Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Suggestions wanted for pollution sites to photograph

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions wanted for pollution sites to photograph

My club has a comp topic titled "Pollution". Does anyone know of some nice revolting pollution - maybe a grotty river or a revolting drain or anything else interesting around Melbourne (eastern suburbs preferred) ?

I'm looking for something that would make an interesting pollution topic, so anything that fits would be welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you arent in China

anyway, I dont know eastern suburbs well but in the western suburbs around Footscray near the rivers and docklands I have seen a lot of gunge places, like rubbish strewn and clogged drain pipes, and industrial wastes

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for tips?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Are you looking for tips?
    Like "be kind to your mother" ?

Actually, I guess tips mightn't be a bad idea. Our local is a bit too sanitised, but I like where the idea is going ......

Footscray probably is a good place too (sorry Footscray people)

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drains into the Bay are a hot subject at the moment with all the rain?
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dandenong is also a good area to look into.

A lot of the Footscray areas have been 'cleaned' up.

Some parts of Footscray that you could scout around are Sommerville Rd between Paramount Rd and Market St. Very grimey along there, but no really rubbishy areas.
    The issue with this strip is that it's a heavy truck area, and all the transport compounds are unsealed gravel pits. The trucks carry the gravel dust out onto the road and then it gets sprayed with gunge. If there has been a few days of solid consistent rain, it all gets washed away. Normally everything in the area is covered with a flat drab coating of dust.. trees are all dead looking brown/grey fences and walls all blend into each other .. etc, etc. After some solid rain, the place transforms into a green oasis. You only notice it, because of the vast difference from brown trees turning green.
    Another area of 'interest' may be a small section of Geelong rd near the overpass, between Millers Rd and the overpass itself. There are two seldom used service roads either side of Geelong rd. Sometimes these service roads can be lined with waste along them, as some of the businesses along there will leave out some of their waste to be collected by the waste collection companies. Problem is that some residents see this as an opportunity where they can also leave their household waste there too. It doesn't get collected, and can sit there for a while until the council clean it up!

AFAIK, an triangular area bounded by Dandenong Rd, South Gippsland hwy and the Sth Gippsland fwy also has a potential for something you're looking for too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys ... I'll look into those options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, how our perceptions change. Footscray, Yarraville are positively spotless these days, compared to when I grew up in the Western suburbs in the 50's & 60's.

Seriously though, instead of a long trip adding to the air pollution , why not just go to a busy intersection with lots of truck traffic. As some of the trucks take off from the lights you're bound to get heaps of black exhaust shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any government department buildings front?

Bunch of gov workers would gather together smoking at their smoking break... likely yank about their family stories.

If you clever enough, you might able to line them up in certain angle when they blowing smoke in sync

Make a great B/W too

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ... the smokers and the trucks are both good ideas. I think in a competition I have to find a different approach like those ideas in order to make it stand out.
    I could always enter a picture of myself ..... and call it visual pollution!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I could always enter a picture of myself ..... and call it visual pollution!
    Shouldn't you take a pic of those people walking out from the parliament house?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Bob. 2 hour drive to the latrobe valley. Also over any overpass that has heaps trucks going under. Look for black smoke coming out the stacks.
    You could go to a tip and take a shot of a garbage truck unloading? Many things come to mind.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo could suggest anywhere Mongo has been or is heading for.

Sorry Bob, do not know Vic very well and cannot offer any real suggestions (no shortage of these in NSW) but good luck with it and let us know if you find any and how you do in the comp.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    ...Sorry Bob, do not know Vic very well and cannot offer any real suggestions ... and let us know if you find any and how you do ...
    What? Mongo slips out of 3rd person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about hanging around your local Vinnies or Salvos on a Monday morning? They seem to be copping a fair bit of trash over the weekend. Also, industrial bins with grafitti on 'em?
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon a close up of a young persons "hotted up" cars exhaust. You know the type, when they finish the Milo they use the tin as an exhaust tip. Call it "Noise Pollution"! If you can combine their stereos sub woofer in there as well you would definitely be on a winner Usually have more watts from the stereo than the motor
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The front window of a NIkon dealer? (ducks for cover)