Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Lens Calibration Tools

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens Calibration Tools

Has anyboby used one before and would they recommend one?

Are they redundant after one use?

Looking at this one (http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-DC-S.../dp/B0043RTJN0)

Do any of the Site Sponsors sell one?

Cheers in advance.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a few around that you can print off and then fold and glue them to gether to achieve the same thing. Best of all they are free, so I would be trying them first and if you think you will need one regularly then pay for a good one.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously Roosta , I would'nt get to involved in all the technical stuff , Leave it to the Pro's , I've been taking shots for 50yrs and never had to calibrate a lens or Camera , I think , With respect it's the operators problem , Maybe technique or similar thats causing concern , What is the problem thats worrying you ?
    Last edited by William; 23-12-2011 at 7:53pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post
    There is a few around that you can print off and then fold and glue them to gether to achieve the same thing. Best of all they are free, so I would be trying them first and if you think you will need one regularly then pay for a good one.
    Thats what I though, any you've used or can recommend a link Terry?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Seriously Roosta , I would'nt get to involved in all the technical stuff , Leave it to the Pro's , I've been taking shots for 50yrs and never had to calibrate a lens or Camera , I think , With respect it's the operators problem , Maybe technique or similar thats causing concern , What is the problem thats worrying you ?
    Got two lenses with the 1D body, just want to check them, difference between the 2 bodies (50D - 1D) in focus. But doesn't seem to affect my 70-200mm, fussy, curious I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Focus test chart, see old skool's post, is the one I have used in the past (just couldn't remember it, even after a googling).

I only used it as I was having focusing inconsistancy with one lens when wide open. Didn't really solve the issue, but did force me to change the way I was using it. If I need consistant focus I close down the aperture a little and its fine or shoot in bursts (using cont focus and low frame rate) when its possible.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post
    Focus test chart, see old skool's post, is the one I have used in the past (just couldn't remember it, even after a googling).

I only used it as I was having focusing inconsistancy with one lens when wide open. Didn't really solve the issue, but did force me to change the way I was using it. If I need consistant focus I close down the aperture a little and its fine or shoot in bursts (using cont focus and low frame rate) when its possible.

Thanks boys, appreciate it.
    Last edited by Roosta; 24-12-2011 at 10:11am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just make one up, if you need a print out I have a pdf of teh one i did sometime ago..

see this thread

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...and-Back-Focus
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    just make one up, if you need a print out I have a pdf of teh one i did sometime ago..

see this thread

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...and-Back-Focus
    Thanks for that Gerry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all the fuss about AF fine tune is more trouble than it's worth, and with variable results being achieved with zooms at different focal lengths etc, I just find personally that if something is out, send it to the service centre, along with the body if necessary.
    They have the gear and the expertise to get it right without a heap of headache. This is especially the case for any lens under warranty. AF fine tune is just a feature manufacturers included to save themselves time and money by getting you to do the yards rather than manufacture your lens to spec.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I think all the fuss about AF fine tune is more trouble than it's worth, and with variable results being achieved with zooms at different focal lengths etc, I just find personally that if something is out, send it to the service centre, along with the body if necessary.
    They have the gear and the expertise to get it right without a heap of headache. This is especially the case for any lens under warranty. AF fine tune is just a feature manufacturers included to save themselves time and money by getting you to do the yards rather than manufacture your lens to spec.

The reason I asked had nothing to do with micro adjustment, I want to check two lenses against two bodies and get different results, no AF adjustments made. I want to check the body moreso. This will be the quickest and simplest way for me to see the results under my given pre sets, No warranty situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    AF fine tune is just a feature manufacturers included to save themselves time and money by getting you to do the yards rather than manufacture your lens to spec.
    Whatever the motives its certainly a feature I would have than not. Try getting a quote to correct a lens out warranty to a new body?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And further to gerry's reply it's also handy as confirmation that something is amiss.

It would save the owner time and money in taking gear to get checked out that is working correctly and where it turns out to be operator error.

While it works as a temporary solution to the issue of a misfocusing camera/lens, it's still only just that .. temporary.
    The best solution is to get the defective gear to a service centre to get it working properly.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    And further to gerry's reply it's also handy as confirmation that something is amiss.

It would save the owner time and money in taking gear to get checked out that is working correctly and where it turns out to be operator error.

While it works as a temporary solution to the issue of a misfocusing camera/lens, it's still only just that .. temporary.
    The best solution is to get the defective gear to a service centre to get it working properly.
    Yes on all accounts AK83.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little surprised to hear people against this, so I'll add some balance to the conversation (with all due respect to the opinions above).

I think getting good reliable accurate focus is very important and with an inexpensive tool like this and a little bit of time to make some adjustments it can be greatly improved. I use one of the free printed test charts, set it up at 45deg to the camera, shoot it at various focal lengths and adjust microadjust till it is right. Only takes an hour or two to do all my lens combinations on both bodies and the results are well worth it. And for mush less hassle, risk and cost than sending all my gear away.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

out of interest, do you send your body and lens off to be serviced/replaced if they are out by +/-10 ? has anyone done that? I am interested in knowing what nikon woudl do in these cases.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I'm a little surprised to hear people against this, so I'll add some balance to the conversation (with all due respect to the opinions above).

I think getting good reliable accurate focus is very important and with an inexpensive tool like this and a little bit of time to make some adjustments it can be greatly improved. I use one of the free printed test charts, set it up at 45deg to the camera, shoot it at various focal lengths and adjust microadjust till it is right. Only takes an hour or two to do all my lens combinations on both bodies and the results are well worth it. And for mush less hassle, risk and cost than sending all my gear away.
    You used to or still do have the 50D? is that right, and if so, which test chart did you go for?

Cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Blue, Yes I have the 50D and also the 7D. I have been using the test chart in the links already provided (this one). I'm interested in something like the one you showed as an example though, might be easier/quicker to set up and because you're focusing at a 90degs to the camera I reckon it would be more accurate and repeatable. Having said that I get pretty good repeatable results using the 45deg method that allow me to confidently set my focus microadjust and forget about it knowing that when I'm in the field it I don't need to think about it.

Cheers,
    Mic

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Hey Blue, Yes I have the 50D and also the 7D. I have been using the test chart in the links already provided (this one). I'm interested in something like the one you showed as an example though, might be easier/quicker to set up and because you're focusing at a 90degs to the camera I reckon it would be more accurate and repeatable. Having said that I get pretty good repeatable results using the 45deg method that allow me to confidently set my focus microadjust and forget about it knowing that when I'm in the field it I don't need to think about it.

Cheers,
    Mic
    Cheers Mic,