User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noob Purchase.. Canon or Nikon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely think Canon is the way to go but that is personal preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon can't even make a decent printer!! Nikon all the way. Cameras is all they do and they do it well... (he say's with tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearson View Post
    Canon lenses are MADE for Canon bodies.
    And Nikon lenses are made for Nikon bodies. Sony for Sony, Pentax for Pentax...
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has all been said. Buy the best lens you can.
    You will know the one you want when you hold it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    FWIW my opinion re purchase of your first lens is that you should go for a fast zoom in the wide angle to short telephoto (Standard) range.
    For me the standout, bang for bucks, lens in this class is the " Tamron 17 - 50mm f 2.8 XR Di II SP zoom. This lens is fast and provides tack sharp shots right through it's zoom range. I have used one for 3 years now and love it. You should be able to get one for about $400 from one of our site sponsors.
    Note: Again this is just my opinion, there are two Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 zoom lens available, avoid the more expensive one with the image stabilization because the non stabilized one gives sharper results.
    Hope the above helps, enjoy your new toys.
    x2 for the Tamron, if you want a good quality, general-purpose, value-for-money lens. And yes, go for the non-VC version!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bellamy83 View Post
    I would really like a DSLR.. but am open for options... I have horses, so would love some action shots... also family stuff, landscapes.. ?
    Hi Bellamy83,

Originally Posted by ricktas
    The other thing to remember is that photos are 90% photographer. You can buy a point and shoot or spend $10K on a camera. It does not take better photos. Don't get to hung up on which camera, they all do the same basic stuff, and any of the current models, from any of the major brands is quite capable of capturing a scene. What is needed is a person behind that camera who knows what they are doing.

Anyone who says buy Nikon, cause its better than Canon, or buy Canon cause its better than Pentax, or buy Pentax cause its better than Sony..doesn't know shite!

I think that nails it neatly.

I've spent some years going through exactly the same process with music. Who makes the good guitars? Fender, Gibson. Yamaha. PRS. Martin, Taylor, Maton? They all do. There's a saying "Tone is in the fingers" and it's true. Gear lust ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome or GAS as we call it) is rampant - and having bought 14 or 15 guitars I'm certainly not knocking it - but by far the most important part of the equation is the player.

I confidently expect that photography will prove to be the same. The Canon 600D I bought is 'entry level' but photographers in the past have taken brilliant photos with much inferior gear than a 600D. It only has "kit lenses" which are usually reckoned to be pretty ordinary, and I have certainly taken some rubbish with them. But now and again I fluke something which gives me a glimpse of what the system is capable of in the hands of somebody who knows what they're doing. Even when they're cropped way down from an original image, the clarity and detail is just incredible.

The big difference between me and a decent photographer is that they could do it time after time, but I just fluke it occasionally.

So don't sweat the decision too much. Next year there will be a model out that purports to be better than the one you buy today, and even when you choose carefully you may never be 100% sure whether one of the other lenses on offer might have been fractionally better for a specific shot . But these are probably fairly small margins compared with the difference you can make with decent skill and knowledge. Of course, none of this will stop me buying more lenses etc long before I actually need too....

Good luck with your horse shots.

Cheers,

Chris

Here's a Bee cropped out of an original image that was over twelve times bigger! No bad for basic equipment operated by a rank novice. I'm sure that some of the people here could do much better again with the same camera, and do it over and over again too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bell
    I was like you, I did a heap of research before getting into the world of dslr. I decided that I didn't want to buy a beginner camera as I didn't want to have to upgrade not long after. So I was tossing up between the Nikon and the Canon.....I ended up going with the Canon due to the great reviews and I also tested out both camera's beforehand (pretty lucky). It was the best thing that I ever did. I love it....absolutely amazing and quite easy to use if I do say so myself (as a fellow newbie).

But ultimately the decision is up to you....good luck!

Megs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys.. thank you for your help, I purchased a Nikon D7000, have only had it a day so have just been fiddling with the settings and working out a few bits and pieces.. seems there is ALOT to learn! Shall keep me out of mischief for awhile...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Nikon D7000
    Now THAT'S a purchase you will NEVER regret, my friend. Of course, I may just be a tad biased!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys.. thank you for your help, I purchased a Nikon D7000, have only had it a day so have just been fiddling with the settings and working out a few bits and pieces.. seems there is ALOT to learn! Shall keep me out of mischief for awhile...
    Of course we all know a camera is only a tool so brand does not matter but let me welcome you to the Nikon club. My D800 is my third Nikon and the best! You will love your D7000!
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why just nikon or cannon why not a sony or panasonic or even pentax or fuji

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    why just nikon or cannon why not a sony or panasonic or even pentax or fuji
    too late to the party purchase has happened.

congrats on your purchase. you';ll have years of fun with that camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the purchase. I too was tossing between cannnon or nikon. I too went the nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i went canon and havent looked back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob Purchase.. Canon or Nikon?

Nikon all the way
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can read up as many reviews as you want... but at the end of the day, they are just the opinion of someone else anyway.

So here is mine! haha

Like you, I distilled it down to choosing between Canon or Nikon as for whatever reason in my mind at the time, I perceived them as the most serious cameras yet at the same time recognised there was a lot of lens choice and after-market bits and pieces easily available. I used both Canon and Nikon, and after holding them both with different models, pushing buttons, seeing what things did...I went with the D7000.

I guess it isn't much different to picking a car...it all comes down to that personal preference, even though cars all do the same thing.

You wouldn't regret the D7000 and it would be a camera to grow into once you've learned the basics, the room is still there to keep you interested with it's features.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123