Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Gear for NZ

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gear for NZ

Just wanting to know what gear I should take to NZ. We'll be going to NZ in early May and just wanted to know what our views are on bringing gear to NZ.

Will be touring the South Island for 2 weeks.

I gear is in my sig. At the moment, I'll be bringing the 14-14 and the 24-70mm lens. Unsure about the 70-200mm as it's quite heavy.

Planning to take mostly landscapes. But there is the rare occasion I could capture some wildlife, and the 70-200 coupled with the 1.7TC would be perfect.
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everything
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a 20 mm, 24-70, and 70 -200 on my trip to NZ. I used the 70-200 about 20% of the time, but it was invaluable for the amazing birds.
    I strip all the hoods, collars etc off the lenses to minimize the weight in my carry on luggage and carry the camera body with 20mm lens over my shoulder.
    Everything else gets wrapped in bubble wrap in the check in luggage.
    Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, looking at your gear list Darren is right, pack the lot. When we travel my carry-on is my camera backpack. The only thing I don't put in it is my 150-500, because it is over the weight limit with that.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't take the 70-200 you'll miss it, even if you only take landscapes.

dieselpower
    Take the lot. I used everything I took, mind you only used the 50mm f/1.8 once and the 55mm f/2.8 macro once - however, I should have used the macro more.
    Lens I used the most was the 11-16mm (crop sensor) - but at times it was a bit difficult to compose shots with as it didn't give an accurate reflection of the magnitude of some of the mountains etc. In places where I could compose with something in the foreground it was great.
    17-55mm was second most used and was a good walk around when I didn't want to change lenses -- Milford Sound cruise, Glacier Hike etc.
    70-300 was good for some of the landscapes as I often wanted to capture something that was a fair way distant.

You'll also want a tripod if you want to do any low light work - I took my Manfrotto 180xprob but it was a bit of a pain due to the size. I should have got a decent travel tripod or gorillapod before going.

Don't know what the weather would be like in May but it rained for us (just got back). I bought a new camera bag with an all weather cover which paid for itself in the first 2 days as I could walk around in the rain in confidence, knowing my gear was safe.

dieselpower
    Quote Originally Posted by LJG View Post
    Yep, looking at your gear list Darren is right, pack the lot. When we travel my carry-on is my camera backpack. The only thing I don't put in it is my 150-500, because it is over the weight limit with that.
    I was over the weight limit with my camera bag - granted not by much. Nobody ever checked the weight though. From speaking with other travellers with decent camera kit the concensus is if it's not obviously heavy you'll generally be ok. If questioned, say 'this is $10k (or whatever the value is) worth of camera gear - no way am I checking it'. The going story is that if you're not a jerk about it you'll typically be ok. Besides, no matter how big or heavy your bag is, someone else will have one bigger...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses guys!!! Some really useful and thoughtful replies. Looking forward to bringing the 70-200 along with me

It's a shame that the TC17 doesnt fit on the 24-70.
    Last edited by arnica; 19-12-2011 at 10:51am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you have a 24-120 f/4 ? cant see that adds much, you could crop and get the same result

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    so you have a 24-120 f/4 ? cant see that adds much, you could crop and get the same result
    Yeh I know what you mean. But i was thinking more along the lines of weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some top advice given above, i did the South Island last year and my biggest regret was i didnt take a longer reaching Lens. Along the coast you r wil come across some nice seal colonies and to get the right shots you will need the reach as well as some nice Birds...
    Take plenty of storage or something to download your images to, x-tra batteries cause they can die a tad early in the cold weather and whatever you do dont forget the charger lol..
    Cheers and you will lve the place.
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo is doing pretty much the same trip at about the same time.

He is only taking 1 body, 11-18mm wide zoom, 400mm f5.6 and a X1.4 converter. Both main lenses are very light and compact. This covers all landscape and wildlife needs. Can't see Mongo doing any macro or people photos - so not interested in those for this trip.

Word of warning, too much gear - too much trouble. If you do take more than 2 lenses, make a note of which you actually use. There may be some you take for the ride but never use.
    Last edited by mongo; 22-12-2011 at 10:13am.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 70-200mm got a hammering with landscapes, you'll want to get close up of the mountains and glaciers, take everything you've got, you wont regret it. I had my 50D + grip 10-20mm, 18-50mm and 70-200mm, flash and filters and batteres and remotes all as carry on laugage, never checked for weight. Put my tripod in my checked laugage, bubble wrapped and put inbetween my clothes.

Grad filters are a must IMO. Also a weather proof cover if hiking with bag.
    If you go near any of the water ways, take some dame good repelant, the small little black sand flies will bite you to no end, long hiking pants are a must 'Katmandu or the like' The West Coast is a must, Aurthurs Pass, Panukiki, and the Glaciers for starters.

Have a great trip, amazing place.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAs anyone used those "fader" ND filters?

Here's the places we intend to visit:

• Lake Tekapo
    • Mt Cook
    • Moerki
    • Milford Sound
    • Te Anu (Glow worm caves)
    • Queenstown
    • Lake Wanaka
    • Franz Josef or Fox Glacier
    • Punakaiki
    Last edited by arnica; 10-01-2012 at 3:45pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean variable ND or graduated ND filters? Haven't used the variable ND filters as they wouldn't be much use to me as my ND filters are usually used in landscapes, therefore I need the graduated type.
    If you're not going to do one of the glacier hikes I can recommend the helicopter flights over the glaciers, simply stunning and usually includes a set down and short walk on the ice.
    Regards
    Warren