Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob Purchase.. Canon or Nikon?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I talk about what feels good for you, I mean not only the physical ergonomics but the controls and how easily you learn them. (not starting a C vs N war...) I find that for me the Canon gear is more logical, it is easy to learn, the viewfinder and LCD are well laid out and easy to read and I quite like the menu system. For some reason, every Nikon I picked up just didn't click with me (pun intended ).
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in much the same boat a couple of months ago. With the 60D and the D5100. I went with the 60D simply because it felt better in my hands. The Nikon shape just wasn't right for me. Whichever DSLR You get, as long as you have the basic skills, will take amazing photos.
    Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 60D (Gripped) | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | Tamron 18-270 PZD | Tamron 90mm Macro | 50mm F/1.8 | Canon 430 EX II | Fancier BH-04 | - www.samgraudins.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I secretly wish that all the camera brands will band together and come out with the utlimate dslr range. There are little bits that i like from each manufactuer and little bits i hate about each as well.

Still dreaming arn't i?

If you intend to buy 2nd hand lenses, sorry to say but the market is dominated by canon and followed closely by nikon. Take a look at your local gumtree and it'll be easier to pick up a 2nd hand canon lens vs a nikon or pentax or whatsover. I'm just stating the facts. Maybe nikon owners are less fickle minded vs canon owners! :P

Also i've read/head this said a few times different ways but the general gist is this: "I've paid a few grand for my 5D/D700/etc camera with the best L/G/limited/etc lenses but still can't take the shots i see?" As rick said, anybrand is good, what matters most is the user first.. then the gear. Imagine slapping a teenage newbie driver into a Porsche GT3 on a track and expecting him to clock anywhere near the timing of an experienced driver in a s2000.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 16-01-2012 at 12:49pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big decision time !

As was alluded to above, you're not just buying a camera body, you will be buying into a camera system.

Of the two you mentioned, from what I've seen and read, the D7000 would be the stand-out.

I've just bought the Pentax K5, heavily discounted since the Ricoh takeover. At $1159.00 locally, with Oz warranty, and an extra battery, it was a no-brainer for me.

However, and there is always a 'however', I already have a big, for me, investment in Pentax lens and stuff, so it was the logical way for me to go.

I upgraded from a Pentax K20D and am delighted with the K5. It's much better than I will ever be.

FWIW, if I was starting out, without any brand affiliations, I'd be having a real serious look at getting the Nikon D700. With the D800 replacement looming it could soon become much more affordable.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say it is really good to see good advice come from various brand users without the usual slaging.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again guys, thank you for the posts... I have decided on the D7000 after much research and your comments... Now my main decision is what lens to buy as my first.. was maybe thinking the kit lens 18-55? or the 18-105? but should i think about a different lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too made the choice over the 60D, I love my D7000 with the 18-105. The extra length makes it more practical and I think it's faster at 55 than the 18-55.
    Last edited by skanker08; 04-02-2012 at 4:31pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh thank you skanker... nice to hear that it sounds like i am making the right choice..

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those that have the D7000 are delighted with it.

I'm sure you will be too.

Don't forget all the learning tools on this site to get you started.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cage; 04-02-2012 at 5:52pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the Nikon, but the thing that sold me on the 60D is the ability to fold the rear screen out and view it at a range of angles.
    Considering that I sometimes try to get overly creative and that sometimes requires the camera at weird angles, or weird extensions, the fold out viewing pane has helped.
    At Fitzroy falls, I held it out over the railing on the tripod to get around a tree that has inconveniently grown up between the viewing platform and the falls. At Floriade, I held the camera at ground level and aimed it up past some flowers to get the flowers foreground with the ferris wheel arching over them in the background, on those occasions I was very happy that I'd made the choice to go with the flip out LCD Panel (and got some really envious comments from the other 2 Canon users who happened to be set up at the same Falls, who came over to ask me about the 60D).

I didn't think I'd ever use the video, but my daughters are now 19 years old, and all my pictures of them are stills. I mate recently brought me a thumbdrive with some video he'd shot at a multicultural festival we'd all attended when they were about 5 or 6, and the footage of my two daughters interacting (One had a big family pack of chips, and kept surreptitiously turning to stop the other reaching into the packet, which we hadn't noticed on the day), has kind of made me aware of just how much more powerful a video can be as a memory than just a single frame. So my intention is that at some events, I'm going to start using the Video feature on mine. It's reported to be better than some dedicated Sony Video Cameras, and all in a camera that takes some superb still photos as well if you know what you're doing with a camera.

But as others have said, comfort makes a big difference too. If you get tired holding it, or it doesn't feel right to you, or you find the controls don't work for you as intuitively on one make over the other, then go with the one that you like the feel of the most. It will likely show in your pictures if you're not comfortable and so rush the shot or don't feel good holding the camera.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 04-02-2012 at 9:45pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day is comes down to personal preference as Nikon and Canon are both great brands, neither of which would churn out lousy products. I opted for the 60D as it had the tilty screen (saw a commercial for it on YouTube... had me sold )

Either direction you go, you'll find enough people to saying you've made the right choice. As some have mentioned already Photography has more to do with the photographer than their equipment.

Good luck and welcome to photography
    Lucky

Canon 60D
    Canon 24-105mm L
    Sigma 10-20mm EX DC HSM

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bellamy83 View Post
    Hi again guys, thank you for the posts... I have decided on the D7000 after much research and your comments... Now my main decision is what lens to buy as my first.. was maybe thinking the kit lens 18-55? or the 18-105? but should i think about a different lens?
    Again, it depends how much you want to spend. a few hundred for a kit lens or a thousand or few for some high quality?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering defecting to Canon, because the 60D can shoot at 25 fps (PAL), but the Nikon D7000 can't.
    I'm interested in video and stills photography, and the film industry has gone crazy over Canon DSLR's.
    But I already have so many Nikon lenses.... it's so expensive to switch over....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One important thing to take into account is the quality of lens you can buy for the body brand you have purchased. I have used both Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses and while Nikon bodies i found in most cases to be easier to get along with and have more operational features, the Canon lenses were by far the better glass. I sold my Nikon gear and bought Canon bodies because I knew I could trust the Canon lenses (L series) to take the images I was after and because I don't like to mix brands. Canon lenses are MADE for Canon bodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW my opinion re purchase of your first lens is that you should go for a fast zoom in the wide angle to short telephoto (Standard) range.
    For me the standout, bang for bucks, lens in this class is the " Tamron 17 - 50mm f 2.8 XR Di II SP zoom. This lens is fast and provides tack sharp shots right through it's zoom range. I have used one for 3 years now and love it. You should be able to get one for about $400 from one of our site sponsors.
    Note: Again this is just my opinion, there are two Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 zoom lens available, avoid the more expensive one with the image stabilization because the non stabilized one gives sharper results.
    Hope the above helps, enjoy your new toys.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go and have a feel in store or if you know a friend with one . have a play with the different types of cameras and go with what you feel is right for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

I have a Canon 7D. It fits perfectly in my right hand because it's a larger body although at times after a long day, it's a little heavy. I haven't bought a 60D because it's a smaller camera to hold although it's lighter. I'll probably buy another 7D body to have consistency.

After a lot of research, I was going to buy a Nikon 7000 for the reasons given already in other replys, and also because it's modern with a lot of good features - older Nikon lenses will work. I was going to buy a Nikon 35mm f2.0 lens as a standard lens. I wanted to try a Nikon to see if the focussing system operated better than Canon as many Canon to Nikon converts seem to say.

I liked the Nikon D300s but it's getting old in technology features.

I didn't buy the D7000 or any Nikon only because I was still intending to use my 7D and the problems I saw for myself were that Nikon's controls operate differently to Canons. The lens twists onto the camera opposite to Canon. The zoom or focussing rings turn the opposite way. If I had both cameras with me, this could mean that I could try to zoom or focus incorrectly and miss a shot.

The LCD display characters on Nikon DSLR's are formed slightly differently to those used by Canon and I personally prefer the Canon.

If I bought a Nikon tomorrow, I would buy a D7000 or as an entry level a D3100 that has received great revievs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have both brands in our household. Each one has its own little things that seem better than the other. I cannot speak for the 60D as I have not had one, I had a 50D, but the D7000 is quite a capable camera. Quality and feel is excellent, it is quite compact but also heavy. I like the way it has 2 roller wheels, one controls shutter speed, the other controls depth of field. I do however prefer Canon as it fits me better and it is what I am used to. Trying both is a good idea as they will feel differently to you and fit your hand differently.

Another point to think about is when you buy a brand you are buying into a complete system. Once you start getting different lenses and flash units it becomes quite a bother and very expensive to change brands. So do a bit of investigating on each brand's offerings and prices with ancillaries. Which one suits you better for price etc. Good luck with your decision but above all, enjoy it and don't let it stress you out!
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearson View Post
    the Canon lenses were by far the better glass. I sold my Nikon gear and bought Canon bodies because I knew I could trust the Canon lenses (L series) to take the images I was after and because I don't like to mix brands. Canon lenses are MADE for Canon bodies.
    Err, sorry, this is just not true and I really can't see how you can make such a claim. Both Nikon and Canon have excellent lenses and some Nikon are better than Canon and some Canon are better than Nikon. However, the differences are so slight that it would be almost impossible for most to see without expensive test equipment. In fact, there are a few Zeiss, Pentax, Minolta and Sony lenses that could be said to tbe better than some Nikon and Canon glass, but again, the differences are so minimal that it would almost be impossible to differentiate between the best from any lens maker. I am sorry, but to make such a broadbrush statement that Canon Glass is better than Nikon glass is just plain wrong and misleading. I can show you tests where Nikon lenses are shown to be better than Canon and visa versa.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what brand you pick, or what lenses you pick. You need to learn how to use them, the limitations of them and how to take good photos.

canon, nikon, sony, pentax, oly etc all make good bodies and good glass, it's about learning how to use your camera, understanding the difference between a kit lens and a pro lens and working with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast