User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPhone or Android?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    broke my Galaxy S2....early life failure they called it ..now on my second one!,,hope it lasts longer than the first

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got myself an HTC Sensation XL to replace my old HTC Hero. It's a great phone and the software is good enough.

There are two things I see as a plus for Apple: the completeness of the eco-system and the ability to pay using other ways than just credit card. The iTunes store (even though the software isn't my cup of tea) just is great and even though google announced google music I've yet to see it'll be filled like Apple's store.

For the moment though I'm quite happy with Android, even though the tablet I've got doesn't cut it like an iPad would.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for those out there using an android fone you may have noticed FB laging terribly lately. the cause is the latest update (or rather latest 2). my recommendations is to uninstall the updates till the next one comes out... much faster and more reliable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree that Apple rips people off. Considering it's such a multi billion dollar company, did you know that Apple does not contribute back to society? No donations, no charity, no philanthropy. It was quite shocking when i read an article on it and i believe it stems from Steve Jobs being a tight arse. He is a great visonary and all but he's one person i'd never want to work for.

Anyway back to the point. These days you really can't go wrong with WP7, Android or iOS. They have come a really long way and i'd reckon as long as it suits your needs, why not? I got a iphone 4 (never had an iphone) purely because it was cheap. If not i would have gone with a S2. Apple has become too much of a cult and Apple uses the ipod touch as a stepping stone for students. They give a free itouch for students when they buy a laptop so that they can ease them to the iphone in the future. All part of the marketing strategy. A good one at that!

Eventually all tech giants will meet a new foe. Motorola did, Ericsson Did, Nokia did, Microsoft did, Apple will too.

I remember the days of my first cellphone, Motorola microtac with the huge credit card sized simcard and pathetic battery life. Oh how we have progressed in technology.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 12-01-2012 at 1:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loads of great phones out there and quad core phones on the horizon. Me, I'm an android user: Galaxy S2. Why? The screen!!! Plus, being a developer I can't be bothered leaping through hoops and paying apple just for the privilege of developing an app for them and then paying them again to distribute an app when I can develop and distribute apps on Android for free.

I think iOS will go the way of Blackberry. Business people will use iOS and general consumers will use Android.

I also think that apps will be developed first on Android and then later ported to iOS.

That said, the iPhones themselves are top notch, its just the company that sucks.
    best regards

Chris.

flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am like a lot of others and use my mobile for phone calls (I rarely use text messaging, preferring to talk). My cameras are for photos, my CD player is for music, my DVD player is for movies and my computer is for most other things. So all I want is a phone everything else is wasted.
    Keith.
    See photo for collection, I had 3 bricks the one on the left all digital + a few I could not find. The phones all still worked but batteries were not available or prohibitively priced.

IMG_4975aSz2.jpg
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhone for a phone, Android for a tablet. Best of both worlds
    Canon EOS 300V (Film)
    Sony A6400
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    Considering it's such a multi billion dollar company, did you know that Apple does not contribute back to society? No donations, no charity, no philanthropy. It was quite shocking when i read an article on it and i believe it stems from Steve Jobs being a tight arse.
    From what I can gather, Jobs didn't think all that much of public philanthropy, but who knows what he did in private? I know some people prefer it this way. His wife is and has for some years been largely involved with philanthropy and Jobs signed Apple up for the Product(RED) campaign, which funds programs for women & children affected by AIDS in Africa. Bono has been quoted as saying that "Apple has been the largest contributor to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS" so I'm guessing a few bucks have changed hands there. Apple's current CEO, Tim Cook, is obviously a much bigger fan of doing it in public though and Apple started a charitable matching program in September last year.

I think Apple are also pretty concerned with ensuring their factories do the right thing by their workers too. I wonder how well Samsung do with this kind of stuff? You never hear much about their record, but it doesn't look like they're a member of the Fair Labour Association.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty obvious that you're somewhat of a fanboy toward Apple and these facts whilst refreshing is not much.

1. Red campaign was supported due to Bono and is not real philanthropy. Making use of "awareness" to promote their product sales is not the same as outright giving.
    2. Wife has is irrelevant to jobs. Her beliefs and what she does with her time does not reflect Job's beliefs, much less Apple's corporate beliefs.
    3. Factories issues were taken as "priority" due to public outcry. I used to live near the Chengdu Foxconn plant and have spoken to some of the workers/managers. Everytime the corporate people come down, a show is put on and lots of $$ splurged on the Apple staff. Straight out from a manager's mouth. Regardless, working conditions are still bad. It's all about the bottom line for these corporate companies.
    4. Fair Labour Association was joined to appease the public and gain confidence so that people will still buy their items after. Samsung has it's own fair share of factory deaths and so forth. Only difference is there is less media coverage over such stuff vs apple.
    5. Samsung has been doing corporate philanthropy for many years now, as with many many other companies. If you've not noticed over the years, probably you have apple eyes.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 16-01-2012 at 2:54pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use Samsung Galaxy II too.
    I love it .

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm currently sending this reply from my GalaxySII for this one time. the phone and OS all seem to work ok, but there were some annoyances that i had to sort through. First up was trying to get all my contacts from the old phone into this SII. stupid thing was that my old phone was also a samsung (jets8003) which uses a proprietary Samsung OS, but there was no easy way to migrate from one phone to the other!
    You'd think Samsung would provide an easy upgrade path... but of course they don't. in the end i thought i'd lose the formatting of my contacts in the old samsung phone, but in doing a Bt transfer from phone to phone, it worked flawlessly.
    the issue is the Samsung Kies software's inability to support any other format other than their own .spb format.
    No csv, xls, txt, doc, pst, nothing!... other than this useless .spb format.

anyhow, apart from this headache the phone and most features work well..... would never use the camera for any semi important uses though... same with an iPhone camera either! even a cheapie camera will provide better IQ.
    HTC desire also looks good from the brief play i had with my sis's the other day. much the same as the Galaxy SII really.
    But then again this is my first smart phone, where the samsung jet is more of a dumb drone... all apps were slow molasses based java apps that ran at glacial pace.
    so really this is my first intro into smart phoning.... looks good!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 22-01-2012 at 2:09am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    i'm currently sending this reply from my GalaxySII for this one time. the phone and OS all seem to work ok, but there were some annoyances that i had to sort through. First up was trying to get all my contacts from the old phone into this SII. stupid thing was that my old phone was also a samsung (jets8003) which uses a proprietary Samsung OS, but there was no easy way to migrate from one phone to the other!
    You'd think Samsung would provide an easy upgrade path... but of course they don't. in the end i thought i'd lose the formatting of my contacts in the old samsung phone, but in doing a Bt transfer from phone to phone, it worked flawlessly.
    the issue is the Samsung Kies software's inability to support any other format other than their own .spb format.
    No csv, xls, txt, doc, pst, nothing!... other than this useless .spb format.

anyhow, apart from this headache the phone and most features work well..... would never use the camera for any semi important uses though... same with an iPhone camera either! even a cheapie camera will provide better IQ.
    HTC desire also looks good from the brief play i had with my sis's the other day. much the same as the Galaxy SII really.
    But then again this is my first smart phone, where the samsung jet is more of a dumb drone... all apps were slow molasses based java apps that ran at glacial pace.
    so really this is my first intro into smart phoning.... looks good!
    Enjoy. It does take some playing with, to get used to. The Android OS is a bit more complex than the iOS, in that it is much more user customisable, so there is a lot hidden away in menu's etc, where iOS, is locked down fairly tight and it gives you a reasonable range of user settings.

Re transferring contacts, I just connected my iPhone to my PC, and synced (via iTunes) with Outlook. Then connected my S2 to the PC with Kies, and copied them over. I think using Outlook might have been the key factor. So I suppose it depends if your old phone was capable of syncing with Outlook, and if you even have Outlook.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have all my contacts in my gmail account now so any android device I login on they are magically there. Love my Android.
    Last edited by etherial; 22-01-2012 at 9:39am.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! Outlook may have been a factor for sure.
    I have it(Office) but never used it as I use T'bird.
    What gets me is that when you do an 'import contacts' job, the only option is this .spb format .... but! .. if you look in the default directory, Kies saves all manner of backup and peripheral files and one of those file types is called .ecsv. Have no idea on what it is and what it can do, but is unrecognisable as far as I found out.
    So without me having to go through the hassle of opening and registering myself with Outlook, do you have any alternate options for saving your contacts files?
    I only get this .spb format .. so for example in the future, if I want to export my contacts file to another format, I can't!

EDIT: Yeah! Ditto Mic.. spent most of yesterday configuring and saving and just general stuffing about with as much as my small brain could retain in such as short span of time.
    Can't see where any of this saved info is tho .. it'd be great if you could access it and save it as any other file format type ..... or transfer the info into other devices/software and so on.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 22-01-2012 at 9:48am.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AK., just googled 'sync thunderbird to android phone'.

Seems this freebie is what you need: http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OF course!

was playing stuffing abotu with it for most of the day yesterday and never really looked into some of the other apps available.

Just downloaded and installed MyPhoneExplorer(PC) and the client app(phone) from Android Market .. and it's a bucket load better than Kies software in terms of functionality.

Will sync all manner of stuff soon enough .. but for now it's back to the serious business of building bridges and flying paper planes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that I am not very fond of Apple. You just do want they want you to do on the product and thats it. After my entire family going Droid I decided it was time to follow suit. I picked up a Galaxy S i9000 for $200 and can't complain. Screen is Bigger and Brighter than the iPhone. It was also easy to migrate my stuff from iTunes to the Galaxy with Kies. Im just hoping for ICS on it.
    Phillips have actually made an iPod like speaker dock, heres a link to the PCAuthority Article. - http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/2...ker-docks.aspx
    Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 60D (Gripped) | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS | Canon 24-105 f/4L IS | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | Tamron 18-270 PZD | Tamron 90mm Macro | 50mm F/1.8 | Canon 430 EX II | Fancier BH-04 | - www.samgraudins.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still rocking out the HTC Desire - I learnt early on that the iPhone wasn't what I wanted.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my HTC Desire and since I flashed a custom ROM onto it, it has turned into a SUPER PHONE! I think I'll have it for a while yet, no reason to change.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I love my HTC Desire and since I flashed a custom ROM onto it, it has turned into a SUPER PHONE! I think I'll have it for a while yet, no reason to change.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Dare I ask what custom ROM you're using? I'm just using leedroids T-Mod, but have been thinking about changing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast