User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  30
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MY IMAGE STOLEN AND USED IN AN ONLINE NEWSPAPER! what do I do?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $325 for once only, non-excusive use; plus $1300 for use without prior authorisation, tampering with the image, removal of the signature and publishing without crediting the copyright owner.

That comes to $1,625 - is that close enough to that new lens you wanted?

BTW, I wonder how much (or little) of the Getty images fee goes to the copyright owner. I had an invite to add one of my photos to Getty and declined. There are too many images on Getty so I thought it was pointless and the amount of potential income wouldn't be enough to sway me from my extreme left-wing bias towards capitalism.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was until recently a Getty stringer would get 50%, it's just been changed to 35%.....it may be similar here I'd think.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If u click on the link again u will see the photographers name
    Also I recieved a MSG and they paying me for the image. I'm very happy with the result, thanks for your support everyone xxx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...=feeds-newsxml
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Danielle, and that guy did the wrong thing and is a complete (insert words you sometimes use here) but all has turned out well.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle10 View Post
    If u click on the link again u will see the photographers name
    Also I recieved a MSG and they paying me for the image.
    Glad to hear it turned out well.

While it's nice to be paid for your work, it's mightily irritating when someone helps himself without even seeking permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle10 View Post
    I looked at Getty images and randomly chose some photos. One I clicked on was $325 and another one was $780!!! ( and the 780 one was pretty bad IMHO)

I can't go asking for amounts like that, they'll just brush it aside and not care, I'll be lucky to get $50 so they just shut me up.
    I'm pleased that you were eventually paid.

My suggestion for you to look at the cost of using a Getty image, was so you could understand the value media do actually place on intellectual property - such as in this case, a visual image.

They care very little about who you are, your level, your standard, how many cameras you have, or how long you've been doing it for. It fills a space in a web page or in a printed material, and the issue here is that space has a value; a value to the producer of the paper, both in production (ie editorial) and in saleable space (ie advertising).

Frankly what you think you should ask for was in all honesty irrelevant, what was important was that they paid you, and I hope offered you a consumate fee that was relevant to what they would normally pay for that type of space.

They were also very fortunate that you did not claim an additional cost for a breach of copyright. However, there are times when if they've accepted that they were at fault, and someone has been rapped over the knuckles for simply taking your image, and you've been paid a fee that YOU are comfortable with, then thats a successful outcome.

PS Yes there is plenty of total crap on Getty images, amazingly though it gets used and they (Getty) manage the sales, of which the photographer gets a percentage of the fee - which again in many cases probably wouldnt have ever sold without the might of Getty selling it, and therefore whatever the percentage, its better then sweet FA, which is all some of their images are worth - IMHO.
    Last edited by Longshots; 17-12-2011 at 6:43pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    followed the link ... just like the Reuters and Getty Images it now has a copyright Danielle Sheehan in the bottom left corner
    Main cameras: Pentax K5, Pentax K-x. Lenses: Pentax-A 50 f1.7, Sigma DC 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Pentax DAL 18-55 f3.5-5.6, Sigma EX 28-70 f2.8, Vivitar 70-210 f3.5, Sigma DG 70-300 f4-5.6, Sigma DG 150-500 f5-6.3.
    PP software: Photoshop CS2 and Picasa 3
    These may all help but - it's really all about the light ...
    Portfolio, My Picasa albums, Panoramio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you had a satisfactory result in the end.
    I'm not totally useless, I can always be used as a bad example

Stuart

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an aside - sometimes content means more than quality, and sometime quality means more than content. Either way, the copyright owner sometimes has an opportunity to call the shots with the press.

It seems like you managed a satisfactory outcome. Well done.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danielle: Good to know you had a satisfactory result in the end.

Interesting read and comments all round, considering I'm in the process of chasing down offenders.
    Matt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High 5!

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great that they've agreed to pay for use of the image... A very interesting thread indeed, certainly something to learn from.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenmars View Post
    That's great that they've agreed to pay for use of the image... A very interesting thread indeed, certainly something to learn from.
    Well they have credited me but still waiting for the funds -_-
    Def something to learn from, put great big dirty watermarks across your images if u are putting them online!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a professional photographer? Have you lost money now that this photo has been published and you cannot sell it as an exclusive? I am guessing the answer to both of these questions is No, so i am not sure why you are so offended. I would send them an invoice for a small amount. It will probably go straight to the accounting department and get put through - no questions asked
    Part time Real Estate and Product photographer | CANON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonw View Post
    Are you a professional photographer? Have you lost money now that this photo has been published and you cannot sell it as an exclusive? I am guessing the answer to both of these questions is No, so i am not sure why you are so offended. I would send them an invoice for a small amount. It will probably go straight to the accounting department and get put through - no questions asked

Done and dusted this thread Simon, Started 12-12-11
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have gone past page 1 haha

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234