I'm wondering how best to test each of my lenses to determine which one is better in various situations.

I have one lens designed for APS-C (a sony SAL18250 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 zoom) plus two kit lens from my old Minolta days (a 35-70mm with macro f4 and a 70-210 4.5-5.6) which I assume would work on FF cameras.

The 18-250 is what I carry around as it is the most versatile of the lot for the type of photos I take. But I'm starting to wonder if the 35-70mm would take as good as or better photos at ~50mm due to its FF and constant f4 design.

I hope to get a 50mm prime soon (still trying to decide on which one) but in the meantime wondering which lens I should be using at the wider end.

At the telephoto range I have given up on the old minolta 70-210 with the assumption that the sony is better due to it begin physically larger, not a kit lens and newer.

Rather than assuming things should I be setting up the camera (sony A65) on a tripod and snap away in manual mode? Most of the photos I take are portraits of my kids and landscape.