Thread: Fish eye solutions

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fish eye solutions

Hi all,

I borrowed a friend's Bower 8mm fisheye for my 7D and loved it. I'm thinking of getting my own, but needs to be an EF mount because it's likely I will get a 5Dmkii soon.

Was looking at the Sigma (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_EX_DG.html) but it doesn't have IS. Anyone have an opinion on how important IS is on fisheye lenses?

Also, anyone used any of the fish eye cheap solutions, like this? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-HD-0-...#ht_4839wt_897
    The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM is a little out of my price range at the moment.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fedgrub I've used the Nikon 10.5mm and the Sigma 15mm fisheye. I found them to work fine for my purposes. The Sigma fisheye is quite good on an Fx body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi FG....have to agree with Dd about the nikon 10.5. It`s on my wish list and have only heard good reports about it. I definitely would not get one of those cheap nasty fisheye thingies on ebay.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends if you only have a very very limited budget. I had a look at the ebay site you provided and they sell camera accessories. Of course you can't expect the same IQ as dedicated fisheye but will certainly get you started. Perhaps if you work out if you are prepared to "lose" the dollars spent if it doesn't work out. It may well suit your needs at this time. JMHO cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Febgrub, question has to be asked, do you want the fisheye primarily for NOW or for when you go full frame?
    The Nikon 10.5 is well known as a good fisheye, unfortunately for Nikon only.

Now - tokina 10-17 fisheye (works well on the 7D).
    Full frame - Canon 15mm/Sigma 15mm or the Canon 8-15mm (which as you mentioned is outside your price range).

IS is NOT required for shooting fisheye. I can't think of a fisheye that has IS actually (or equivalent)!
    I've drowned 3 cameras, bounced off a reef and lost 2 front teeth, had various fin chops and am really starting to feel OLD!

But.....................................still love shooting the curl.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Depends if you only have a very very limited budget. I had a look at the ebay site you provided and they sell camera accessories. Of course you can't expect the same IQ as dedicated fisheye but will certainly get you started. Perhaps if you work out if you are prepared to "lose" the dollars spent if it doesn't work out. It may well suit your needs at this time. JMHO cheers Brian
    Thanks, Brian. The idea of losing the money if it didn't work is a good way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butts View Post
    Febgrub, question has to be asked, do you want the fisheye primarily for NOW or for when you go full frame?
    The Nikon 10.5 is well known as a good fisheye, unfortunately for Nikon only.

Now - tokina 10-17 fisheye (works well on the 7D).
    Full frame - Canon 15mm/Sigma 15mm or the Canon 8-15mm (which as you mentioned is outside your price range).

IS is NOT required for shooting fisheye. I can't think of a fisheye that has IS actually (or equivalent)!
    Thanks! I want it for when I go full frame because that is likely to happen in the next month or so. I'll take a look at the Sigma you suggested, or maybe hold out until I can afford the 8-15mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fedgrub, you could actually buy the tokina, use it on yur 7D @ 10mm and then later you can shoot @ 14mm on yur 5D MKII.
    Its an option, but not one I would personally choose.

The sigma you mentioned in your original post, I believe is a good compromise (price v performance).

** I have both the Tokina and the Canon 15mm that I use on different bodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butts View Post
    Ditto, haven't heard of any stabilised fish eyes, and don't think they exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samyang-8...item53e9d2346f

Samyang, bower, rokinon. All the same i suspect.

Will work on a fullframe without a hitch. Don't need IS at that kinda length.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 07-01-2012 at 1:19am.