User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Macro gear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macro gear?

What do most people use for their macro photos? An actual lens or macro filter?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lens! the macro filters are fun, and can create wonderful results, but nothing beats a decent macro lens. Mine is the Sigma 150mm F2.8 macro
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rick says, a lens is best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lens. Tamron 90mm. Macro lenses can also make good portraiture lenses as well, so they are a good investment if you want to dabble in macro.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always a high quality lens will generally give you better results, but in saying that a very high quality close up lens accessory, which is wrongly referred to as a filter, and actually called a dipotre can still give you good results too.

As I currently understand it, the Canon D500 is the best value for money dioptre/close up attachment you can get.
    There will be other dioptres manufactured by the usual established lens makers, such as B+W or whoever that may get top notch results too, but they generally come at a higher price.

if the bare lens is extremely capable to begin with, then a dioptre will still give very good results with that lens, but if the lens is marginal, then the final result will still be marginal.

Can't remember exact prices, but a 77mm D500 can cost in the order of $200(I think.. not sure) ... a very capable Tamron 90mm can be had for about $400. Sounds like a lot more for the actual lens, and there are pros and cons for each type.
    Most macro specific lenses will go to 1:1(being actual macro), whereas the dipotre may only give something like 1:3 (one third magnification only).
    But with the dipotre, you can pick and choose which lens you want to mount it too .. so if you had something like a 300mm f/4, or 400mm f/5.6 of very high quality, then you can get in closer, and still maintain a good working distance.
    With a dedicated macro lens, you will be limited to the working distance of the lens.

Lens is better : Dioptre is more flexible
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply's!