Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 52/2012, but Unthemed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52/2012, but Unthemed...

Dear AP-ers,

I have just completed a photo a week challenge on a social media site. I never thought I would be able to finish this, my life gets so hectic that sometimes I wonder how I am going to be able to eat lunch, let alone indulge in my hobbies, but I did and here I am one year later wanting to launch into it again... I found it really helped my photography improve and I found it very enjoyable. Of course, doing this on a social media site, while a great ego-boost, isn't really giving me any constructive feedback, it's all "Wow!!! You are sooo talented!!" and "Wow!! That's beautiful", when I know that the quality is more like "Well... you are getting better...", hence I have decided that I wanted to do this on here this year. I presume that the feedback on here would be more realistic and less flattery.

Here's the thing... I have checked out the member's challenge for this, about to put in an introduction and found that it is themed, but I don't want to do a themed challenge, I want it to be based on my week and I often put a little story to go with it, explaining how my week has shaped my inspiration and execution of the photograph. I want to do a fluid challenge, where for me the challenge is simply submitting a decent photograph every week and constantly aim to improve my art. My weeks often throw me curve balls, I never know what is coming next and I find this erratic motion of my life often leads to some very interesting inspiration and ideas (even if I don't always manage to pull off this idea). That's one super-positive thing about my life - I live a substantial way away from work, I work nights, I do my best thinking at night and I plan out my ideas on the way home.

So here is my question - Where do I place this on the forums? I would like to keep it together, which indicates to me that this should be under the 52/2012 Member's Challenge forum, but I am concerned that it will be mistaken for me missing the target of the theme every week, which tells me I shouldn't place it there... What I photograph changes from one week to next, so I can't put it under a particular thread, like "Candids" or "Landscape" because it won't be kept together and that will make it hard to track my progress, maybe put it under Sundry, but then I am concerned that I will cross some line and be told that it should be under the member's challenges...

Can you see my dilemma or am I over-complicating this?? I want to do the right thing by the site, so any advice, suggestion or solution you can come up with would be greatly appreciated. The only idea I have come up with (admittedly at 2:15am on New Years morning...) is to place it under the member's challenge, but make it VERY CLEAR at the beginning that it is not part of the themed challenge and that the aim of the challenge for me is to take my every day life and make art from it, as well as challenging myself to improve my technical ability. Would this be okay?

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Erin.
    Better known as Erin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how I feel too, I don't want to do an ordered theme, I want to choose my own images each week reflecting what I have been doing. But I would like to get feedback / critique as usual.

Rick, might we have a Member's 52/2012 (unthemed) sub-forum?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, just put them in the regular critique forums as you do for any other photo, based on subject content. The 52/2012 is specifically a member CHALLENGE, what you are doing is a personal project and we cannot make AP fit every member's personal project needs, by creating forums every-time someone wants to undertake a different personal project, sorry.
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-01-2012 at 8:19am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    That's how I feel too, I don't want to do an ordered theme, I want to choose my own images each week reflecting what I have been doing. But I would like to get feedback / critique as usual.

Rick, might we have a Member's 52/2012 (unthemed) sub-forum?
    I've suggested to Rick and the other mods that there could be a sub-forum under Constructive Critique > Other called "Personal Projects". If he and the other mods agree, that would be the place for such personal challenges. I agree with Rick that the 52/2012 isn't the place for these and it would be too difficult to make individual sub-forums for various ideas whether themed or un-themed. I think my suggestion resolves the issue but it remains for Rick and Kym to say whether it can or should be done. I hope that helps.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I've suggested to Rick and the other mods that there could be a sub-forum under Constructive Critique > Other called "Personal Projects". If he and the other mods agree, that would be the place for such personal challenges. I agree with Rick that the 52/2012 isn't the place for these and it would be too difficult to make individual sub-forums for various ideas whether themed or un-themed. I think my suggestion resolves the issue but it remains for Rick and Kym to say whether it can or should be done. I hope that helps.
    A personal challenge sub-forum would be fantastic! If this could be done, I think it would be well utilised and I know that I'd really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Maezyra; 05-01-2012 at 11:41pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main issue against personal projects (and even some of the challenges) is they tend to dilute activity on the main CC forums.
    I'm open to ideas and discussion on this issue.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am open to discussion on this too. I was waiting to see other members input, but it has been scarce, so it made me wonder how much interest there would be in a forum for personal projects. As Kym says, we have seen in the past, members isolate themselves to only contributing on a specific forum, cause that is their focus, which takes away from the rest of the site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-01-2012 at 11:48am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Rick : As Kym says, we have seen in the past, members isolate themselves to only contributing on a specific forum, cause that is their focus, which takes away from the rest of the site.

I agree, Don't think it is needed , The CC forums are great , After all this site is about sharing and learning , The CC forums do that IMO - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    The main issue against personal projects (and even some of the challenges) is they tend to dilute activity on the main CC forums.
    I'm open to ideas and discussion on this issue.
    I agree that a personal challenge forum MIGHT dilute posting in the main forums, but I look at it as just a way to collect an individual's efforts in one place. That shouldn't exclude them being posted in the main forums on topic. I originally suggested that there only be 1 personal challenge thread allowed per member per year AND that the majority of images posted to that thread also had to appear in the main CC forums. That way members can challenge themselves and collect the results in a single thread BUT still contribute to the main forums when the image is on topic.

There has been so much fun and interest surrounding the previous 365 challenge and then the 52/2011 that it would be a shame if those who enjoyed those challenges didn't participate because they felt the 52/2012 too proscriptive for their liking. I don't think it's an either/or situation as most of the 52/2011 posters also posted in the main forums when they felt the image needed CC or warranted inclusion.

Of course, my opinion may not be shared but I'm only interested in inclusivity, not fragmenting the forum.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 06-01-2012 at 5:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in two minds about these 52's, they happen on a lot of forums, in one mind I reckon why not, if you do not wish to look then just ignore the thread, on the other hand I think you are taking a pretty big lend of the site by using it as a spring board to launch, what I think is, essentially a blog like subsite. Why not just post it on a blog?

another way to look at it - as long as said members contribute for each 'share' on the 52 then whats the harm?

In terms of dilution within a site, this may possibly be the case ( i think i recall kiwi mentionig this some time last year), but in my opinion no different than say someone posting 10 pictures in one thread, or conversely 5 threads each with a single image within 5 minutes, both which i think are big withdrawals and put a burden on people giving critique.

anyway pure ramblings now that i reread that...

Actually that dude who posted the self portraits (strobist, slightly tonal contrast and in various embarassing outfits ) every month, now that was manageable, enjoyable and did not feel like you saw it every day - whats wrong with doing a a 12 set? or is that too few?
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    Actually that dude who posted the self portraits (strobist, slightly tonal contrast and in various embarassing outfits ) every month, now that was manageable, enjoyable and did not feel like you saw it every day - whats wrong with doing a a 12 set? or is that too few?
    And didn't he do that (and make it memorable) via the main CC forums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    And didn't he do that (and make it memorable) via the main CC forums?
    without actually going and trying to find those threads.. i dunno? did he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone that completed the 52/2011, i will state right now that i made no contribution to any of the forums outside of that sub forum for that last year.

I really loved the project and doing it with my theme/evolution.

On a positive note it was great to have all my images and stories in one thread and it was easy to follow the others participants when they posted. It built up a great scence of community and looked forward to the genuine input.

However i feel the negative of this for me was my images where subject to cc from only a handful of people. In addition i tried to share as much information about my shoots and lighting and problems in encountered. Once again this would only have been seen by a limited number of users. Thus the sharing of information was limited.

i guess the crux is if user 'Bob' starts a project that i am intrested in how can a/ i easily follow him and b/maximise the/his involvement in the forum.

not sure if i have helped...
    A heap of Nikon stuff and some really bright lights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all. I just love this site. I started the 52/2011 just after I joined the site. It was the best thing to get my confidence and photographic learning curve working for me. I was keen to get knowledge and needed a commitment and a challenge to keep me focused. Like everyone else we are always busy and finding the time to take pictures is sometimes nearly impossible. I made time "Sorry family and drought/rain/cattle work/ ... I have to do this!! I took it on for 52 weeks!!" At the time I never even considered if it was themed or not or if you were supposed to make it so... I just wanted "in". I don't know if this is for or against themed or unthemed!!! I would have done it either way (unless it was city themed!! bit difficult) I just know that I feel able to contribute more to the forums this year and want to. i had the best help and encouragement last year and feel like I know the other participants. I got good cc and wanted to improve. I am still a bit hesitant about ccing "experienced" members.
    Kathy

Using a Nikon D90 and 18-200mm VR lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided I'll just put my weekly images up on my Blog, the number theme here didn't appeal at all, while I agree the discipline of shooting to a theme is good for your photographic skills and creativity, I could not get enthused about that one.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I agree that a personal challenge forum MIGHT dilute posting in the main forums, but I look at it as just a way to collect an individual's efforts in one place. That shouldn't exclude them being posted in the main forums on topic. I originally suggested that there only be 1 personal challenge thread allowed per member per year AND that the majority of images posted to that thread also had to appear in the main CC forums. That way members can challenge themselves and collect the results in a single thread BUT still contribute to the main forums when the image is on topic.

There has been so much fun and interest surrounding the previous 365 challenge and then the 52/2011 that it would be a shame if those who enjoyed those challenges didn't participate because they felt the 52/2012 too proscriptive for their liking. I don't think it's an either/or situation as most of the 52/2011 posters also posted in the main forums when they felt the image needed CC or warranted inclusion.

Of course, my opinion may not be shared but I'm only interested in inclusivity, not fragmenting the forum.
    As just a regular member, no one of consequence to the overall running of this site, I think this is a tremendous idea! I would be more than happy to place my photo of the week in two places - under a personal project sub-forum and under the main cc forum, to ensure my photo was open to wide range of opinions and critique. That would be the best of both worlds for me. However, I guess this could be hard to police. Maybe the user would need to state in their comments where else they have posted their photo or copy a link in, but personally, I would be happy to submit to the condition that I have to post on the main CC forums as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie View Post
    As someone that completed the 52/2011, i will state right now that i made no contribution to any of the forums outside of that sub forum for that last year.

However i feel the negative of this for me was my images where subject to cc from only a handful of people. In addition i tried to share as much information about my shoots and lighting and problems in encountered. Once again this would only have been seen by a limited number of users. Thus the sharing of information was limited.

And that is the issue that concerns the mods and I. people are segregating and only joining in with others doing the challenge. Whereas those not doing it, tend to critique across the forums more (using the NEW POSTS option). I have not done any of the challenges, but did critique a photo in the challenge forums, every now and then. However, I tend to try and critique across all areas of the critique forums, spreading my comments out.

Therefore we are hesitant to create more forums that could see further separation and segregation of members.

Having said that, we have still not made up our minds about a personal challenge forum, and we are reading the feedback in this thread.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Having said that, we have still not made up our minds about a personal challenge forum, and we are reading the feedback in this thread.
    I'll be interested to see where this goes. I'll be posting my photos, no matter what. I have posted my first week (here - http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...200#post966200) and I will continue to do so. IF there is a personal challenges sub-forum, I will posting my weekly photo there and in the main CC forums, if there isn't, just the main CC forums... One way or the other - I will get some feedback that spans beyond "Oooh, wow, pretty!!" that I tend to get from social networking sites. I would clearly prefer to be able to have a personal challenge forum, but if it isn't to be, so be it. I read a lot of the forums, but I can't often comment because the version of IE that is there doesn't support commenting on them, I can only do that when I am at home, which isn't often, but I try when I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie View Post
    ...participants when they posted. It built up a great scence of community and looked forward to the genuine input.
    should that not be the case for the whole site and all members rather than a single sub forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understand your dilemma, however, I find there is still plenty of room to interpret the theme in your own way.
    I've been challenged to go back over photos taken this last year and I've found a range of photos that might fit the theme. The Geometry theme is a good example. So many photos I've taken could be interpreted as having a geometrical inspiration ... even when I didn't take them with that in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast