Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid lens choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    .... otoh I'm still not sure how to correctly bounce flash off the sky after seeing it many times.
    LOL. I've made that mistake several times when bouncing off the ceiling, and then without thinking turning the camera to portrait orientation for a few quick shots, and fire the flash into a big empty room, or down a hallway, or on one occasion, off the shirt of the person beside me, which strangely enough actually resulted in the photo having quite a cool looking coloured light coming from the side, which kind of gave the pic a funky look. It wasn't really keepable, but still looked pretty cool.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    LOL. I've made that mistake several times when bouncing off the ceiling, and then without thinking turning the camera to portrait orientation for a few quick shots, and fire the flash into a big empty room, or down a hallway, or on one occasion, off the shirt of the person beside me, which strangely enough actually resulted in the photo having quite a cool looking coloured light coming from the side, which kind of gave the pic a funky look. It wasn't really keepable, but still looked pretty cool.
    Guilty as well! Sometimes the moment just gets the best of us eh? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the OP has'nt come back to comment on our many replys
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't come back at all, the OP was his most recent post.

You bullies have chased him away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did'nt chase him away Jim, We just stated our points on why Lens choice is a personal thing , There is no set rule that I know of, If there is , Rules are meant to broken in the world of Photography for Art's sake IMO , If you stop experimenting you get stale and lose interest , As we've pointed out , You can use many a lens for all different kinds of shots , Maybe not there intended use , But what the heck , I just would have liked to get a response back from the original poster on the subject
    Last edited by William; 19-01-2012 at 7:30pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    ...., I just would have liked to get a response back from the original poster on the subject
    Sometimes life can just get in the way. Who knows!
    Anyway, as Ezookiel said, some need to use what they've got.
    Another bird photo, taken at 28 mm.

IMG_0437.jpg
    Last edited by Mark L; 19-01-2012 at 10:34pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not wide enough. Chopped off the tail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose lenses for the perspective they offer, not because they are the "correct" lens. What a stupid concept. There are no hard and fast rules. A short focal length in a market is a convenient lens, I say. It makes the job too easy... and there's no chance of spying something interesting further off and zooming in on it - we all know how hard candid street photography (particularly of people) is these days.

Frankly, if I want to take my 70-200 into a market, I will. If I want to do portraiture with my 11-16mm wide angle, I will. If I want to take pictures of clouds with my 85mm, I will. And poop on anyone who tells me I am wrong.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70-200 also has great DOF isolation rather than the UWA lens you/they may tend to use, Subjest isolation I guess.. Also some people just think it looks cool, Why do all the rich kids drive top of the line cars, because they can afford for mummy and daddy to buy them what they want.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    70-200 also has great DOF isolation rather than the UWA lens you/they may tend to use, Subjest isolation I guess.. Also some people just think it looks cool, Why do all the rich kids drive top of the line cars, because they can afford for mummy and daddy to buy them what they want.
    And most people who have a flash car have no idea of how to drive it properly.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    And most people who have a flash car have no idea of how to drive it properly.
    Ain't that the truth Benny...

A bit like the camera gear mummy and daddy brought for them with their tripple platimum CC. LOL

Lifes tuff for some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My studio lens of choice is my Carl Zeiss Planer 85mm f1.4.
    although manual focus when working with models it is excellent, if i am chassing kiddies i use the 24-85mmm AF-D and the 40mm f1.4 d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreee

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I choose lenses for the perspective they offer, not because they are the "correct" lens. What a stupid concept. There are no hard and fast rules. ......
    Completely agree.
    As everyone else has said .... each person has a different perspective of what they want to capture and how to go about it, hence what lenses are appropriate or not.

Some people use a macro lens for landscape photography and others use a super ultra wide angle lens for macro photography!

I think that using a wider angle lens for tight situations is a form of laziness! Using a longer focal length forces the photographer to think harder about what it is they want to capture.

We all do it to varying degrees .... 'oh! too tight .. must get the wide angle lens out!'
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I take street photos I choose the lens I will use and then try to "think" that lens. Each lens has different characteristics and will take different shots. Sometimes I might choose and ultra-wide (often my 14mm) and then I will need to think wide. On other occasions I will choose the 50mm and then I will have to think 50mm, or the 135mm and then it is closeup. Each can produce superb results, but each will be different. I don't use zooms as I find them too complicated (I find it hard to think multiple focal lengths at the same time), and never the same quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this thread is DSLRs, as more here seem to have those than P&S - you do get the same thing at the P&S level.

That is - for street photography, folk can be using shorter zoom P&S - Canon S100 or G-Series - or a "DSLR-shape" bridge-zoom with 24mm-720mm range. Which might be as compromised at the Wide end as it is at the Long end - but if your 24-30mm range has a bit of distortion - that's what the RAW correction option is for...

It's a shame the midrange P&S compacts have gone with the no-viewfinder trend - the S100 style of device makes a nice street camera - but the lack of viewfinder makes such a no-go for folk who are older and/or not quite as steady as the younger folk. That profits come before putting an EVF in a Nikon S9100 for $385.00, or a Canon S100 for $469.00, is indeed a shame.

A G-Series at $569.00, or P7100 for $529.00, isn't in everyone's budget... So to get an EVF - and more than 5x-7x reach - they'll tend towards the bridge-zooms. And some strange looks in streets and malls.

Having an EVF doesn't mean that it "has to be" used - or even a 'proper' viewfinder with DSLRs. I've twice seen folk - about-30s males - using a DSLR via the LiveView, holding the camera out in front like a midrange P&S....

Regards, Dave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12