User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012..what a year it's gonna be.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Woah this is huge. SD1 gets reinvented and drops to $2300.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02...ill_price_drop
    Had to happen I guess, the factory is saying that the price reduction slash annihilation is due to lowered production costs but methinks it may have more to do with new models on the market ( think D800 ) and the fact that Sigma have probably sold the SD 1 in figures that you can count on 10 fingers and 10 toes.

If only they had made it to accept a variety of lenses, Minolta, Pentax, Canon and Nikon. Then it would have been a lot more appealing to people.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is rather unexpected. Nokia 808 Pureview with an oversized multiaspect sensor ala Panasonic GH2, sporting 41MP.

Yes, 41MP is ridiculous but what's interesting is it seems Nokia understands that the 41MP is just the frequency the sensor samples at and will output far more manageable (and useful) final image sizes.
    Furthermore the sensor is larger than pretty much all 'p&s,' coming in slightly smaller than Nikon CX.

There are also some advantages to the massive pixel count, eg. a built-in tele converter in video.

Is this another nail in the p&s coffin? Who knows but if all smartphones in a year's time have equivalent performance, p&s cameras would really have to reinvent itself to set itself apart. Right now, optical zoom and ergonomics are still to p&s camera's advantage.
    But the Nokia, being a smartphone, don't get me started on connectivity. It'll run rings around any camera today.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    ..... p&s cameras would really have to reinvent itself to set itself apart. Right now, optical zoom and ergonomics are still to p&s camera's advantage.
    There is a limit as to how much tech you can legitimately pack into a device tho.

While it all sounds theoretically advanced and marvellous, I think a typical high(ish) end compact will still out gun this type of device.

IQ is more than just about pixels and a single focal length lens where 'pixel zooming' now considered to be a form of focal length increase.

Nothing beats physically increasing focal length for when you want to actually increase focal length!
    Good optics are vital, and many high end P&S cameras have very good lens designs.

Compactness comes at a price, and while this phone will produce startling results when compared to other small sensored phones, I think it'll lag behind in many situations when compared to actual cameras.

Still a great achievement, no doubt about that!! And the idea of ludicrous pixel counts and then pixel binning for better quality images(mainly accurate colour rendition at high ISO) is a good one .. but at the moment it's all talk and no samples.
    Actual samples are what's needed to prove their point.
    Their idea of pixel zooming may end up backfiring tho! History has taught us so far that when you want to increase magnification, increased focal length(obviously with high quality optics!!) is the way to achieve higher quality images.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AK, absolutely agree with what you've said, particularly that there's no substitute for optical changes to FL vs digital cropping.

But I can't help but think we're approaching this from an enthusiast POV.
    And a smartphone with a competent camera is coming from bottom end of the market up.
    Let's face it, a great portion of photos taken with p&s are destined for the web, small prints and maybe displayed on a tv or iPad etc. And a smartphone trumps any camera (all the way to top end DSLRs) when it comes to connectivity.
    In that respect for a large number of ppl, the camera will become good enough, if not already and far more convenient.

From the enthusiast level down, there are issues with focal length (as we've mentioned) and ergonomics.
    And I do believe there are room for the all-in-one compact camera. Not everyone wants an interchangeable lens system.
    As the G1x has shown, the top end p&s needs to be shaken up. There 's talk Sony will also have a G1x like camera this year.
    But I feel these enthusiast p&s will need to be essentially be as competent as low end DSLRs to remain relevant. The IQ's almost there depending on your standards, but I feel the general speed of operation are lacking, but it'll get there.
    The rugged/waterproof and superzoom niche will probably remain.

But anything in-between will probably get squeezed out of relevance IMO.
    Last edited by swifty; 29-02-2012 at 11:28am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is already keenly followed in other threads but another camera to check off the list of 2012 releases.
    Canon 5D3. Not too many surprises but the 500EX-RT radio speedlight announced together with the 5D3 looks interesting.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one has yet mentioned the 'new' iPad (as its officially called) so I may as well.
    Of course strictly speaking not a photographic tool, the tablet has become an increasingly used accessory whether it be for immediate feedback, portfolio presentation etc.
    And with the retina display arriving in tablet guise this can only improve the tablet as a photographic aid.
    Now why doesn't my camera communicate natively to a tablet (or my phone)?? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple is just repsonding the terrific, and more connectable tablets from Samsung.

When is Apple going to put a USB plug and memory card slot into the i-Pad?

I bet if Canon or Nikon made tablets, your camera WOULD coomunicate to it.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the camera companies do try to make tablets instead of concentrating on cameras then 'oh dear!!'
    The point is wireless connectivity with devices we already own without jumping through hoops.
    And not forcing the user into their own image hosting galleries but I'm afraid that'd be too much to ask from the camera companies *sigh*

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more announcements today.
    Nikon's new entry level DSLR now sports arguably the equal-best APS-C sensor.
    Samsung updates their entire NX CSC line. All with wifi for their 'Smart Camera Ecosystem.'

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm late with my updates for enthusiast photographic product releases and it's only been 1 1/2 months since the last post!!
    Sony updates their entry level NEX and Alphas lines.
    Olympus announces a long portrait prime lens (75mm f1.8).
    Panasonic announces their fixed aperture normal zoom (12-35 f2.8).
    Leica goes M mono and updates their uber expensive X1 to an X2.
    Sony surprises with diminutive p&s (RX100) sporting a 1" sensor (Nikon CX sized).
    Canon leaks new Rebel and 40mm pancake.

And we're not even half way through 2012!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops.. Forgot about the Pentax K30. Hmm.. What else have I missed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12