Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 500px users?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 500px users?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any members from AP on 500px and maybe share your link.

I just started using it after getting a b it more serious with photography.

http://www.500px.com/k_li
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep have setup an account and love this site for its pure interface and amazing images that are displayed by very talented photographers.

My link

http://500px.com/MellosPhotography
    D810 Fujifilm XT1 XE1 infrared 590nm converted
    Glass : wide selection

Web: http://mellosphotography.com.au/
    Face Book : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mello...82637858468895
    500px : http://500px.com/MellosPhotography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one, I've posted a link here to some amazing macro work too, in the relevant forum.

http://500px.com/PhotographybyOdille
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did. Within 10 days, I found them being used elsewhere without permission.

I do like the site though. Layout, speed and content is enjoyable.
    Matt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I did. Within 10 days, I found them being used elsewhere without permission.

I do like the site though. Layout, speed and content is enjoyable.
    That is not good, how did you find your images?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a member for a while now. It seems everyone is posting their Sunday best. there are some great phoots.

http://500px.com/woody08

Cheers,

John w
    John W Sydney Australia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    That is not good, how did you find your images?
    Google Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a member there (I've been based at Flickr for six years), but I'm curious to know what features it offers.

The site looks nice and clean, and is somewhat reminiscent of RedBubble.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Google Images
    Ouch. Letting Google images catalogue all the photos on the site is not really a good thing, cause it's one of the easiest ways for people to get a free photo to use.

AP doesn't let Google or any other search engine go through the Members Photos forums Photos, so they cannot catalogue them from AP
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    I have one, I've posted a link here to some amazing macro work too, in the relevant forum.

http://500px.com/PhotographybyOdille
    Just commented on your photo, I remember this!
    http://500px.com/photo/1608799

Some amazing work on 500px, I feel I'm not up to scratch to go on that site =/

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Ouch. Letting Google images catalogue all the photos on the site is not really a good thing, cause it's one of the easiest ways for people to get a free photo to use.

AP doesn't let Google or any other search engine go through the Members Photos forums Photos, so they cannot catalogue them from AP
    Sorry, just to clarify: I found the offending usage on other sites, via Google Images ( search by image functionality ), not my own images on 500px.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined recently just to see what the fuss was about. It's a nice enough layout and it certainly has fewer crappy cat photos than flickr...but there's no bbcode embed function so I really don't know how to embed photos from that site to this one.

for those interested, or if you're slacking off at the office and aren't too fussy about how you waste company time...click here ---> http://500px.com/sunny6teen
    Last edited by sunny6teen; 17-01-2012 at 11:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been there a while, i quite like it, but do feel that for the most only very highly processed images will get to the front page http://500px.com/DonGoldney
    The good part is i like the lay out and how it presents my work.
    cheers don

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got round to trying this out, just tried the interface , uploaded a picture - bang! .....flabbergasted
    Love the way it actually displays the work
    It's a tad odd about the dislike button though - I honestly don't think I'll ever use it....I kind of think that I go online to photo-sharing sites such as this to appreciate , not to depreciate?
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    It's a tad odd about the dislike button
    That sounds decidedly unappealing.

Is it possible to disable its use?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined 500px a few months ago.

A few minutes worth of reading the site's support forums will quickly reveal that the 'dislike' feature is extremely unpopular, and many people (myself included) feel that people use this to manipulate the site. Specifically, I have heard of claims that some people whose images are increasing in popularity will go out of their way to cast a dislike vote upon competing images, so that their own images can increase in popularity to the detriment of other people's images.

Unfortunately 500px's staff provide the usual canned response that more or less denies that front page manipulation and vitriolic disliking exists, and that people who suspect abuse should privately email the site's support email address.

If you ask me, I believe the practice of pulse manipulation is rampant.

One day I uploaded an image which has proved to be the most popular and actively voted/faved/commented image in my gallery, and it very quickly rose through the ranks. What I noticed in addition to all the positive responses was that it received three dislike votes, which pushed it further down the ranks.

What I also noticed on the same day was that another image came almost out of nowhere, very rapidly gaining a higher ranking than mine, and later slipping back by a significant amount. I strongly suspect that some people did not like the surge of popularity that image achieved, and went about casting dislike votes to cut the 'tall poppy' down. I was as surprised to see its dramatic fall as its monumental rise.

Personally I believe that kind of behaviour is disgusting, and an extremely low, vile act. One should achieve merit through one's own achievements, not due to manipulation or sabotaging of other people's achievements.

While there are many images on 500px that I don't personally like (art is subjective, after all), I would never seek to actively cast a dislike vote against them. I'd rather spend my time clicking on something I do like, rather than engaging in what I consider to be a childish, detrimental act.

By all means, one need not be concerned about popularity. I don't consider myself to be a popular photographer, and being featured on the front page of image hosting sites, while it's very nice and strokes the ego considerably, is not something that drives me or serves as a reason for existing on such a site.

If you can avoid all of the pulse manipulation, 500px is a fantastic site on which to maintain a gallery, and see the work of some truly fantastic photographers. Many of my esteemed Flickr contacts also have galleries on 500px.com, so I follow their work on both sites.

In summary, if one is not fazed by the popularity ranking system and consequent vitriolic manipulation which I'm sure (but cannot prove) exists, 500px has a voluminous collection of outstanding images, which for a fine-art photographer subject to peaks and troughs, can provide enough inspiration to get out and shoot when life's happenings and one's general mood would otherwise stifle that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined a few months ago, but I'm not sure I get the point of it.

It looks very pretty and there are a lot of great photos there, but if I put my images 'in store', who am I actually selling to? other photographers on 500px?
    Who, apart from other photographers, actually knows about 500px?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a look at 5oopx but to me it has no appeal,any photos that I take are for my enjoyment or the subject`s, for someone on social networking sites to" like" a photo because it is a friend, is not what is desired,for me.

The people on social networking sites are not the sort of judge`s that would make me think that a photo is good or bad,if you only get a few dislikes does that mean it is a good photo or you have a lot of friends.

I will contradict my selfe, by saying that I have posted on PPG in the past because it is voted on by photographers before it is accepted.

Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen it, strolled through a few sites by people, not a fan of it. Just another one of those 'stroke my ego and photographic skills' site etc.

I use wordpress to create a travel website/blog to share travel photos and info with friends and those that follow me. Not really interested in achieving a high number of likes and friends online like 500px and other sites.

www.wanderingasianguy.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darvidanoar View Post
    I joined a few months ago, but I'm not sure I get the point of it.
    It's a photo-image hosting site, as is Flickr, RedBubble and others.

The idea is to upload high-quality images rather than use it as a dumping ground.

It has a popularity metric system, which, while it's a source of controversy, can easily be ignored if you're not into that sort of thing.

From the Wikipedia article on 500px:

500px, pronounced five hundred pixels, is an online photography community that was co-founded by Oleg Gutsol and Evgeny Tchebotarev (artistically also known as "Ian Sobolev"). The Toronto based startup launched its Web 2.0 version in 2009 and is aimed at aspiring and professional photographers; encouraging members to upload their best work.
    It looks very pretty and there are a lot of great photos there, but if I put my images 'in store', who am I actually selling to? other photographers on 500px?
    I'm not sure. I'm not the least bit interested in selling, so I haven't enabled it.

Who, apart from other photographers, actually knows about 500px?
    The same question could be applied to Flickr, RedBubble and others. They're all image hosting sites which more or less do the same thing, but some have features others don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast