Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Teleconverter question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teleconverter question

I have Canon 7D camera
    I have a 1.4 and 2 x Kenko Teleconverter and when i put them on the 70-200 f2.8 i loose 1 stop and 2 stops as i knew i would. (i've had them several years)

I put the 24-105 F4 with the converter on the other day (first time) (i'm going on a cruise next month and want to keep the weight down and am thinking of leaving the 70-200 behind)

but i didn't loose anything in f stops - i still get F4 with both converters - the focussing slows but i still get maximum aperture.

But i don't know why ?? any suggestions ?
    Last edited by jeffde; 02-01-2012 at 3:58pm.
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that there isn't communication between the Kenko TC and the camera to indicate the actual f/stop.

The light reduction is a property of increasing the focal length, so even though your camera still reports f/4, you'll find that in reality you're at f/5.6.

As a simple experiment, take a photo with the lens natively at f/5.6, and then take an identical picture with the TC attached and the lens opened to f/4.

You should find that the exposures are more or less identical.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even easier: meter a (uniformly illuminated) subject with and without the teleconverter both times while in Aperture priority mode (and obviously without changing ISO). Does the shutter speed increase/decrease 1 stop, ie, go from, say, 1/250s (without tc) to 1/125s(with tc)?

If it does, then the camera is not reporting the right f-stop.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think the 24-105 was compatible with teleconverters? Be careful you don't damage the lens!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I didn't think the 24-105 was compatible with teleconverters? Be careful you don't damage the lens!
    It's certainly not compatible with Canon tele-converters.

I'm not familiar with the third-party offerings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Kenko Pro 300 2X converter and it fits on my 24-105, but it won't autofocus, but it still works well with my 60D.

I mainly use the converter on my 100-400 to take shots of the moon and other far-away subjects, but it will even fit on my Tokina 11-16.

The Kenko doesn't have any glass sticking out the front of, in fact, the glass is recessed by around 5mm from the front face, so i think almost any lens will fit except for EF-S lenses which have elements sticking out behind the main body of the lens.

I haven't tried any other converters, but I'm very happy with the Kenko, and the price is pretty good too in comparison to others I've seen.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your replies - did the test as suggested and you are right shutter speed decreased - therefore aperture is NOT reporting correctly - so i think its best not to use the teleconverter...

Cheers and thanks
    Jeff

(PS : such a simple solution - slapping myself for not trying that first ...) LOL

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffde View Post
    Thanks guys for your replies - did the test as suggested and you are right shutter speed decreased - therefore aperture is NOT reporting correctly - so i think its best not to use the teleconverter...
    You can still use it if you need the reach; you just need to be mindful to add +1EV to your exposure to compensate for the light reduction.