Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Linksys WRT54G firmware v7.00.1

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linksys WRT54G firmware v7.00.1

Does anyone have a copy of firmware v7.00.1 for the Linksys WRT54G router?

That's the version my router runs.

I am intending to upgrade it to the current version (v7.00.8), but unfortunately the Cisco site no longer makes older versions available, and I am hesitant to perform a firmware upgrade without having a copy of the firmware my router presently runs, just in case I need to roll back.

I've looked all over the Web for my version of the firmware, and cannot find it.

I just received a call from Cisco in the US, and unfortunately it is no longer permitted to make those old versions available.

If anyone has it, I'd be very grateful for a copy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my router in the settings somewhere there is a backup mode which will backup your server configuration. I wonder if this will backup everything including the current firmware?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd ask on www.Whirlpool.net.au or try Internode http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/i...port/hardware/

You can also get Open Source firmware for that unit... http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Also: You can (in an emergency) drop back to the Firmware on the CD that came with the router

Edit: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fg=57&q=wrt54g
    Last edited by Kym; 03-01-2012 at 2:31pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a backup tool, which backs up the firmware currently installed, plus any perosnlised config settings all in the one image file.
    Save this file to somewhere on your hard drive, and this is your version of the current setup.
    If you also want a clean version of 7.00.1 do a reset using the hardware reset button, and then do another backup of the firmware and save it with a different name.
    This is now your firmware file that is the default 7.00.1 firmware that you would download from anywhere else, just as you'd have downloaded it from Cisco themselves.

I'd suggest that you also try out some of the WRT files from places such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT too.
    The links to those firmwares are in the polarcloud website Kym linked too.

I haven't had a chance to download any of their files for my Netgear router(just plain forget or been too busy with other stuff to sit and set it all up all over again).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    On my router in the settings somewhere there is a backup mode which will backup your server configuration. I wonder if this will backup everything including the current firmware?
    No; it's only a config backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I just checked that Internode site, and unfortunately my model (WRT54G) is not listed.

You can also get Open Source firmware for that unit... http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
    I need the exact version of firmware that's running on the box now.

Also: You can (in an emergency) drop back to the Firmware on the CD that came with the router
    I already looked on the CD, and unfortunately there's no firmware on it.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    There should be a backup tool, which backs up the firmware currently installed, plus any perosnlised config settings all in the one image file.
    No; it doesn't work that way. The backup is only the configuration, not the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'd suggest that you also try out some of the WRT files from places such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT too.
    I'm not looking for alternative versions or distributions; what I need is exactly what's running on the box so that I can roll back to what I have right now if any other version proves to be unacceptably problematic.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 03-01-2012 at 6:31pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you just have to risk it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that when you do flash it, only use the Ethernet or usb connection.

WLAN tends to have mixed results.

Also the firmware youre looking at, has been in place since 2009. Maybe have a look around in some of the linksys forums and see what other people have to say.

If you do find it buggy, move to one of the openwrt or dd-wrt firmware versions. I have openWAG on my WAG200G, Opensource communities tend to develop patched quicker than manufacturers and give you added functionality (provided your modem is out of warranty, which I would assume is the case).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Sometimes you just have to risk it
    I'm more cautious. If the current firmware version has significant problems, and it's the only version available, I'm stuffed. Not really a situation I want to bring upon myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ranvens View Post
    Just make sure that when you do flash it, only use the Ethernet or usb connection.
    Yep; it's never a good idea to perform firmware upgrades wirelessly.

Also the firmware youre looking at, has been in place since 2009. Maybe have a look around in some of the linksys forums and see what other people have to say.
    That'll give me more questions than answers. :-)

If you do find it buggy, move to one of the openwrt or dd-wrt firmware versions.
    I am really not interested in alternative versions or fiddling with all manner of firmware makes and versions for something that just needs to sit in the background doing what it should do. All I want is a copy of what's running on the router now.

Unfortunately that's proving to be practically impossible.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This begs the question - why upgrade? (I use the wrt54g, and it still has the original firmware, version unknown, as i have not had any compelling reason to change.)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    This begs the question - why upgrade?
    Because I'm having issues with it, but I won't be going into details, as I'm not seeking advice, troubleshooting tips or suggestions for alternative firmware.

All I need is the same firmware running on it now. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 04-01-2012 at 9:34am.