User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: "Changing Styles"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Changing Styles"

Is it good to change your style of Photography , Or do you just get stuck in the rut of the same old same old , I change all the time Especially lately now that I have a certain style plan to keep to , Do you try to keep up with the latest styles and Ideas , Do you try new things , I do , Or do you stick with a good thing (And proven) and stagnate eventually into boredom , Just wondering if I'm on the right track , Like to here your ideas - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes..
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You change often Willy !

Currumbin, Kirra, the 'Gatta, Burleigh.

Seriously, your favoured genre has two constantly changing elements, the sea and the sky.

There are infinite ways to weave them into the days tapestry. Holy snapping duck droppings, did I just say that? And only on my second stubby !
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kev, I dont mean locations , I mean camerea techniques , POV, Composition , DOF etc , Somone thats making a lot of Money and big sponsers like this http://www.aquabumps.com/2011/12/05/mondayitis/ , If I put some of these up for CC I would get , That sky is blown out , The FG is blurry etc , But it works and he sells heaps , I tried the same type of thing today and got a comment about the FG not being sharp
    , This one ( Sorry Graeme ) It's different I know , But is it hard to convert viewers to other ideas and styles , Hope this makes some sort of sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William,
    I think its easy to fall into the comfort zone, especially when the images look good and they elicit good remarks and sales. For me the problem is the old demons, time and money. There are photographers who grasp or invent a concept just with sheer talent and master it quickly, then there is the likes of me, hours of practice with average results, going back to the drawing board and then occasionally hitting on a genre that I can feel at least competent in. However, I believe that you can run the risk of supressing talents that are yet to emerge. I think we all like a pat on the back, atta boy, but in this artform I believe that pushing your own personal boundries can in most cases be very rewarding for at least yourself regardless of others thoughts of the results. I am old school and struggle with some of the newer "arty" styles that abound and get rave reviews, but thats just a generation thing and no different to my mother in law saying that close cropping ruins an image, pick up any magazine and that style is the norm. At the end of the day, as long as you enjoy yourself its all good, and I would go as far to say a lot of people here at this forum enjoy your posts.
    Andrew
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, my post was meant to be a bit 'tongue in cheek'.

But as I said
    " Seriously, your favoured genre has two constantly changing elements, the sea and the sky. There are infinite ways to weave them into the days tapestry.
    I can assure you that the work you are producing has a heap of appeal. Do not get sidetracked by overly techo pixel peepers.

I'm bloody positive that there is a big market out there for your stuff. Like any product, the challenge is how to tap it.

Do you speak Japanese, or Mandarin, or Korean? You probably don't see too many of those visitors down the southern end of the coast, but as I'm sure you are aware, they are thick on the ground from Broadbeach to Main Beach.

Maybe a Japanese website for starters?

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out there.

BTW, I rather liked the above pic. The soft blue tones, the vignette, and the understated action, all help make an interesting and soothing image.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts Andrew, Yes I'm old school as well , But I'm very open to new ideas in Photography , Thats why I'm trying these new ideas and trends , I dont have a problem with the technical side of creating these styles and ideas , I guess I'm a bit apprehesive as to wether it will work or not , And yes I'm stepping out of my comfort zone , But enjoying it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    yes..
    That is why Kiwi has 11,000+ posts, and you have only 4,000+
    I like to try different things all the time. I'm one of those "Can't Sit Still" types, and get easily board. And I love a challenge.
    I'll see something on here, and think I'd like to try that. Then for the next week or so, I'll be out there giving it a go.
    You could say I'm a jack of all genres, but master of none.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William
    Is it more the marketing of the images? I see lots of blown out, badly composed, weirded out images selling........for way more money than I think they deserve.....maybe the artists can sell ice to the eskimos's ? I have no idea what makes people buy the stuff that they do......but I also like to experiment with styles.....maybe we haven't found our 'own' style yet?
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Geoff!!! I change constantly and will never say 'oh I can't do that'!! I am constantly pushing, trying, achieving, failing and doing it all again!!
    I feel my favorite genre/style will shine through eventually, until then I will continue to try different things, be inspired by others and hopefully come up with an original thought lol!!!

Photography makes me happy and I love the challenge, it is my hobby and my greatest passion!! This enables me to continue to enjoy, I am not in this for monetary gain or for a career. They are not my goals, but having said that if the opportunities arise I would of course examine them as long as it never became a chore!!

We all have our own goals and mine is self satisfaction, so my 'style' will of course continually evolve!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every wedding cycle 'every financial year' I change the style of my wedding photography, in approach and also lighting techniques to keep it constantly fresh and engaging, and not do the same shite every time like many do when they fall into the comfort zone trap.

every year I change my commercial photography style to more and more upmarket and complex both visually and emotionally

every year I try to push the boundaries of my fine arts photography to tease or question the limits of human morals and ethics and accepted social norms

so yes, its good to try and push your skills and knowledge all the time. But only when it is suitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you too Seabee about changing all the time. I have only recently joined this forum last week and even only after 5 minutes of looking through some different photos tonight...Including yours, there are so many things I'd love to try myself. (I loved the gel balls and would be keen to hear about the techniques)
    I have been very inspired by a lot of images and William...I too quite like you're image above and checked out the website quickly, there are some interesting photos!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah , Good Thanks for the supportive comments guys , At least I'm not alone , I feel better now , And feel I'll keep on changing and developing my style with confidence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I have found a new reason to hate summer. I have to go to work early in the morning, and usually awake about 4:30 - 5:00am. I find it hard to get out late evening because I'm usually in bed no later than 9:30pm. I don't like taking the camera to work as security is an issue. And it is too hot to leave it locked away in the car. (Have a secret hideaway) And there is only so many sunsets/sunrises I can get from the veranda. Weekends the weather usually turns to crap, or there is something on that takes up all my attention.

The next adventure is family portraits. I have been asked to do a few for friends at work. They know I'm a hobbyist, and don't expect a lavish job. A friend is going to help me that is already an established photographer. But she has only limited knowledge of what we are about to do. But some is better than none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if change is not comfortable or acceptable then we would tend to stagnate I reckon Bill. I hate being the same as someone else even copying another. I like what you do with the surf/beach scene but I don`t try to do the same. Personally I`d like to be an all rounder tog enjoying myself in the process.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.