User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012: Anything you would like to see on Ausphotography?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2012: Anything you would like to see on Ausphotography?

With the start of 2012, I thought it might be worthwhile asking the members what you think of the site? Is there anything you would like to see on AP, that is not covered now? Anything we can improve, do better, get rid of?

Whilst we cannot take up every suggestion, it has often been that improvements to the site have been driven by member suggestions, so please, tell us what you think. Any ideas, small or large are welcome.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, great site, only a minor thing but I miss an easy print function for the cc and techniques so I can have a "hard copy" beside me as I apply the techniques to my photos, or maybe I am missing something......

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philiph View Post
    Hi Rick, great site, only a minor thing but I miss an easy print function for the cc and techniques so I can have a "hard copy" beside me as I apply the techniques to my photos, or maybe I am missing something......
    Click "thread tools" just above the top of a thread, and select "show printable version"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live chat/Chat box?

Im a moderator on another site using VB and we have a live chat where members can interact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sticky thread with all the acronyms listed and what they stand for. (Unless there already is one that I have missed)

Another forum I am a member of has one, and it certainly makes a difference when you are new to a particularly hobby (or at least new to the online world of that hobby) and have no idea what 80% of the acronyms stand for.

It would be a massive help.

MJ.
    Last edited by MJay; 10-01-2012 at 1:44pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniFighter View Post
    Live chat/Chat box?

Im a moderator on another site using VB and we have a live chat where members can interact.
    That is something that will not happen. I have been on enough forums to see chats go balistic and personal attacks etc, so it has been discussed several times before and decided against because of that. Sorry.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    A sticky thread with all the acronyms listed and what they stand for. (Unless there already is one that I have missed)

Another forum I am a member of has one, and it certainly makes a difference when you are new to a particularly hobby (or at least new to the online world of that hobby) and have no idea what 80% of the acronyms stand for.

It would be a massive help.

MJ.
    Already there... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...and_Gear_Index Enjoy!

Also once you get to 50 posts you can contribute to the Library
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    That is something that will not happen. I have been on enough forums to see chats go balistic and personal attacks etc, so it has been discussed several times before and decided against because of that. Sorry.
    All good, you were chasing suggestions

and for what its worth, its a motorcycle forum with LOTS of kids and we have very little trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys.

Whats new & new posts are the same basically.

Maybe what's new could be the posts broken down to categories? So you see the forum menu when you click whats new but with a list or mention of new posts within a certain time added to those forums. Then u can pick what ones you want to see. Alternatively what's new could just list the last 50 updated categories that have a new post. Eg. Mono 2 posts, macro 5 posts etc in 24 hour segments. It musts calculates all day and resets midnight?

I often miss what I want to look at because it's 5 pages back on new posts and because i don't go into every forum I like just to browse to see if something's new. Co that's a lot of browsing.

Keep new posts as is, cos then I get to see older ones I've missed from ages ago when someone else makes comment.

Also maybe a separate " personal challenges " title to post anyone's personal challenges they are doing and that forum is just for that.

Thanks for listening.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All good, you were chasing suggestions

and for what its worth, its a motorcycle forum with LOTS of kids and we have very little trouble.
    Thanks for the suggestion, it is certainly something we have discussed several times. One of the reasons I am against it. On another photography forum that I visit, they also run anonymous comps. They have had huge issues with people discussing comp entries in the chat room. So much so, that members who haven't been in the chat room have had their entries disqualified cause others have divulged the name of the member who took the photo, identifying it. They have removed their chat several times, and returned it, and the issues continue. I have also seen huge personal attacks in the chat, basically cause someone did not like the critique provided by another member.

If we could see away around these issues, I would happily consider a chat room, but I don't like banning members, and all it takes is one smart-arse to ruin it for others.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post
    Hi guys.

Whats new & new posts are the same basically.

Maybe what's new could be the posts broken down to categories? So you see the forum menu when you click whats new but with a list or mention of new posts within a certain time added to those forums. Then u can pick what ones you want to see. Alternatively what's new could just list the last 50 updated categories that have a new post. Eg. Mono 2 posts, macro 5 posts etc in 24 hour segments. It musts calculates all day and resets midnight?

I often miss what I want to look at because it's 5 pages back on new posts and because i don't go into every forum I like just to browse to see if something's new. Co that's a lot of browsing.

Keep new posts as is, cos then I get to see older ones I've missed from ages ago when someone else makes comment.

Also maybe a separate " personal challenges " title to post anyone's personal challenges they are doing and that forum is just for that.

Thanks for listening.
    The 'new posts' that appears on the home page is cause the home page is different software to the forums. I do get where you are coming from, and along those lines, at the bottom of the home page is a list of the five most recently posted thread activities. Most members do not scroll down the home page far enough to see it.

Under your settings menu there is an option to exclude some forums from those that appear when you click 'what's new'. Its under 'my account > general settings'. We have specifically not allowed exclusion of the critique forums by category, because we did not want members to isolate themselves in one particular genre etc.

However, if there is demand, we can add to that list, so you can exclude forums from the 'whats new' lists. Certainly I would want to see more members saying they want this as an option before I would consider it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if there is demand, we can add to that list, so you can exclude forums from the 'whats new' lists. Certainly I would want to see more members saying they want this as an option before I would consider it.
    I for one would not like this. My threads struggle for CC at the best of times

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I for one would not like this. My threads struggle for CC at the best of times
    Agree, and if were were to increase the exclusion forums list that members can select, it would most likely be forums outside the critique ones. Like New To Photography, Business of Photography, Post Processing help etc. However, I personally don't want to see an exclusion list that means members cannot contribute to helping others. After all, that is what AP is here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Already there... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...and_Gear_Index Enjoy!

Also once you get to 50 posts you can contribute to the Library
    A section in there for general jargon would be good. Something that details terms like PP- post processing and MM- model mayhem, just to name a couple off the top of my head. Terms that don't fit under any of the categories there but are still commonly used around the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see more tutorials -etc. maybe a topic of the week. Similar to a magazine article or such. Including before and after photos, or even techniques etc. Can be short/long etc (I know we can go off site for these, but I do enjoy coming here)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    A section in there for general jargon would be good. Something that details terms like PP- post processing and MM- model mayhem, just to name a couple off the top of my head. Terms that don't fit under any of the categories there but are still commonly used around the forum.
    The dictionary? http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...phy:Dictionary

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jockster View Post
    I would like to see more tutorials -etc. maybe a topic of the week. Similar to a magazine article or such. Including before and after photos, or even techniques etc. Can be short/long etc (I know we can go off site for these, but I do enjoy coming here)
    This is something that is a great idea, but outside the control of the mods and myself. Tutorials etc are written by members for members. So its about the way everyone interacts on the site. So if there are particular tutorials or processing techniques you want to know about. Ask! Post a thread in the Post Processing forum asking 'how do I... in Photoshop/Lightroom/Gimp" etc, and you should get the guidance you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is already a lot of tutorials in the library. I wonder if you could each week have one in the message bar at the top of the forum?
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Antipod
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would most likely be forums outside the critique ones. Like New To Photography, Business of Photography, Post Processing help etc.
    Whilst I do get your point, I think the effect does not stop people from skipping critique subforums they're not interested in. These days I simple select a couple of subforums I'm interested in, read those and than mark all forums as "read". I would certainly welcome an exclusion-list that allowed picking from all subforums...
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Whilst I do get your point, I think the effect does not stop people from skipping critique subforums they're not interested in. These days I simple select a couple of subforums I'm interested in, read those and than mark all forums as "read". I would certainly welcome an exclusion-list that allowed picking from all subforums...
    Of course not, but if these other forum threads did not appear in 'what's new' at all, then even if there was something that piqued a members interest, they would likely never see it, if they had that forum blocked. At least if it still appears in 'what's new', then if a title got them intrigued, they might look and comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast