User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Flickr Users : reminder about using the correct linking method

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Flickr Users : reminder about using the correct linking method

Just a reminder to all AP members who use Flickr as your photo hosting service.

Flickr has a requirement in their Terms and Conditions (that you agree to abide by when joining Flickr) regarding linking photos to other sites. The specific wording is this:

Do link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere.

Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites.
    However, pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com
    must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr.
    This provides a way to get more information about the content and the photographer.

So please use THIS METHOD when linking photos from your Flickr account back into Ausphotography.
    Failure to use this method, could see your thread(s) removed from Ausphotography.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-01-2012 at 7:54am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick.
    Some say that flickr strips away the Exif data from images. Mine did originally.
    I have since added copyright into the camera itself, and since then Flickr shows Exif Data.
    Is there any other way this can be achieved?

Geoff.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Thanks Rick.
    Some say that flickr strips away the Exif data from images. Mine did originally.
    I have since added copyright into the camera itself, and since then Flickr shows Exif Data.
    Is there any other way this can be achieved?

Geoff.
    My understanding is that if you upload a 1000 pixels wide photo to Flickr with EXIF intact, then when you choose a size on the linking options screen (on Flickr), if you pick Original, your EXIF will be included, if you pick a different size it isn't. Someone else may correct me on this, as I use Photobucket, and am only mildly familiar with Flickr.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upload to Flickr at 900x600 @ below 250Kb or there abouts, as I always have. Prior to adding copyright to the camera, I didn't get Exif. I show them here at the same size.
    I'll do a test at a smaller size and see what happens.

EDIT:
    You appear to be right Ricktas.
    Members that want Exif to show should use original size images.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 15-01-2012 at 8:31am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Geoff has discovered, the ONLY way to keep EXIF intact is to use the Original size.
    Further, non original will subject your image to compression and other mungeing by Flickr i.e. loss of quality.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So please use THIS METHOD when linking photos from your Flickr account back into Ausphotography.
    Failure to use this method, could see your thread(s) removed from Ausphotography.
    My method is slightly different, in that I wrote my own code to slurp the different details I want when presenting the image here; but achieves the main objective: clicking the image links back to the Flickr page.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    My method is slightly different, in that I wrote my own code to slurp the different details I want when presenting the image here; but achieves the main objective: clicking the image links back to the Flickr page.
    as long as you comply with the flickr t&c, it is all good

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as long as you comply with the flickr t&c, it is all good
    Yeah, I figured that your main concern was that there was a link back to the Flickr page.

i like to include the exposure and equipment details in my image presentations on both my Web site and AP, so you'll usually see something like this under my images:

Photographed at 4:17pm on 21/08/2010 with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM at 85mm for 1/125 sec at f/5.6 and ISO 200.
    I use the Flickr API to extract the exposure and equipment details from the EXIF data, which is stored in Flickr's database, but unfortunately not preserved in the JPGs Flickr generates from the source JPG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of interest Rick why do you care if users arent abiding by their agreement with Flickr about linking back?? why would this impact in AP?
    Pentax K-5iis, DA* 50-135 IF SDM | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 |Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 Macro |Pentax-FA 28-80 3.5-4.7 |Pentax A 50 1.7 |Pentax DA 12-24 | Pentax DAL 55-300|Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milesy View Post
    out of interest Rick why do you care if users arent abiding by their agreement with Flickr about linking back?? why would this impact in AP?
    Because Flickr contacted me and requested I inform/remind members of the correct method. If people continue to not use the correct method, Flickr can stop any links into AP at all. Now I don't really care if that does happen (cause I don't use Flickr), but I am sure all the Flickr users on AP would, when suddenly all their linked photos stopped working.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-01-2012 at 2:42pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair enough

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Flickr contacted me and requested I inform/remind members of the correct method.
    With the sheer amount of happenings on Flickr (it's huge), I'm surprised its staff would have even noticed traffic from AP.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 15-01-2012 at 4:32pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    With the sheer amount of happenings on Flickr (it's huge), I'm surprised its staff would have even noticed traffic from AP.
    It has happened in the past, when someone on AP reported it to Flickr, so that could have happened again. No idea, just got an email from them out of the blue.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has happened in the past, when someone on AP reported it to Flickr, so that could have happened again. No idea, just got an email from them out of the blue.
    Odd!

Perhaps Flickr staff have access to stats on where its traffic originates, and if they notice a high number of referrers from a particular domain name, they might investigate.

If that's even the case, one would think that there are better things Flickr staff can be doing, like adding extra features!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or everyone could just use photobucket instead ;P
    I've been on photobucket for years. Never seen a need to go to Flickr. I assume there are some other benefits for them to be so popular.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Or everyone could just use photobucket instead ;P
    I've been on photobucket for years. Never seen a need to go to Flickr. I assume there are some other benefits for them to be so popular.
    Flickr has been my photographic home since January of 2006, and I've never been on Photobucket; never seen a need. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confused, as use Flickr all the time (using correct links back) but as far as I'm aware EXIF is available on the photos no matter which size you are viewing? I know that photoshop's "save for web" strips Exif info, but didnt think Flickr did....
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbs1 View Post
    I'm confused, as use Flickr all the time (using correct links back) but as far as I'm aware EXIF is available on the photos no matter which size you are viewing? I know that photoshop's "save for web" strips Exif info, but didnt think Flickr did....
    The EXIF data from your original uploaded image is stored in Flickr's database, but the other JPGs Flickr generates from your source image do not contain the EXIF data.

If you save any of the Flickr-generated JPGs to your hard disk and then inspect their properties, you'll see that there's no EXIF data; if you save your original image and inspect that, you'll see the EXIF data preserved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, OK. I just look at the EXIF in Flickr.....rarely download from there.