User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: The "8 Of The Biggest Photographic Clichés" thread. Your CHANCE to show us: Photo of the Week

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The "8 Of The Biggest Photographic Clichés" thread. Your CHANCE to show us: Photo of the Week

After reading through the 8 Of The Biggest Photographic Clichés thread again this morning,
    and seeing the passion that members have presented about those Clichés , I thought, lets put it into use.

So the upcoming Photo Of The Week starting this Sunday evening (22nd January),
    will be themed "The Biggest Photographic Cliché"

and your entry will be required to be an interpretation of one (or more) of the 8 Clichés mentioned in the original post in that thread.

HAVE FUN

Whilst these are taken directly from an Ausphotography thread, I acknowledge that the original list is a derivative of : http://www.australianphotography.com...in-photography

* As a reminder, here are the 8 Clichés.
    * Your entry must represent one (or more) of these.
    * Also remember that each AP member can enter 2 photos this week.

1: THE ARMS LENGTH SELF PORTRAIT (SELFIES) - Most commonly seen on Facebook where almost everybody present in the shot has to pull some kind of weird face or leer at the camera (usually a mobile phone camera) as a means of expressing just how much fun they are having. This is hardly photographic in the strictest sense and just achieves nothing more than a snapshot of people acting stupid.

2: THE HEADLESS NUDE - The idea behind this is so that the person posing for the photo won't be recognised. It's also the same sort of technique used to persuade girlfriends and wives to be the model in lieu of actually hiring someone professional to do the job. As most of these kinds of shots are done by amateurs, the results very rarely look any good.

3: A CHILD'S FACE SMEARED WITH FOOD OR DIRT - If the subject is the child, they will say that it is cute. In my opinion, I'd rather see a cute smile on a child's face instead of food or dirt which has a degree of repulsiveness to it. YUK!

4: SUNSET/SUNRISE - The sun rises and sets each day and as DSLR cameras begin to proliferate, so does the number of sunrise/sunset shots. There are two distinct types - one that has the sun rising/setting over a horizon and the other is com positionally formulaic involving foreground interest (eg: rocks), a rocky landscape extending away to the right into the middle ground with the setting/rising sun off set to the left. Most commonly seen in seascapes. Done to death and truly eye catching examples are a rarity.

5: COLOUR POPPING - An all Black and white shot with one prominent point of focus rendered in colour, for example, a red flower. Beginners should learn that Colour Popping doesn't suit a lot of images and those that continue using this technique should learn that it's a one trick pony who went lame a long time ago.

6: SHOTS OF HOMELESS PEOPLE - Unless you intend to shoot images for a photojournalism assignment, don't go bothering homeless people. It could be said that this is being exploitative and, as with any other human being, classed as being intrusive. Sit down and talk with them first and always ask permission to take their picture.

7: SOFT or MILKY WATER - A technique involving the slowing of the shutter speed that renders water into a softer type of texture or as a mist. It's been done to death, particularly in the U.K. where some magazines rehash articles about getting that "milky effect" from time to time.

8: OVERLY MANIPULATED PHOTOS - Photographs that look "weird" from having far too many effects and processes applied in Photoshop. Quite often, this kind of thing just kills a good photograph!
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-01-2012 at 7:31am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And to make it even more interesting : Each member can enter up to 2 photos in this competition, rather than the usual single entry.

BUT, if you do enter 2 photos, they cannot be a representation of the same cliché (you have to choose 2 different ones)
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-01-2012 at 8:37am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work on the theme. This is going to be a pretty funny comp I reckon. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems very interesting.
    Looking forward it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROFL very nice work on the theme. I love your thinking

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having great difficulty deciding whether to post a serious "Cliche" image or really have some fun with this. Two entries each, so I might have a bet each way
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm waiting to see if anyone gets all 8 into one image
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a reminder, here are the 8 Clichés.
    Your entry must represent one (or more) of these.
    Also remember that each AP member can enter 2 photos this week.

1: THE ARMS LENGTH SELF PORTRAIT (SELFIES) - Most commonly seen on Facebook where almost everybody present in the shot has to pull some kind of weird face or leer at the camera (usually a mobile phone camera) as a means of expressing just how much fun they are having. This is hardly photographic in the strictest sense and just achieves nothing more than a snapshot of people acting stupid.

2: THE HEADLESS NUDE - The idea behind this is so that the person posing for the photo won't be recognised. It's also the same sort of technique used to persuade girlfriends and wives to be the model in lieu of actually hiring someone professional to do the job. As most of these kinds of shots are done by amateurs, the results very rarely look any good.

3: A CHILD'S FACE SMEARED WITH FOOD OR DIRT - If the subject is the child, they will say that it is cute. In my opinion, I'd rather see a cute smile on a child's face instead of food or dirt which has a degree of repulsiveness to it. YUK!

4: SUNSET/SUNRISE
    - The sun rises and sets each day and as DSLR cameras begin to proliferate, so does the number of sunrise/sunset shots. There are two distinct types - one that has the sun rising/setting over a horizon and the other is com positionally formulaic involving foreground interest (eg: rocks), a rocky landscape extending away to the right into the middle ground with the setting/rising sun off set to the left. Most commonly seen in seascapes. Done to death and truly eye catching examples are a rarity.

5: COLOUR POPPING - An all Black and white shot with one prominent point of focus rendered in colour, for example, a red flower. Beginners should learn that Colour Popping doesn't suit a lot of images and those that continue using this technique should learn that it's a one trick pony who went lame a long time ago.

6: SHOTS OF HOMELESS PEOPLE - Unless you intend to shoot images for a photojournalism assignment, don't go bothering homeless people. It could be said that this is being exploitative and, as with any other human being, classed as being intrusive. Sit down and talk with them first and always ask permission to take their picture.

7: SOFT or MILKY WATER - A technique involving the slowing of the shutter speed that renders water into a softer type of texture or as a mist. It's been done to death, particularly in the U.K. where some magazines rehash articles about getting that "milky effect" from time to time.

8: OVERLY MANIPULATED PHOTOS
    - Photographs that look "weird" from having far too many effects and processes applied in Photoshop. Quite often, this kind of thing just kills a good photograph!
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-01-2012 at 6:53pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sunrise/sunset photos always seem to make the finals though, so they are obviously popular with the photographers as well as voters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll try and combine numbers one and two? Hmmm, on second thoughts ... ;-)
    The world is an AMAZING place . . .
    flickr :: panoramio

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can see a few mobile phone cheezy portraits coming... may even have a dirt smeared face (sun set in bg)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how people will judge them... the most cliched photograph, or the best photographic representation of a cliche?
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmahong View Post
    I wonder how people will judge them... the most cliched photograph, or the best photographic representation of a cliche?
    Up to each member. We created the theme, you enter the photos and do the judging. Each person is free to vote how they wish (as always).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like most photos that make the finals fit at least one of these......
    John
    www.pbase.com/jb53 www.flickr.com/photos/johnb53

CC always welcome (encouraged!)!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Up to each member. We created the theme, you enter the photos and do the judging. Each person is free to vote how they wish (as always).
    Oh yes, I realise that. I'm just wondering (generally speaking) what most members will lean towards. There is opportunity here for the winning photos to be very good interpretations of the theme, or on the other hand they could be hideous but hilarious mockups (and therefore potentially terrible photos in their own right).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just scrolling through these photos posted on the news.com.au website for the "Living Australian" photo competition. The colour popping is rife!

http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gall...-1226251079199

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmahong View Post
    Oh yes, I realise that. I'm just wondering (generally speaking) what most members will lean towards. There is opportunity here for the winning photos to be very good interpretations of the theme, or on the other hand they could be hideous but hilarious mockups (and therefore potentially terrible photos in their own right).
    Which is why we gave each member the chance to enter 2 photos. It will be very interesting to see which way people vote. But I am not going to attempt to influence that. It is up to each person to vote as they see fit on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For once I have to many to choose from........that's not a good thing is it?
    My canon 7d upgrade, only 1 week old.............awwww bless

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty deb View Post
    For once I have to many to choose from........that's not a good thing is it?
    Deb, you keep posting in Site Matters threads. These will not re-activate your account. Post to Site Matters, Out of Focus, Cameramarket Classifieds and the Test Zone do not re-activate accounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering, if I would enter a shot subscribing to 4, 7 and 8, I would end up with a shitty product (especially with no. 8 - oversaturation) and then who would vote for that? Not me.