Thread: Considering a Canon switch - Lens help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Kym has hit the nail on the head with regards to the D7000's sensor. For low light ability and for DR the only camera that matches it (and possibly has a very, very slight advantage for IQ) in APS C format is the Pentax K-5.

The other things to consider are AF performance, both accuracy and speed between the Canon and the Nikon equivalents. Make sure that the Canon equivalent is at least as good as the D7000 in performance, speed and AF point spread. AF speed has alot to do with the lens as well. I know the D700 (FF sensor) generally outperforms the Canon 5D MKII (FF sensor) for AF and this may be the case for the Canon APS C equivalents to the D7000.

If you switch to Canon, you will lose a substantial amount in changeover and this amount you lose could be put to one or two of the lenses you desire in Nikon. If you stick with APS C, I wouldn't have thought the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 would have been a logical choice for APS C as it is like a 36-105 on FF, but then that may be the range you desire on APS C. A more logical "standard" zoom would be the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 - still same price as the 24-70 f2.8 though - but you can use a Tokina, Tamron or Sigma equivalent with an f2.8 max aperture.

However, if you decide to go FF then the only real difference I can see is the 24-70 f2.8 lens price difference because as far as I can see with regards to the 70-200 f2.8 zooms are concerned, a Canon is about the same price as the Nikon according to Digital Camera Warehouse pricing. However, you can still get Tamron and Sigma equivalents for less.

It will be difficult to know what the price of the future D800 is compred to the Canon 5d MK3 as they haven't been released yet, but the point is, there are many variables as to which constitutes best value. As I stated above, the AF of the D700 is superior to that of the 5D MKII by all accounts as is high ISO noise and DR. However, the 5D MKII has higher resolution and was cheaper.

It is not a simple fact of swapping systems due to price. There is no way in the world I could ever come to grips with the Canon system as for me, the menu system and design layout etc of their cameras are just not logical and I would forever be missing shots and no amount of price difference can make up for that! Nikon ergonomics etc are just better IMO. However, you really need to do your homework and make up your own mind on that score as it is a very important aspect of camera buying.
    Last edited by Lance B; 07-01-2012 at 3:19pm.