Working on the laptop this morning, I put it on the floor with the mouse on the keyboard, and got up to help my wife for a moment.
Yep, you guessed it. My 19 year old daughter decided to play-wrestle with the dog, and rolled onto the laptop, closing the screen down hard on the mouse.
The result a smashed screen.

On the plus side, I kind of need a laptop way too much to go without, but was too broke after Christmas to go buy one, so after a string of bad luck with laptops that were lemons, I decided to FlexiRent a new one so that servicing and repairs are someone else's concern (they even cover at-fault damage like happened today).
So as a result, I have to start from scratch and reinstall everything - MS Office, CS5, iTunes, all my music, all my photos, basically EVERYTHING, all over again. It's going to be a long weekend of painful installations.

BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE ....
FlexiRent at the moment have a special deal. Take out a rental, and you get a free Canon 1100D with 18-55mm lens.
So my daughter got to buy off me at a stupidly reduced rate, the DSLR she's wanted for quite a while. I got some cash. I got a brand new full Gamer's Spec laptop that leaves my old one for dead, and if the lenses are compatible, I might even have gained access to an 18-55mm lens in the process.

I guess sometimes, badly timed disasters can have a silver lining if you look at them the right way. But I am SOOO not enjoying having to set the whole computer all back up from scratch.