Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid lens choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid lens choices

Why is it when I go out taking a few pics I see some of the most inappropriate choices of lenses for the environments on offer?
    One place that comes to mind is the Queen Victoria Market, workable focal lengths are 100mm and less, so why are so many 70-200mm zooms spotted, same with Melbourne's CBD.
    The focal lengths that lens has to offer is not what I'd consider particulary useable unless one has a fetish to take acne or nasal hair pics. Add the mandatory herd of pedestrians getting in the way once the desired pic has been dialled in and things become a total waste of time.
    Lets face it, in tight enviroms wider is sweeter for framing and getting that pic, even when out getting those seriously embarrassing candid pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cause most people think that its all about size??

Seriously

My favourite lens for walking about is a 18-105mm or 28-100mm.
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has their own shooting style. Some people prefer wider lenses for street shooting, others like a bit of reach to focus on details. Each to their own.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends what your photography interests are. Some like a 200mm lens for street photography, cause they can capture those candid moments with the subject being completely unaware they are having their photo taken. Isolating the subject from the hustle and bustle around them

Others like a wide angle, cause the architecture and overall 'crowd' are what they enjoy capturing.

And others just simply have no idea.

In the end, three of us could go out, one with a 10-20, one with a 50mm and one with a 200mm to a location, and we would all get something unique from our choice of lens. There is no right or wrong, and to think that way could very well be stifling your own creativity.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-01-2012 at 10:01am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a full frame sensor it could make perfect sense.
    Jase

Comments and critique always welcome.

Flickr

Stuff Canon 5D MK II, Canon 30d, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have suggested, there's really very little 'wrong' lens choices.
    Maybe a 14-24mm for birding might be one or a 800mm mirror lens for indoors events.
    But without going to extremes, most lenses work and provides a unique perspective.
    But that's not to say there arn't better or more conventional choices for certain subjects. But who wants to be conventional :P
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the 70-200 both on a full frame and a crop in the city.

Examples of 70-200 on a 7D

I'm not taking acne or nasal hair pictures. It's all about understanding your FOV and using it to your preference. A longer lens flattens the perspective a little to give emphasis on the background a little more. The first picture in B&W the 70-200 was needed because i was after that intersection it is a bend. I needed the distance to capture the shot straight down the middle.

Maybe if you had a 70-200 you'll understand better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been shooting Landscapes/Seascapes lately with a 120-400, Not conventional , But I like the Image compression it gives , But the main thing is it's different
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's even simpler than that - we can't all afford multiple lenses. I shoot with an 18-200 because it's all I own.
    I'm happy to use a lens that's more appropriate if you're happy to shout me a few new ones :P
    Though I agree with what's been said above. It might be a difference in what people are seeking to acheive.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shooting styles and what people are shooting are as diverse as people themselves, hence you see a 200mm, then around the corner you might see someone shooting with a wide-angle.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you are ust shooting for fun then a long focal length or limited focal range is interesting becuase you take shots you may never take with a super zoom lens.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I've been shooting Landscapes/Seascapes lately with a 120-400, Not conventional , But I like the Image compression it gives , But the main thing is it's different
    nice use of compression with tele there William

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    Maybe if you had a 70-200 you'll understand better?
    I'm with Keefy on this one. A 70-200 on a FF is a very handy lens and gives a completely different perspective to UWA shots.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my old 300 f4. It's a brilliant lens both for landscapes and for streetscapes.

While I probably use wide-angles more in both applications, it's well worth trying an unusual focal length to see the different perspective it gives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have a nice UWA (Tokina 11-17mm F2.8), I also use my 100-400 for landscapes, and have used my UWA for close-ups of flowers to give a different perspective over using a macro lens.
    Hell, I've even used my 100-400 to take shots of spiders!

Sometimes, using a lens that many may think inappropriate can give you some wonderful results.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    As others have suggested, there's really very little 'wrong' lens choices.
    Maybe a 14-24mm for birding might be one or a 800mm mirror lens for indoors events.
    But without going to extremes, most lenses work and provides a unique perspective.
    But that's not to say there arn't better or more conventional choices for certain subjects. But who wants to be conventional :P
    I dunno, do you want to ask this guy why I was using a 14-24?

I'm not a street photography type of person (personally I think its what gets us into trouble with the photo police, and certainly has some stalker like tendencies ), but I believe any lens can be used for any shot you want to take - the limit is your imagination. There are alot of properties to various lenses that are attractive if you are wanting to accomplish something in particular - I am a wide angle nut but sometimes I yearn for that compression from a 70-200 (soon my pretties...soon) to do something a little different. Its up to the photographer, and nothing should be considered right or wrong until you have seen what they are actually shooting and how they are doing it. If everyone followed the same pattern it would be boring as hell.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as many others have said, everyone has their unique way of doing things, after all everyone sees photography in different ways, some like landscapes, portraits and so on. There is no rule about what type of lens you should use for that type of place/landscape etc.. and it's not until you (not as in you directly, as in everyone) start experimenting and see what other types of shots you can get, some shots may not appeal as much to your own personal liking and some will.
    I must say, even myself sometimes i wonder.. i'm probably not using the right lens at all.. but i still take the shots and see what comes up and as ezookiel said, not all of us can afford these expensive items and after all not all of us are professionals or extreme hobbyists
    Life is short, Keep snapping!
    CC always welcome
    Nikon D5100 | Nikon D7100 | Bits and pieces. | Some glass here and there.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjjohnno View Post
    ...Why is it when I go out taking a few pics I see some of the most inappropriate choices of lenses for the environments on offer?
    One place that comes to mind is the Queen Victoria Market, workable focal lengths are 100mm and less, so why are so many 70-200mm zooms spotted, same with Melbourne's CBD.
    The focal lengths that lens has to offer is not what I'd consider particulary useable unless one has a fetish to take acne or nasal hair pics. Add the mandatory herd of pedestrians getting in the way once the desired pic has been dialled in and things become a total waste of time.
    Lets face it, in tight enviroms wider is sweeter for framing and getting that pic, even when out getting those seriously embarrassing candid pics...
    xjjohnno. I hate to be blunt, mate, but I'm missing your point. What you have said consists of two opening "begged questions" (and a bonus if you count the title itself) and then two assertions. You've put this thread into F/stop, but perhaps Out Of Focus would have been nearer the mark. In fact, I don't know where it should really go, as we do not have a dedicated "Rant" forum.

No doubt something is untoward in your perception of photography-land, but what is it? OK, I'll volunteer for a "BEX and a good lie down", and I hope it'll all be clearer tomorrow.
    H(A)mm!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xebadir: Birding at 16mm...what an excellent photo to illustrate your point!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if you see ppl using weird expensive lenses somewhere they're obviously getting some pics out of it.

Then I'd rather wonder what creative angle they're getting that I've never considered than dismiss them as having the 'wrong' lens.

otoh I'm still not sure how to correctly bounce flash off the sky after seeing it many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast