User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Why not give your computer a summer clean, and make it run faster

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why not give your computer a summer clean, and make it run faster

With 2012 about to hit, why not give you computer a clean-up.

One of the best bits of software around is Glary Utilities, just download the free version, install and run, and do the one button scan and clean. Restart your computer and it will often start-up faster and run faster. I have been using it for years and its been discussed a few times on AP, but thought a fresh start for 2012 meant it was worth mentioning again
    Last edited by ricktas; 31-12-2011 at 6:08pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really comment personally, on the software. I can see from the info/features that it would be good for those who want such a toolbox of utilities, to handle OS / software issues.

Best suggestion I could make for summer (or prior to hot weather), is to check your computer for dust/dirt/cobwebs etc. and remove any buildup (or have someone who can).
    Matt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I can't really comment personally, on the software. I can see from the info/features that it would be good for those who want such a toolbox of utilities, to handle OS / software issues.

Best suggestion I could make for summer (or prior to hot weather), is to check your computer for dust/dirt/cobwebs etc. and remove any buildup (or have someone who can).
    Far better option then using some 3rd party software.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glary Utilities is a freeware with registry and disk cleaning, privacy protection, performance accelerator and amazing multifunctional tools. It can fix dogged registry errors, wipe off clutters, optimize internet speed, safeguard confidential files and maintain maximum performance.
    wow! does it clean my bathroom as well!

Rick, (and others) how have you found it over the years/months? does it really make a significant difference? if it does half of what it claims its gotta be pretty darn good.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    wow! does it clean my bathroom as well!

Rick, (and others) how have you found it over the years/months? does it really make a significant difference? if it does half of what it claims its gotta be pretty darn good.
    I don't run it that often, but when I do, yes it makes my system start faster and run faster. It seems to clean up all the crap and clutter, that builds up on our systems. It's been a staple bit of housekeeping software that I have used on my systems for many years now.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woofie View Post
    Far better option then using some 3rd party software.
    Agree that cleaning out the dust etc is good, but doing that doesn't tidy up your system registry, or clean out the crap on your system. Both a physical and a software clean are good practice. So how doing a dust clean is 'far better' I have no idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Agree that cleaning out the dust etc is good, but doing that doesn't tidy up your system registry, or clean out the crap on your system. Both a physical and a software clean are good practice. So how doing a dust clean is 'far better' I have no idea.
    To use a 3rd party software package to clean out your system I personally don't think is worth t. Me personally I don't advise people who don't understand the registry to modify it as it can cause a heap of damage and trouble if something is removed that shouldn't be (Yes I've seen 3rd party do this).

In saying that though I guess I didn't think about removing the old software when I replied (my bad). I do it about once a year remove old software I haven't used in ages and don't think I'll need (and free to get back). Otherwise if you have most of your important data backed up, do a reinstall, for me that is quicker to reinstall Windows and software then it would be to go through the system and clean it up. Also gets rid of a heap of things I thought I might need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    It's only "far better" in the way that failure to keep the heat sinks and fans of the motherboard/power supply will at some point probably be the cause of hardware failure (costing $$) .. were as a registry clean etc will only make your system run better (maybe until the hardware fails.. LOL) .. doing both is the best practice
    - Daz
    weathers good.. bird pics .... weathers bad .. storm pics..
    do or do not.. ...stop ya procrastinating!!!!
    Canon EOS 60D, Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS, EOS 300D, Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 IV, Canon EF 35-70mm 3.5-4.5, Canon EF 50mm 1.8