Thread: Lens decision

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens decision

Hey all,

Looking for someone to help me out.

I'm trying to make a choice from two lenses:- Canon 10-22mm f3.5 Ultra wide or Canon 17-40mm f4 L Ultra wide, mostly for Landscape pics, with the occasional Portrait.

I shoot with a Canon 500D, which has the APS-C sensor......which makes me lean towards the 10-22mm, but the 'L' stamp is very attractive on the 17-40mm.

Price difference is very minimal, so i'm struggling to choose. Reviews & specs state that the 10-22mm has a slightly wider angle of view, but the 17-40mm will be superior for image quality....& features some water & dust protection.

The 17-40mm has the bigger zoom, but will be the equivilent to roughly 27mm base zoom, the 10-22mm being 16mm.

I have also looked at the equivilent lenses in Tamron, Sigma & Tokina. All the reviews seem to state that these are hit & miss....some like them, some hate them. I'm yet to read a bad review on either the 10-22 or 17-40....

So.....hoping that someone can offer some advice on which way i should swing. Any advice on these two lenses would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thoma.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and I don't use the 10-22 any more, only the 17-40. I would never buy an EF-s lens if I could avoid it. You will always be limited to using it on crop cameras.

JJ

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want wide, then the 17-40 gives no advantage over the kit lens that comes with the Canon 500D (other than maybe marginally better IQ).

There is nothing wrong with the Canon 10-22mm zoom but the two Sigma 10-20mm zooms are probably better although there is not much in it. There is also a great little Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 zoom which is a little cracker provided you can live with the restricted zoom range.

Ultrawide and portrait deseve two different lenses and you won't get a true ultrawide that will give you a good portrait lens.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my point of view (and this will depend on where you plan to use this lens) I always struggle with a variable aperture lens. I mostly shoot in AV mode and I use UWA lens for indoor group shots. I hate it when I set up a shot and change the zoom and the aperture changes (therefore changing shutter speeds). Outdoor this is not a problem but it should weigh into your decision.

As for comparing sharpness, quality, etc - as you stated, everyone has a different opinion which is mostly swayed on what lens they own at the time of the given opinion. I personally do not buy EFS lens as I find they do restrict my decision in the next buy or upgrade. With bodies now become consumables (with about the same life as a mobile phone) and with the advance in technology then FF is not out of anybodies reach in the future.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you don't mind getting a lens that is restricted to a crop sensore body only, I would look into the sigma 8-16mm, it is the widest lens available for a an APS-C body, it is cheaper than the canon 10-22.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would lean more towards the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 myself.

A cracker of a UWA with little distortion and great colours and contrast, and with the F2.8 opening, great to use indoors without a flash.

The view through the viewfinder is nice and bright too and when you're indoors, it can make a big difference.

I also considered getting the Canon 10-22, and the 2 Sigma's, but after putting them on my 60D, the Tokina won out.

Here's a shot I did recently, indoors without flash, using the Tokina.

Xmas2011-1933.jpg
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    Here's a shot I did recently, indoors without flash, ......
    Are you sure you didn't use flash for this photo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, looking back at the specs, I did use a flash for this photo which was bounced off the ceiling.
    Sorry about that, my bad.

Took so many photos that day...........................

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting a UWA, after what you've said Benny, the Tokina comes into calculations. At least I can see it works well with flash.
    Another informative thread.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Just for an update....i purchased the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. Very Happy with it so far. It's everything that the reviews say it is. Stay tuned for so images...!!

Regards,

Thoma