This is a little gem of a place with lovely picnic areas, walks, river views, abundant bird life (well, the times I have been there) and a rail bridge that passes over the river with the setting sun behind it.

I am thinking that we could meet around 4pm and those that wish to do some bird shots can do their thing, then have a a bit of a social get together with some dinner in the park and then head on down to the river for the sunset.

I have never been here at night so I have no idea how safe the area is with the local riff raff. If anybody knows what the area is like please let us know.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD. I AM CERTAINLY OPEN TO OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR OUR FIRST MEET OF THE YEAR BUT I THOUGHT I SHOULD GET THE BALL ROLLING.

PS: If the meet goes ahead it would be great to see some new faces.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm count me in for now
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count Me and Atilla in this one :-)
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep count Lyn and myself in Sounds good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great, count me in along with the family.
    Ness

Nikon D7000, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 XR DiII VC , Nikkor AF-S 70-300 4.5-56 VR
    Speedlight SB700

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    Sounds great, count me in along with the family.
    Dont forget the cricket bat

Formerly: burntofferings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    This is a little gem of a place with lovely picnic areas, walks, river views, abundant bird life (well, the times I have been there) and a rail bridge that passes over the river with the setting sun behind it.

I am thinking that we could meet around 4pm and those that wish to do some bird shots can do their thing, then have a a bit of a social get together with some dinner in the park and then head on down to the river for the sunset.

I have never been here at night so I have no idea how safe the area is with the local riff raff. If anybody knows what the area is like please let us know.
    There can (at times) be some 'riff raff' there, but more importantly, the gates near the rowing club (not the Licensed premises, but the shed that stores the rowing boats) do get locked at around sunset to stop said 'riff raff' coming in. Best to park near the (Licensed) Rowing Club (well light and lots of security) and walk in, or run the risk of collecting your car in the morning!! I am talking about the little building inbetween the club and the start of the loop road in THIS link...

I wished that I could come along, but I could well be down at the PM's 11 in Canberra...

My FLICKR pics, and my blog, AussiePomm
    Next trip: Norway and The Netherlands June '12
    -----------------
    Canon 7D + SIGMA APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have loved to have come along but I'm afraid that I will be overseas that weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, count me in!! How could I miss one so close to home?? There isn't all that much Riff raff, most of the Riffians don't go down to the weir from what I have seen, I have done night shoots down there a couple of times and never seen anything that worries me. Trust me, Penrith isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I see the worst of all areas of NSW and "The Riff" rarely gets a look in. I feel completely safe walking around Penrith at night by myself, particular on that side of Victoria Bridge (the bridge you are talking about).

ERIN'S HISTORICAL RANT:
    Victoria Bridge is of historical significance to the area and it paved the way to easy access to the mountains. It's of sandstone and iron gidder construction. Work on the bridge commenced in 1864 and was completed in 1867. It replaced two bridges that were previously washed away in floods. Initially, they thought that the contruction was far too high above the water than it needed to be, 2m in fact, but this proved valuable when the floods hit in 1867 and the waters rose to just 1m under the bridge's structure and would have surely damaged this structure. This had to be pushed along as the absence of this bridge threatened to hinder the construction of the rail line over the mountains. They had to build a secondary bridge as the horses of the time were spooked by the trains. This is on the weir side of the bridge. Sorry - I love history, particularly colonial history and I am a local, who loves her area and I get a bit excited if there is an opportunity to talk about it!
    RANT OVER

You can get some great shots of the original Victoria bridge from the other side of the bridge while you are waiting for the sunset if you aren't birding - It is an amazing structure and there is also The Log Cabin on the other side up the hill, which is also of historical significance, there are lizards, ducks and lots of wildlife to shoot down there. If you stay into the early mornings you may see some locals staggering back from Panthers too!

WORD FROM THE WISE - BRING AEROGUARD!!!!!!!! The mosquitos were REALLY bad when I was down there last, a couple of weeks ago, especially at the times we will hopefully be there.

Hurray!!!! Very excited!!! A shoot close to home that I can make!! Thanks for organising this, Aunty Narelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yep, I am THAT excited! ---> )
    Better known as Erin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, PS. I'll try and get hubby-dear to bring down my two year old for the picnic and to feed the ducks (She LOVES the ducks), he can take her home for bedtime and I can get some shooting time in without having to worry about her near the water. Hip, hip, hooray!!!! ♪ I'm going on an AP shoot, I'm going on an AP shoot, the first one in many months!!!!!!! I'm going on an AP shoot ♪

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I may be able to make this. My father is probably having some major surgery (at RPA) on the Monday after this so I'll be at my sisters place in Glenmore Park (but you possibly didn't need to know that!)
    If there seems like enough interest I'll come down a day earlier.
    Would like to meet some APers.
    Which also means that if anyone ever comes near Mudgee, PM for a free cuppa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I may be able to make this. My father is probably having some major surgery (at RPA) on the Monday after this so I'll be at my sisters place in Glenmore Park (but you possibly didn't need to know that!)
    If there seems like enough interest I'll come down a day earlier.
    Would like to meet some APers.
    Which also means that if anyone ever comes near Mudgee, PM for a free cuppa.
    Free cuppa?! See you in 6 hours lol

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup sounds good to me (dont faint).

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to come as my son lives in Penrith so maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone
    Canon 1000D twin lens kit. Lenses( EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ll, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro1:1 with hood, Hoya 55mm UV Filter. Picasa 3
    Debbie: (Photo's help us Remember those we have lost.)

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    taking photos of birds nanny, not throwing rocks at them

As Keen As Mustard
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow - some great interest here.

Bernie - thanks for the helpful information. I knew about the gates closing but didn't know how well lit the area is at night. Pity you can't make it.
    Hus - we haven't seen you and Atilla for a while. It will be good to catch up.
    Danielle - We can talk about setting up a shoot with your gorgeous little sister!
    Erin -it's your lucky week! Thanks for the history behind the bridge.
    Ving - I didn't faint. It will be great to have you along.
    Mark L - We are a very friendly bunch and it would be great to meet someone from another area.

With our regular participants Raccoon and Sunset this meet looks like a definite goer. The only thing that might stop us is the weather - pouring rain outside as I type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in at this stage
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this rain is driving me nuts. Was supposed to do a sunrise tomorrow

Ps Nellie,
    I might see if little sis can come along that day, they live in wallacia so I might get her on the way. Will check with dad and my step mum.
    Actually I might just invite the whole family, my step mum wants to learn photography so will see if they want to come along

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I posted into the thread - count me in.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, what time would this be starting?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast