User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Input Request on a New Monitor Selection for Me!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Input Request on a New Monitor Selection for Me!

Hi All,

My wife has been asking me to get a new monitor for about a year now so now I'm ready to take the idea on.

For 6 years I have had a LG L194WT-SF 19" which has been very good to me over the years and (when calibrated) produced good colours.

So where to now? Well I've readthis great thread I'm hoping for some good information on what's currently available in the 25-25" range which is both IPS or similar and still good for use for internet and watching movies as this will also be seldom used as a second TV.

My budget is up to $1K at a stretch, but likely in the $600-800 range.

Opinions? Thoughts?
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you're on the right track, IPS is the go. I am still loving my Dell Ultrasharp U2711, simply brilliant.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mic, do you find it TOO BIG? looks bloody huge compared to the 19 I have, the 24 I am considering or the 27 this will be.

Also, can I ask if yours sits flat and doesn't have the tilt to the side I read about. I have also read that the monitor lacks polarization coating with creates a blur effect when black text is displayed on white back ground. Also one coating on the monitor apparently effects the colour a bit.

So many decisions and the u2711 is on sale now.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It felt big when I first got it!! I have to put my default zoom on web browsers at around 140% to make everything a nice size. But for Lightroom it is brilliant! I use a 23inch screen at work and I don't really notice the difference these days, I must be used to it.

I haven't heard of most of those issues you mentioned. I know when I was researching there were many talking about an antiglare coating that they didn't like. Mine is awesome, it is perfect in my eyes; calibrates well with my Spyder3 and every check since has been spot on.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, for size of the screen consider also the native reolution of the monitor. I have a 24-inch monitor with native resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels. At the distance it sits on the desk it looks great. A phyically larger screen with the same number of pixels would make the pixels stand out, so if you're going for a say 27-inch, you might want to get on with resolution somewhat more than 1920 x 1200 or 1080 px.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Yeah, for size of the screen consider also the native reolution of the monitor. I have a 24-inch monitor with native resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels. At the distance it sits on the desk it looks great. A phyically larger screen with the same number of pixels would make the pixels stand out, so if you're going for a say 27-inch, you might want to get on with resolution somewhat more than 1920 x 1200 or 1080 px.
    I agree. The U2711 is 2560 x 1440 which is just nice.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPS is really the only serious option for photography.
    LG, Dell U series and EIZO ... depending on $$$

So best value is http://www.lg.com/us/computer-produc...IPS236V-PN.jsp $189 from MSY

But for your budget http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/p...399&redirect=1 20% off
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee that LG is good value, I might have considered two of those had they been around at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a benq 24 inch monitor. Been told it's a good monitor. Any feedback would be great. Cheers
    Cheery

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't vouch for LG but Marianne and I have owned older Dell monitors for years and haven't yet upgraded though we're due.
    We own the old 2405 and 2407 24" series with 1920X1080 resolution and find 24" a great size for editing images
    They would definitely be inferior to the current tech out there but our reluctance to change has been because we know what our images on screen have to look like in order for the to appear as we want on print (without formal calibration, but we've developed PS actions for brightness contrast and saturation so that once we're happy with what we have on screen, run the action and the print will look faithful)
    I don't think I'm much help other than to say that I have yet to be disappointed with a Dell monitor!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought on of these and it is the 'ducks nuts' for photo processing - I think.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/p...093&redirect=1
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also got the Dell U2711. I sit around 1 metre away from the screen, but the sizing is perfect at the native res. Colour calibration is spot on for me as well, as some of the other replies have mentioned.
    Additionally, don't forget, if your an RAC member, you can get a further 10% discount for some Dell products. I did this with the monitor on sale as well, so getting the additional savings is a added bonus.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all,

I have purchased the u2711 on sale from Dell and it's to be delivered this week. I would have been very happy to have had a 68cm TV not too long ago!

I'm also pleased I can rotate this one to portrait orientation. This was a feature I was looking at some years back when I purchased the LG.

According to their website sales conditions and the service officer I purchased through, it is not possible to receive a subsequent discount (RAC) after the sale price.

Can't wait to set it up, but the PC will have to go back on the ground.