User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Damn ... have to start totally from scratch again ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn ... have to start totally from scratch again ....

Working on the laptop this morning, I put it on the floor with the mouse on the keyboard, and got up to help my wife for a moment.
    Yep, you guessed it. My 19 year old daughter decided to play-wrestle with the dog, and rolled onto the laptop, closing the screen down hard on the mouse.
    The result a smashed screen.

On the plus side, I kind of need a laptop way too much to go without, but was too broke after Christmas to go buy one, so after a string of bad luck with laptops that were lemons, I decided to FlexiRent a new one so that servicing and repairs are someone else's concern (they even cover at-fault damage like happened today).
    So as a result, I have to start from scratch and reinstall everything - MS Office, CS5, iTunes, all my music, all my photos, basically EVERYTHING, all over again. It's going to be a long weekend of painful installations.

BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE ....
    FlexiRent at the moment have a special deal. Take out a rental, and you get a free Canon 1100D with 18-55mm lens.
    So my daughter got to buy off me at a stupidly reduced rate, the DSLR she's wanted for quite a while. I got some cash. I got a brand new full Gamer's Spec laptop that leaves my old one for dead, and if the lenses are compatible, I might even have gained access to an 18-55mm lens in the process.

I guess sometimes, badly timed disasters can have a silver lining if you look at them the right way. But I am SOOO not enjoying having to set the whole computer all back up from scratch.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer about the original laptop ....but on the up side the lens will fit your 60D
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    are you sure you didn't put it on the floor on purpose ???
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drat. Looks like the 1100D uses a different memory card. I thought I could lend her my spare till she gets herself one, but it appears to be different.
    Oh well, she has more money than anyone in the family, so she can get herself a card

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Drat. Looks like the 1100D uses a different memory card. I thought I could lend her my spare till she gets herself one, but it appears to be different.
    Oh well, she has more money than anyone in the family, so she can get herself a card
    Now that is good parenting..make em pay!.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I even made her pay for the camera. Felt a bit of a heel, but an 1100D for $250 is still a good enough deal that I shouldn't feel too bad surely?. It's about $400 on special, and around $600 at normal price I believe.

On the downside. I got up this morning after setting up the transfer of 120gig of photos from the old laptop to the new one, and found it had finished only 50 gig of them, and is estimating over 12 hours to finish the rest of them. I guess wifi wasn't perhaps the best choice for a method of transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you are renting the laptop, make sure you keep ALL the packaging etc so that you can return it to them at the end of the rental, otherwise you might be paying for it forever.

I'm sure the 1100D uses an SD card, just like your 60D.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. It does. But the 60D has a different set of second initials to her's. SDHC for mine, and SDXC on hers.
    But spoke to the guy at the camera store when I went to investigate getting her a card, and pretty much got told mine will be fine in her's.
    So till she buys herself one this week, she can borrow mine. Wonder what the HC and XC stand for?
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 11-01-2012 at 1:59pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and the usual routine at the end of the rental is apparently pay something like an extra month's payment, and the laptop is yours, but I definitely will be keeping the packaging etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you guessed it. My 19 year old daughter decided to play-wrestle with the dog, and rolled onto the laptop, closing the screen down hard on the mouse.
    Daughters do that. Sons would just have borrowed it and never brought it back.

Actually Daughters do that as well [/QUOTE]

and you get a free Canon 1100D with 18-55mm lens.

I guess sometimes, badly timed disasters can have a silver lining if you look at them the right way. But I am SOOO not enjoying having to set the whole computer all back up from scratch.
    They've got to move them somehow

Seriously though, did you check your house and contents policy, our laptops & cameras are covered for accidental loss as well
    Last edited by Boo53; 11-01-2012 at 2:37pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a High-Capacity (SDHC) card family, an eXtended-Capacity (SDXC) card
    Pentax K-5iis, DA* 50-135 IF SDM | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 |Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 Macro |Pentax-FA 28-80 3.5-4.7 |Pentax A 50 1.7 |Pentax DA 12-24 | Pentax DAL 55-300|Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 and other stuff