Thread: Places around Melbourne to shoot

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Places around Melbourne to shoot

Hi Guys

I know there have been a few threads like this before but I am desperate for new areas within 50kms of Melbourne to shoot. I am looking for

1. Fields of lavender or sun flowers
    2. Abandoned railway tracks
    3. Hay shed that is accessible and possible to set up a shoot
    4. Creek that is not poluted and teaming with anglers
    5. Old houses that are available and not tresspassing
    6. Pier where I won't have to buy a ticket to wait and shoot (Brighton Pier)
    7. Clean beach which offers some privacy to do a bikini shoot in Feb

Not asking much but anything you can help me with is much appreciated. I don't mind driving and scouting out areas if you can give me a general direction and area.

Cheers
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Hi Guys

I know there have been a few threads like this before but I am desperate for new areas within 50kms 500 klm of Melbourne to shoot. I am looking for

1. Fields of lavender or sun flowers
    2. Abandoned railway tracks
    3. Hay shed that is accessible and possible to set up a shoot
    4. Creek that is not poluted and teaming with anglers
    5. Old houses that are available and not tresspassing
    6. Pier where I won't have to buy a ticket to wait and shoot (Brighton Pier)
    7. Clean beach which offers some privacy to do a bikini shoot in Feb

Not asking much but anything you can help me with is much appreciated. I don't mind driving and scouting out areas if you can give me a general direction and area.

Cheers
    Got all of them , lavender is a bit scarce but sunflowers are here and maybe think about a field of fully grown sweet corn as something outside of the norm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Areas around Bunyip & Nar Nar Goon meet most of your requirements but you are looking @ closer to 80Km rather than 50 so it may be too far - although freeways make things closer time wise .

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also out towards Ballarat.

Lavender is all gone now tho.
    I know that the hills up around Wallan occasionally get a covering of Patterson's Curse. It's not lavender, but it's purple!

Old houses abound, but way past the 50klm zone ... I don't know about trespassing, I just assume they all will be subject to that.

Creeks are all polluted! If you're doing this around Feb, they'll most likely all be dried up anyhow. It generally gets very dry around here by then, but with this current weather, who knows?

Don't know any of the names of piers, but there are heaps that you don't have to pay for.
    Just about anywhere along the shoreline from Albert Park towards Frankston you'll see a pier every couple of klms or so.

Most anglers use them, and not the dead creeks to whittle away their time.

Private beach will be a lottery unless you go way out of town.
    The temperature will be the deciding factor. If it's hot, 99.9% chance that you will be out of luck. Every square millimeter will be swarming with beachgoers till late evening.
    There are some areas in the west that you'd be hard pressed to call a beach .. more like swamp, and for this reason they're usually avoided by folks.
    In some sections they can be surprisingly clean and neat, but you may have to travel by foot for miles.

There are plenty of rocky areas down towards Mordialloc that are more sparsely used, so if rocky beaches are ok, then pick a spot and most folks will give you the room you need.

The only abandoned railway tracks that I know of around Melb, have all had their tracks removed, although I think that there are some parts of the old line to Yarra Glen that may still exist.
    Otherwise you may have to use the Puffin Billy line, when the train is not running.
    There are timetables for PB, and I think in general it ceases at about 6 or 7PM most days.
    That'd be your best bet, but do check the timetables. Sunset is at approx 8:30-9PM that time of year.
    Because they're narrow gauge no other trains travel along those lines.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N