User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: SLR Sliders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLR Sliders

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a slider (on the cheap side) about 25" or 45" for a SLR camera.

Ta muchly in advance
    Last edited by andreav; 15-12-2011 at 11:46pm.
    Andrea

My gear: Body: Nikon D7000.
    Lenses: Nikon 105mm f/2D AF DC, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF, Nikon AF 20mm f/2.8 D, Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR, Nikon DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR.
    Strobist: 1 x Nikon SB-600; 2 x Nikon SB-900; 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Transceivers N3; 1 x Softbox, 1 x Bounce brollie.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs (Black); Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I assume you mean a rail? : http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?...kon+Pentax+K4G are the cheapies (as requested)
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-12-2011 at 8:04am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they *mean* a slider - a mini dolly-track rail used by DSLR cinematographers and videographers for performing camera moves (track, dolly and crane moves) and time-lapse videos. Unless you can find a macro rail that's 45" long. XD

General principles: get a slider that has a wide rail width for stability and strength, or it will be very finicky to set up on location, and will flex under load. If you want to save money, try one of the DIY kits based on IGUS linear bearings; I think the cost of one of these is between $200-$400, depending on options and how much you DIY.

Because almost all sliders are based on linear bearings, this is about the least you'll pay for a good, smooth, slider system. I have tried out a number of budget sliders, and the adage "he who buys cheap, buys twice" applies at the bottom of the range. If you want smooth, accurate camera moves, it's worth investing in a decent system; and a good slider, based on industrial linear bearing, will last you forever.
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both! Yes ElectricI you're spot on. Throughout my research I did come across the IGUS. Did you try it ? Any idea where I can buy it from in Melbourne or AU in general?