User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking photos of children?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AV mode definately the go with kids, or any portraits for that matter if you are not confident going full manual. Got some spectacular shots of my 4yo boy doing this, and hopefully will again this weekend. Love the sticky tape idea.
    Enjoy
    60D Gripped- EFS 18-55mm, 18-135mm, Nifty50, YN565, Manfrotto, CarrySpeed Strap and a long wish list.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbaronflash/
    http://razzi.me/redflash

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." Dean Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're shooting in a room with relatively consistent light I don't see why you shouldnt go manual. It saves a lot of time later. If they're going to be running around in and out of rooms, or there's lots of windows letting in light in only a small area or whatever then AV mode is probably the best if you're not confident of getting it right

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnkstr View Post
    If you're shooting in a room with relatively consistent light I don't see why you shouldnt go manual. It saves a lot of time later. If they're going to be running around in and out of rooms, or there's lots of windows letting in light in only a small area or whatever then AV mode is probably the best if you're not confident of getting it right
    Cause this is in the NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY forum, and those asking are probably not at the stage of shooting in full manual. This forum is about guiding people slowly towards better photography, and therefore telling a newbie just to use manual is not helping them.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely go down low. If they aren't co-operating, try taking a photo with them not in it, and showing it to them on the back of the camera. Pull a sad face and say that you can't see them, and that you need to try again. They'll generally get interested and play up a little. Just make sure you let them see the results!
    Also, just a hint - try to be careful that you are just including your grandchildren in the shots. Some parents can get a little uncomfortable if they think a stranger is photographing their kids :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the sticky tape idea, can't wait to try it. I find making lots of noise, specially high pitched noise, makes them look at the camera. Even young babies will try to see where the noise is coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lying on the ground so you get down totheir level, or lower, always makes for better shots of kids. One thing I havefound, when shooting my grandson it is like he is rocket propelled. He justdoes not stay still! To do candid shots I find it better to get a distance awayand use my 70-200 rather than get in close with a shorter lens. You get abetter perspective that way and their running around does not affect the shotsas much.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another idea for shooting kids is to always carry bubbles! You know the little bottles of bubble solution?? You can either blow bubbles yourself (or get mum/dad/helper to) and get the kids attention, or if that's not working, and they are old enough, get them to do it themselves. Kids ALWAYS love bubbles! And they can look good in photos too.
    And yes, absolutely get down to their level. Don't worry too much about trying to get them to look directly at the camera and smile.... the best shots are of the kids just doing what they are doing (reading a book, playing with a ball etc). Most of the time they will then naturally look up and smile as they check out your reaction or seek your approval of what they are doing, so just be on the ball and snap away when they do!
    And another thing just try to pay attention to the background. Try to avoid garbage bins, people walking their dog (who usually ends up doing a poo right as you snap the perfect picture. LOL), cars, powerlines/poles etc.
    **Canon EOS 40D *** **Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM**Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L***Canon 580EX Speedlight**

I'm here to learn, honest critique welcome on my photos unless otherwise stated.
    >>>>www.melissamillerphotography.com.au <<<<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for sharing there are some great tips here.
    Olympus E-510 | Kit lenses Olympus 14mm- 42mm, 40mm- 150mm & newly acquired 50mm f/2
    Photoshop Elements 6 | Velbon Tripod |FL-36 Electronic Flash

Next on the hit list is Sigma 10mm - 20mm

Any comments and critique welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i keep the shutter speeds above 1/200th and lowest aperture and use my 70-300 tamron vc.. someone else to distract the littluns always helps..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont expect to get the good shots at the start. Just interact with the kids fo ra while, the best shots always come at the end when everyone is more relaxed. Ive even had to revisit children so they are comfortable with me.

And the statement about this being a new to photography forum and not using Manual is spot on. I think a lot of people like to talk up "using manual" to make themselves sound better. Definitely go Av and the lowest number your camera will allow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyong who says get on their level.

I have also found if you let the kids play with the camera it relaxes them a bit too.

My favorite way to shoot is candid, so the closest I come to posing is placing them near an object I want the child to interact with, maybe calling their name.

If you have someone else around to keep an eye on them and be close if they get in danger it lets you concentrate on taking the photos.

I use flash if they are playing in the shade.

These are typical of what I get (only small images but I hope you get the idea).

Cousins_07 by mini696, on Flickr

Cousins_06 by mini696, on Flickr

Cousins_05 by mini696, on Flickr

Cousins_04 by mini696, on Flickr

Cousins_03 by mini696, on Flickr

Cousins_02 by mini696, on Flickr

Cousins_01 by mini696, on Flickr
    I know nothing about anything, only what I like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12