User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

View Poll Results: How do you want to vote on Photo of the Year

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vote for10 entries only, the ones I like the most

14 58.33%
  • Give EVERY entry a ranked score (out of 10)

10 41.67%

Thread: The 2011 Ausphotography Photo of the Year : How will we do the voting?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The 2011 Ausphotography Photo of the Year : How will we do the voting?

The 2011 Ausphotography Photo of the Year voting will be starting soon.

We need to know how you would like to vote. There will be 112 entries to vote on. Do you want to vote each entry out of 10 (so give each of the 112 entry's a score), or do you want to vote for say your 10 top entries only.
    Last edited by Kym; 07-01-2012 at 2:30pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good question.
    Since it's Photo of the Year, it should probably be done how all other Comps are now down. Ranked out of 10, and then a final (one choice poll) of, say the top 10.
    A little time consuming maybe, but heck, it's AP Photo of the Year.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be 112 entries.
    Covers Seagate, POTM January 2011 through December 2011 and POTW #236 through #287.
    Inactive members are ineligible.
    Last edited by Kym; 07-01-2012 at 2:30pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voting starts 21:00 Tuesday 2012-01-10 (Subject to December POTM not having a tied result)
    Qualifying Vote closes 20:00 Friday 2012-01-20
    Final Vote closes 20:00 Thursday 2012-01-26 (Australia Day)

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo is of the view that due to numbers of entries and the fact that all should be very high up out of 10 to begin with, we should just vote for top 10 (in the old way). Then, we score 3 of the top 10 as 1, 2 or 3. The mods collate that data and the one with the most aggregate score is the winner. If there is a draw, the mods can look back to which entry got the most 1s and 2s OR just put the drawing entires up for a single vote for the winner.

Does this sound more complicated than what we already had ????? Hope not - but Mongo just noticed it is not one of the choices Rick has asked us to choose from
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mind either way and quite like Mongo's proposal as well, other than it introduces yet another method of voting.
    At the end of the day the best pic is going to win so really doesn't matter to me how we go about it.
    All for a single round of voting myself, but that's just keeping it all too simple I guess.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, this will be for the first round. We will still run a final poll, where members will choose only ONE entry from the finalists. This poll is about how we do the first round of voting from the 10th-20th January. From the 20-26th the final poll will run, and you will choose just one finalist.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "Top Ten" They will all be excellent images, and worthy of a score of "10" in the new system. (They did in normal voting, or pretty close to it)
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep it the same as current I feel. 1 - 10, put all shots in as they've earnt the right to be judged against each other as the have already been judged POTW/POTM shots. This seems to work well for qualifiing poles in the normal rounds on a weekly basis. Given there are going to be quite a few different areas covered, it should level out the voters that aren't 'into' a certain area of photography, that may/may not score a picture/image it deserves due to the voters taste in photography, Kapish ? I feel this will level it out fairly.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The comp software does not allow 3 stage voting.
    So the choices are what the choices are.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I think "Top Ten" They will all be excellent images, and worthy of a score of "10" in the new system. (They did in normal voting, or pretty close to it)
    But they will now be judged in another context. That said I agree, top 10 for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could I suggest that we have 10 points to allocate across the entries ? All 10 points could be allocated to one photo, or 4 photos might receive 4, 3, 2 and 1 point respectively. Results are given for the total number of votes as well as the number of voters casting votes for each photo.

Examples of results might be: Overall Winner receives highest number of votes.
    Majority (most appreciated ?) Winner might be the one who receives the most votes from the most voters e.g. 56 votes from 30 voters.

This sort of voting gives an indication of how broadly and how intensely the photos are supported.

(If there are a relatively large number of entries, this system is actually easier to work with, say, 100 points to be allocated.)

bethH

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth H View Post
    Could I suggest that we have 10 points to allocate across the entries ? All 10 points could be allocated to one photo, or 4 photos might receive 4, 3, 2 and 1 point respectively. Results are given for the total number of votes as well as the number of voters casting votes for each photo.

Examples of results might be: Overall Winner receives highest number of votes.
    Majority (most appreciated ?) Winner might be the one who receives the most votes from the most voters e.g. 56 votes from 30 voters.

This sort of voting gives an indication of how broadly and how intensely the photos are supported.

(If there are a relatively large number of entries, this system is actually easier to work with, say, 100 points to be allocated.)

bethH
    We cannot do that. The software is setup to either vote (rate) each and every entry, or pick 10 (no choice to choose which you want more, just pick 10 photos).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am willing to go with the flow but my preference would be to rate out of 10 in both rounds.

We are talking about trying to pick quality from a field of quality. The finer the selection options the better IMO.

We do this once a year. To rate them all will take maybe 10 mins. Worth the effort IMO

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much like camera clubs, when we get to the final 10 you will have to pick one.
    This is only about the selection of the final 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon top 10 as well - the margin of scores between all of the images would be really pretty small if you were to rate them according to the guidelines (they all won after all!) and so the discriminator might well be better if it's a 'which photo grabs me' type of subjective selection. hmm, not sure why I'm suggesting that when last week my image did much better on the score method than final pick :P
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS 5dmk3 : 17-40 F4 L, 70-200F2.8 canon L, 24-70mm canon L, Gitzo Safari +1178 ballhead. |Canon 5dmkII, 16-35mmF2.8 II L, Gitzo 2541 )
    Singh Ray/Hitech/Lee assorted filters, Z pro modified system Cokin holder
    Post : Lightroom 3.6 catalogue -> Export as 16bit TIFF, Edited CS5 -> resized for web.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going with the pick top 10 option.