User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have studio lights and never use them for the smaller stuff.............I find them absolutely cumbersome for anything other than people!

For my smaller studio stuff I have collected over the years some great things from ebay and gadget infinity.
    For flashes I have 2x Vivitar 285HV....2x Yongnuo 460....1xOlympus FL36 and a recently purchased Yongnuo 560 of which I am sure I will get another, it is a solid little bugger.
    With these I have 2x strobe softboxes, triggers, pc leads, snoots and an array of light modifiers for strobes.

It is light, easy and affordable................in fact I still often use them for people shots.
    It will do more for you than you could imagine..........particularly if you have a smallish workspace.
    You could rig up a frame around a table and attach your flashes via bungee chords etc............many, many versatile solutions!!

Good luck with your endeavour.
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way................"Good Glass'...........great idea and smart investing!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24-70 is great if you're doing indoor. The thing is, if you're doing studio, most modern glass (meaning even the non Ls 28-105, 18-135, etc) will be sharp at f8. Consider getting a 24-105 f4 instead of the 24-70 2.8 if you are doing purely studio work. Actually i'd recommend you to go primes for studio due to the difference in image rendering vs a zoom. Depending on how big your room is 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm (if your room is really big).

IMO: Invest more in your studio than your glass as fess67 has mentioned. Lighting makes or breaks the photo in studio work, not the glass or the body. A good example how much it takes to make a nice setup .

Also what kind of studio work are you thinking of? People? Objects?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that setup will cost a bomb, right? I don't think I need those at the moment.

I understand that primes are going to give me more sharpness, etc but I personally feel that Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is giving me enough versatility at the moment.

My studio work will focus mainly on objects, tiny stuff, products shot, etc. Portraits will come once in a while.
    Crumpler 5 Million Dollar + Canon EOS 7D + Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM, Manfrotto tripod
    Previous owned gear: Canon EOS 400D, Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Macro Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 55-250m, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreamer View Post
    Wow, that setup will cost a bomb, right? I don't think I need those at the moment.

I understand that primes are going to give me more sharpness, etc but I personally feel that Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is giving me enough versatility at the moment.

My studio work will focus mainly on objects, tiny stuff, products shot, etc. Portraits will come once in a while.
    Continuous lighting is cheaper than strobes. Well... depending.. but generally it is. Check out the ebay kits, easily acheivable with about $100 for 2 light boxes, stands and globes. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-120W-...item5890f25cea
    Just an idea. There are many ways to how you want to achieve the result. Not the best work but it was my first time doing a product shoot. http://www.keefy.net/9fruit/ First page is mostly 1 shoot through brolly top left, rear of product left fill and right of product highlight. Used a torchlight to bring out the glitter and background was 3 sheets of A3 paper. 2nd page was done with a 60cm square light tent and continuous light from next to a window and a reflector on the opposite side. I still have loads to learn but it was fun and educational .

Sharpness is not the only advantage of a prime. Distortion and contrast is the other 2 main aspects. If you're doing small stuff a light tent will do very well. Add on a few lamps and you're good to go. Easily acheivable below $100.

At 50mm (35 mm equiv) headshots will not be it's best. Consider to add on the 50 1.4 if you're staying with the crop. The sigma version is better than the canon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreamer View Post

Then for whatever reason the TS-E 45 is not on the radar: as another suggestion you might consider the EF50/2.5 as an additional lens to your Sigma 30mm.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still say that if you are doing small stuff, you can't go past geting a good macro lens.

And has been said before, good lighting is an absolute must.

The 24-105L is a great lens and I often use this lens for product shots too.
    While I haven't used one, from what I've read, the Sigma 30mm has a bit too much distortion to be used as a lens for product shots, but great for landscapes.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Then for whatever reason the TS-E 45 is not on the radar: as another suggestion you might consider the EF50/2.5 as an additional lens to your Sigma 30mm.

WW
    Absolutely right! Discard my 50 1.4 comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I still say that if you are doing small stuff, you can't go past geting a good macro lens.

And has been said before, good lighting is an absolute must.

The 24-105L is a great lens and I often use this lens for product shots too.
    While I haven't used one, from what I've read, the Sigma 30mm has a bit too much distortion to be used as a lens for product shots, but great for landscapes.
    Spot on!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much struggling and haggling, I've finally ordered my 7D and Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 (not the new version)!!!

Waiting game has begunnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good choice I personally own the 7d and in love with the AF system you ate going to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, it's been stunning, especially the 24-70L! Sharp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12