I'm not normally one to post such questions, I prefer to do my own research but I am really struggling to make my mind up on this one.

Currently I'm in photographic doldrums, I am bouncing around different genres trying to work out what really makes me tick. At the moment my main focus is motorsport, but with my partner owning a dance studio I've had some exposure to concert and studio photography and have just bought a Tokina 11-16mm for landscape, and derelict building photography. I would definitely like to do some locational portraiture in the coming months.

I am happy with the lenses I've got (except for possibly a 70-200mm f2.8L), but I can't help but feel like the body is killing me. The poor AF system and slow 3.7fps of my current 600D are the main issues. I would also like a body that can handle higher ISO's a little better.

So my main choices at the moment are the 7D and a 1D MkIII. I've seen some good condition 1D3's go for around $2000 and some 7D's at around $1200. Budget-wise I can stretch to $2000, but I have heard of AF issues on the 1D3's and this concerns me.

So what do you guys/girls think? Am I going overkill with a 1D3?

(P.s I am planning to wait until the new 1DX comes out which will hopefully reduce the price of older 1D's by $$$'s)