User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 is going to be an interesting year ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo224 View Post
    I'm sure there are many people out there too scared or worried, or too tied down to make such moves and unfortunately are probably very much stuck in their positions (whether it be emotional, or financial, or literal if a glue factory).
    I spent a long time being miserable before it finally dawned on me that I had no need to be stuck in a dead end job. I have no ties, no mortgage, no debt - why was I acting as though I did? I realised this was the perfect opportunity to make a big change without it affecting anyone else. Maybe it's just a mid-life crisis, but it's been an incredibly liberating experience making the decision to do this.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
    Thanks, tcdev! Yes, I've been to the US before - 6 weeks last year and 3 months in 2000. I was born there and we moved to Australia when I was three years old. Five months this time is the plan, but I'm tempted to extend it to spend the winter in San Diego and stay on until spring for the waterfalls in Yosemite - will just have to play it by ear on that one.
    My sister lived in SD for 3 years and I visited her a few times, most recently earlier this year. She loved it - nice city and nice weather!

If you do end up staying on until spring, may I also suggest a week in Yellowstone? I've done Yosemite in spring too, but seeing the baby bison, elk and bear cubs in Yellowstone is simply something not to be missed!

Best wishes for the move into your new house and for the arrival of your baby girl - definitely exciting times for you! Have a wonderful time in Hawaii.
    Thanks!
    --
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
    RRS BH-55 Ballhead & B2 AS II Clamp
    (no legs yet)

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brave new frontier for you both ,well done and good luck and experiences are awaiting so grab it with both hands

Cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After spending my whole adult life working in office administration, and after giving my future a great deal of thought, I resigned from my job last Friday. Every day was feeling like Groundhog Day, and I just couldn't face another 20-25 years until retirement (if I ever got that far) doing the same thing. Spending 8-9 hours a day sitting at a desk doing data entry wasn't doing much for my physical or emotional wellbeing, leaving me depressed and unmotivated for life in general.

So, I finish up on 20 January next year, and then I'll be concentrating on my health and fitness as well as putting some solid work into my photography and Photoshop skills to see where things take me. At the end of May, I'll be heading to the US until at least mid-November for an extended road trip. After that? Well, I'll just have to wait and see, but at least there won't be any regrets about paths not taken or opportunities missed.

Interesting times, indeed ...
    massive congrats. a brave and bold move. i envy you.

hope it takes you where ever you want to be!
    "I really need to spend more time experimenting with photography."
    Canon EOS 1000D with lens kit | EFS 18-55mm | EF 75-300mm |

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, cupic and crazymorton. Counting down to my last day at work and looking forward (in a nervous kind of way ) to making a new start!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How exciting for you both,
    Life is to be lived, congratulations for taking the step.
    I wish you magic and wonder..
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    big congrats to you It only took me 2 years to leave a govt job and do my own thing, I cant imagine what it would be like with 25 yrs!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    big congrats to you It only took me 2 years to leave a govt job and do my own thing, I cant imagine what it would be like with 25 yrs!
    Thanks! The hardest thing for me was that for most of that time I didn't know what else I wanted to do. I'll be happy if I can just make a part-time income from photography, but I'll never know what's possible if I don't give it a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very courageous step & wonderful for you! Best of luck & I look forward to hearing about your journey.
    Canon EOS 450D twin IS lens kit
    A beginner, with an eagerness to learn...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Wish I had the guts to do something similar, but I've too many commitments..Wishing you well and look forward to hearing how you're getting on
    flickr

C+C welcome and appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck Michaela. At the age of 52 I gave up a very stressful job in Property Management (I hated every minute of the 12yrs I was in it) and went to the UK for 2mths. I stayed 6yrs working and travelling all over the UK and into Europe returning each year to spend Christmas with family before taking off again (and loved every minute of it).

If you're doing what you love you won't regret it
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Carole! I've only got 7 more days at work now, and I'm just so keen to get started. I've got myself booked in to an "Advanced Digital" workshop this month and then a lighting workshop in a month or so ... so much to learn and I'm going to love every bit of it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12