User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cropping - Maintaining the Photo Ratio or Changing for a Better Result?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Easy. My D3 can be set to shoot in 5:4 ratio...So if I want to do any 8x10's, I can shoot the photo in the right aspect ratio to start with
    So can the 7D.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I compose to whatever best suits the image.
    In most circumstances I would too, but there's often surrounding elements potentially causing grief. More so when working within different genres.

It's purely an aesthetic issue for me; I just don't like 4:5 (or 4:3).
    I don't particulalry like 4:3 myself, but I have an LF camera which has options to shoot 5:4, 6x7cm, 6x9cm, MF cameras which are 4.5x60cm and of course 35mm/DX. So for me, I don't feel the need to constrain to what the camera format is.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Easy. My D3 can be set to shoot in 5:4 ratio...So if I want to do any 8x10's, I can shoot the photo in the right aspect ratio to start with
    Heh. See, for me, 4:5 is never the right aspect ratio. I don't think my camera can do that anyway, but if it did, it'd never get used. :-P

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 7D can but never has.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thead has been good reading but I'm still trying to figure out some print sizes psot cropping.
    I have a full frame camera, I need to crop most of the photos I took at a show, more of less to zoom in adn enlarge the subject. I have already gone an cropped about 300 ranging between 5x7, 4x6 and 8x10. This might be a dumb question but will these print out on a standard 4x6 paper or 6x8 paper say from Big W or harvey norman?
    The photos will be for sale as printed or digital so I probably need a standard for me or customers to print. Should I just go with 4x6 or 6x8 for everything? Or as I asked above will those other cropped sizes still print out on a 4x6 or 6x8 which I think is the size I will be offering?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss Jane, with all due respect, if you have to ask the questions about image print format needed when you intend to sell the prints I reckon you are about 6 steps in front of your ability.

To put it simply, most DSLRs have a native image format of 2:3 and that applies to full frame or APSC sensor size.
    Some are able to be configured in camera to record in 4:5 and 9:16 format.

What did you capture the images at?

If you answer 2:3 then your images will fit on a 4x6 inch print ( close to but not exactly ) but other sizes like 8x10 and 5x7 will not fit properly.

Apart from all that I would do yourself a huge favour and not kill any repeat business by using Big W or Hardly Normal to do any printing that you wish to sell or enhance your reputation by.
    Last edited by I @ M; 13-05-2012 at 7:00pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
    This thead has been good reading but I'm still trying to figure out some print sizes psot cropping.
    I have a full frame camera, I need to crop most of the photos I took at a show, more of less to zoom in adn enlarge the subject. I have already gone an cropped about 300 ranging between 5x7, 4x6 and 8x10. This might be a dumb question but will these print out on a standard 4x6 paper or 6x8 paper say from Big W or harvey norman?
    The photos will be for sale as printed or digital so I probably need a standard for me or customers to print. Should I just go with 4x6 or 6x8 for everything? Or as I asked above will those other cropped sizes still print out on a 4x6 or 6x8 which I think is the size I will be offering?
    They will print at the aspect ratio's you have cropped them to, So trying to print a 5x7 on a 4x6 papersize will not work, it will need to be printed on a 5x7 paper. As Andrew above, says, this is fairly basic printing stuff. I also agree with him about not using BigW or HN for prints you want to sell. Find a good quality, dedicated photo printer.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALSO - please understand that if you crop to a SIZE, that is the size that the image will BEST print at.
    That is if you crop to a 6x4 size, then that is all you have, a 6x4, which will not print well if enlarged.

It is always best to crop to a ratio, and as long as you are not cropping too much or hard, is more likely to print quite well and most sizes (up to a point) that suit the same ratio
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, now, thanks to the replies i am 5 steps in front of my ability I have not printed/enlarged photos since the film days. And yes I am new to this side of photography ie printing & selling.
    This show was my first "professional" job that I was asked to do in conditions that I have never tried before, so it was a huge learning curve.
    The answer from Mark "It is always best to crop to a ratio, and as long as you are not cropping too much or hard, is more likely to print quite well and most sizes (up to a point) that suit the same ratio" is what I was looking for. But all the answers were very helpful.
    Next step would be to find a photo printer, I think Camera House is the only one in town but I will check it out.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This thread has taken off! I'm loving all of this debate about cropping! Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far!
    Better known as Erin.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I crop to whatever works for the image. The key is non-destructive editing.
    So the original is preserved which will often save u printing headaches as everyone has suggested.
    Or keep whatever ratio you've cropped to but paste it on a blank 'canvas' in a common ratio and send that in for print. So you get no surprise cropping when the print comes back, jz a slightly smaller image with some white around it which you block out when mounting for display anyways.
    Eg. BigW has an offer right now for $1 11X14 prints. What sort of ratio is 11X14!!!! Yea I know, printing from BigW with no ctrl over prints but at $1 who can complain, but I digress.
    So yea, paste your cropped photo onto a 11X17 canvas and print without worrying what gets cut off. Then physically cut the white out of the prints if required.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12