Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portrait lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    And I have more than a few. Each to his own.

JJ
    So do i . I absolutely love the 50mm focal range.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the continued discussion, it has actually really helped me sort out exactly what I am looking for as it goes beyond just a 'people' issue.

I’m contemplating a few different lenses for my inside photographs as this is somewhere the kit lens really falls flat. As I've mentioned, I find the 50mm too long at times, it is fine for general shots but group shots ie at a birthday party with a few people and cake, it is too tight and I can’t frame the shot I want.

I’m happy to get an external flash such as a 430 but not knowing too much about flash photography yet, I’m not sure if this will be enough to get the quality of shot I want inside with my kit lens or if I need another lens to complement the flash?

There are a few options I am considering:

17-40 Canon – It is f/4 but with flash that doesn’t really matter? No IS but does have USM. I also love landscape photography and I thought this might be a good upgrade from my 18-55 which I currently use. It is also quite wide for the family shots I was after.

15-85 Canon – Good range but variable aperture of f/3.5/5.6 which annoys me on the 18-55. Has IS & USM. As with the 17-40, has good reviews for crop sensor. Will also encompass more range. It is not compatible with full frame which I'm hoping to purchase in the next 12-18 months. However my husband is keen to take over my 450D, so will not go to waste if it is the best option.

28-75 Tamron – Has f/2.8 and reasonable reviews. Would still need fairly good light to make this work indoors I would think on it's own anyway? I've looked at photos on Flickr taken with this lens and am very impressed. Have not been keen in the past to move away from Canon but the IQ looks good. My biggest concern would be the 28 inside, not sure if that is still too tight? Biggest plus is the price.

Thanks, Rebecca.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbat View Post
    Will also encompass more range. It is not compatible with full frame which I'm hoping to purchase in the next 12-18 months. However my husband is keen to take over my 450D, so will not go to waste if it is the best option.
    Bingo, you just said the magic words that may be a game changer. How serious are you about going FF? How soon do you want to go FF. Are you going to be tempted to bring it forward from the 12-18 months you say? I said I'd never go FF and surrounded myself with EF-S lenses I had to sell by making the wrong choice. If you are deadly serious about going FF you may be better served looking now at the EF line-up and forgetting about EF-S lenses. Yes, your hubby may get use out of them but will he take to the hobby like you, or be a casual shooter that is satisfied with the kit lenses. Remember he can also still use your EF lenses on the 450D. If you are going FF I would seriously consider trying to stretch your budget slightly and going with a 70-200 F4 IS. This is a top lens and very useful on a FF. I even use mine indoors on my 5DII, I just get over one side of the room from the subject. Outside it is a terrific lens, even for landscape on a FF. I mainly use only 2 of my line-up, the 24-105 and the 70-200.
    Last edited by LJG; 10-01-2012 at 12:36pm.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 would be a great zoom for a Canon 450D. I love mine.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 would be a great zoom for a Canon 450D. I love mine.
    +1. Mine too.

It does everything right.

Just within the budget too.

I can't recommend the 17-40 even though it is a very good lens, 'cos the 17-55 is simply better for your camera.

I also can't recommend going to full frame, it is just too expensive and not always better.

However I insist you *must* get a 430 II flash unit. It will transform your portrait photography.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Nikon user, and I find the 50mm 1.4 is perfect for indoor portraiture, but would tend to be wary moving to anything shorter. Unless you're very careful distortion can start to be a problem at the short lens lengths, and tends to be particularly noticable when photographing people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I use my Canon 24-105.
    While it is a F4, the IS makes up for it by at least 2-3 stops if you don't want to use flash, but it is a superb all-around lens and gets a lot of use on my 60D and is suitable for full-frame too.
    You can get one for under a grand delivered from most of the grey sites and it will be a lens you will use forever.

The extra reach from 55-105 is also very useful, and if you get one, you'll never use your kit lens again!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofya View Post
    I'm a Nikon user, and I find the 50mm 1.4 is perfect for indoor portraiture, but would tend to be wary moving to anything shorter. Unless you're very careful distortion can start to be a problem at the short lens lengths, and tends to be particularly noticable when photographing people.
    Agree with the need for care with WA distortion, but my experience with a 50mm prime on a 28mm sensor indoors is that it is great for single person portraits but too narrow for multi person portraits or even for full length one-person portraits in some cases.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a suggestion from the left-field: Canon EFS 60mm macro lens... good bokeh and pin sharp wide open at f/2.8... and you get a free macro lens! Well within the budget. And its not 50mm (60mm is equivalent to 96mm on a crop sensor camera)....
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 100mm f2.8 L IS very sharp good quality on my 5d mark 2
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite portrait lens is also the best lens I've owned or shot with.....Leica 1.4/75mm Summilux. I sold it to some collector in Hong Kong........it's a pity that the lens probably won't be used for making photos any more.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arg, I just wanted to thank you for the flash advice. It has been wonderful not only for portraits but a multitude of other uses too. Best money I've spent in a while Thanks again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Here's a suggestion from the left-field: Canon EFS 60mm macro lens... good bokeh and pin sharp wide open at f/2.8... and you get a free macro lens!
    That was going to be my suggestion also. I agree completely with Tricky's summary. It's a a gem of a lens.

BUT it's EF-S and you really want to be going for FX lenses.

Forget the EF 17-40. There is really no good reason why you'd want to use one of these on a crop body, and it's not all that wide on full frame. (Not much is, but surely that will change one day.).

The EF-S 15-85 is a gem of a lens .... but it's EF-S and that would be wasted money for you. Needs to be faster indoors anyway - which leads us to the EF-S 17-55/2.8 which would be perfect ... if it worked on FX bodies. Sigh.

That brings us back to primes. The Tokina 35mm macro is a sweet little lens which works on APS-C and APS-H but, alas, not on FX. Besides, the cruddy focus motor is a pain for non-macro work. So scratch that one.

The Canon EF 35mm/1.4L would be a beauty, I reckon, but quite dear. (Mine should arrive in a day or two, I can't wait, though it won't do too much portrait work - I don't much care for humans.) There are cheaper Canon 35mm primes toop, which I don't know much about. But even on APS-C I'm not entirely convinced that 35mm is really long enough.

Which brings us back to 50mm. I don't like 50mm all that much on APS-C either - not long enough to be long (60mm is better) and not wiode enough to be normal (35mm is better). It probably works better on FX. In any case, which 50mm lens? The Sigma is notorious for bad quality control and focus issues, the Canon 1.8 is complete junk - cheap, sharp junk, but still junk - the Canon 1.4 doesn't have a proper USM focus motor, and the 1.2 costs a fortune and is a bit weird anyway. You'd buy the Canon 1.4, I suppose, but not with any great enthausiasm.

So there you go - 104 wrong answers. I'm good at spotting wrong answers. Now all you need is someone who is good at spotting right answers.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbat View Post
    Arg, I just wanted to thank you for the flash advice. It has been wonderful not only for portraits but a multitude of other uses too. Best money I've spent in a while Thanks again.
    Oh, I'm delighted to hear you got one, rbat. People agonize over expensive lens purchases and new bodies with slightly improved sensors, but by far the poorest component in a dslr is the inbuilt flash. And the magnitude of the image quality improvement (as opposed to pixel quality improvement) from a decent flash unit is in another league, compared to a new sensor with a few more MP and half a stop better sensitivity.

The things we can do with a 430 II are just mind boggling (to users who are only familiar with the inbuilt flash). And there is quite a long learning curve to master flash lighting. I'm still on the lower reaches of that curve.

Enjoy your new toy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12