User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Messenger bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messenger bag.

I've been carrying my trusty samsonite for a while now to and fro from work and have decided to upgrade as it's starting to look a little old. I've been looking around online for a messenger type bag that will fit a 15" MBP laptop and a 5d/7d and A medium sized lens (16-35 or 135 or 50L or 85L or 35L or you get the point) and needs to be kinda decent lookin as it's mandatory that i wear a suit to work.

I'm willing to drop about $400ish on a bag and have come to thinking Billingham's Hadley is my best bet. Obviously if i can spend less i would love to! Any other cheaper/better recommendations from the folks?

Thanks in advance!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L which offers ample capacity but no room for a laptop. Actually you can fit one in there but it'll sit at a diagonal and the bag isn't designed to fit one due to the butterfly flap design.
    I see they now have a Chobe and Kiboko 22L+, both of which looks like it's designed to fit a 15" laptop.
    Going by the 30L, the other 2 should also be very light and durable. On the expensive side but well designed.
    My biggest problem with the 30L is if I decide to pack it full, its so heavy (full of gear, not the bag), that I'm afraid I'll get pulled for overweight hand-carry. I haven't yet but its a constant worry.
    So I think the new bags will be just about perfect in size.
    The 30L exactly fits the dimension of the maximum allowed carry on luggage on a plane btw so the other two, being smaller also shouldn't be a problem.

Worth considering but like I said, on the expensive side. But with the way the dollar is, there probably won't be a better time to buy it.
    The Chobe is a messenger style bag whereas the 22L+ is a backpack.

BTW: if you do decide to go for it and wanna share postage, let me know and I may put in an order too.
    MODS: I'm not sure if this is allowed. You can pull this comment if its not.
    Last edited by swifty; 20-01-2012 at 6:08pm.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have the Kiboko, but it isn't a messenger bag, its a backpack, and Swifty, I have been picked on at Perth airport for having a bag too heavy, it looked a little stuffed and just fit into the test frame, but it weighed 17kg!. The Chobe looks interesting, but as Swifty said it is expensive, however these Guragear bags are made of sail cloth, super light and durable.

I have a Crumpler Brazillion $$ home, large but a nice bag. Not the sort of bag you would really want to lug about jammed full of gear all day though.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, i think i was not clear enough. I travel with one lens only. I have a kata 3n1-33 for my lenses and bodies should i need to travel with more gear but this is purely to and fro from work and i usually fit one lens onto the camera and off i go for the day. Also it has to be a messenger/sling bag and not a backpack. The clobe does not appeal as well and it's too big for just one medium lens and a body, but thanks for the suggestion!

Most of the messenger style bags don't look serious enough for work in a suit as i have to meet with directors and stuff.. so need to have a more professional look, thus the billingham. It kinda has a little more classy look to it i think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had a look at this one from manfrotto? The reviews on Amazon seem pretty good

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto...item2a187b7d8a
    http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MB-S.../dp/B004TA71Q8

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Vanguard Up-Rise 38 that fits the bill and they are quite cheap at around $140 or less.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keefy , I have several bags for different occasions. I have a Lowepro Passport Sling for work fits the D90 with 18 to 105 attached plus a Tamron 90. Plus more room for bits and pieces & water bottle. Quite comfy.

Cheers Glen

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions mates! Sorry for the late reply as i just got back from overseas.

I've come to a decision of either Billingham or a normal leather bag with a domke insert like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/In...2/N/4232860913
    It's just finding the right thickness bag.

Thanks again!