Thread: Dog Photography- 2 Light setup, Black Background tips & Examples

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog Photography- 2 Light setup, Black Background tips & Examples

Hi everyone. Happy New Year and may you all have a good one!

The other day I installed some new V-Tec synthetic background rolls as the paper ones had seen better days.
    Decided to go with the BLK for this session, using a 2 light soft box setup.

Lights were positioned low, the key just a little camera left, and a rim/side nearly at perpendicular position mid torso. Both at approximately 30 degree angle to even out shadow casts.

Use these settings to try yourself:
    Manual EV 125th @ f/11 for key, and f/9.5 for rim to get some good separation from the black BG.
    ISO 100.

Take your meter reading (handheld) for the Key light down at eye level, pointed at the lens. (f/11 @ 125). For the rim light, point the meter directly at the light from the same position as before.

5DMKII, RAW processed in LR3. Not much more than adjusted the shadows in Tone Curve to get the deep black BG, and a slight -Vibrance (-17).
    CHECK histogram highlights during capture as to not blow out any white furry bits! (Particularly around nose!)

Featuring super easy FurModels Edward (Brown/Red BC) and Amie, our fur kids. Just to note, Edward has NEVER liked photo sessions, but this time he was laying there waiting as I was still setting up. Couldn't believe it!

Anyway, give it a try. If you don't have lights, get to a diffused large window, pref a sliding door with indirect sunlight. Cloudy day also good.
    Use a reflector to fill in the shadows a little.
    The trick is to have a TV of no less than 1/125 for a doggy laying around. In a pinch, 1/60 ok if they're totally chilled. Focal length anywhere from 70-150mm works great. Focus on the near eye.
    Get down on the GROUND...... eye level with the dog! (Kills your neck btw) TIP: if you happen to have a mechanics trolley to lay on, it's awesome for repositioning yourself with a simple glide and push!)

Note his legs reflected in the eye here......

B&W conversion here for something different. 1:1 crop

Amie the black bear..... No EV comp used for the black coat. Note how much more light is absorbed.
    In the past, I'd normally grab for around +1/2 stop EV comp by boosting the lights to read f/13

Last edited by Cam Scott; 13-01-2012 at 9:35am.
    Cam Scott | B E S T F R I E N D P O R T R A I T S . C O M
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 5DmkII, 7D | 16-35 f2.8L | 50 1.8 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8 | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L |
    Facebook: bestfriendportraits