User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Straps for Beginners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straps for Beginners

I just pulled my new 7D out of the box, I'm off to pick up my 15-85mm in a little while from the Fedex centre in a little while. In the meantime I grabbed everything out and quickly put on the neckstrap but it seems terrible. While I love the tool factor with 7D plastered all over it I'm sure that will get old quickly, the material is atrocious, and I can't get it short enough to be comfortable.

What tips or anecdotes do you have with regard to straps? I'm open to hand straps and neckstraps. I like a handstrap for added subtlety however if I ever drop it I feel a neckstrap for me to catch would be helpful (for my bouts of ninja).

Cheers
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben and welcome to the forum

I recently asked the same question as my canon stap was very uncomfortable here is a link
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-Pros-and-Cons

I brought the crumpler industry discrace it is very comfortable especially when wearing for a long period of time

Hope this helps you .
    Kylie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. I have travelled with it hanging around my neck for long periods of time & it has never become uncomfortable - the same cannot be said for the Canon strap that came with the body......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use a strap on either of my cameras!!!!

Is that a bad thing lol
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found the Canon strap to not only be uncomfortable, but it dug into my neck too.
    Personally, I like to hold the camera in my hand so one of those hand-straps that connect to the tripod mount looks like they would be a good idea, or if you are carrying the camera with a big lens on it, one of the Rapid straps would be very good.
    I have one of the Black Rapids, and I can easily walk around all day with my 100-400 lens on the camera.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have never use a canon strap... but the q-strap (cheap vers of rapid strap). works great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I love the brand, I have 2 pet peeves with Canon:
    1. You pay $1000+ for a lens and still have to pay extra for a lens hood.
    2. The crappy "standard" camera straps.
    ..well that's enough whinging...

My recommendations for alternate straps are:
    1. As noted above the Black Rapids http://www.blackrapid.com/ are great for carrying heavy outfits (eg. 1Diii+70-200 2.8+flash) for extended periods, comfortably & discreetly on your hip (good in crowds) but can be drawn "rapidly" for a quick shot. They are a bit pricey but are excellent quality and being the first they have a fair bit of evolution behind them.

2. For something more "conventional" the Op/Tech Pro strap http://optechusa.com/straps/pro-strap.html is really comfortable and versatile. I got some extra short loop straps with clips on them that stay permanently on my cameras, binoculars etc. and I can just clip the strap on if/when needed.

Cheers
    John

EOS 1D MKIII x2, EOS 6D; Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, EF 17-40 4 L, EF 24-70 2.8 L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 L IS, EF 100 2.8 macro, EF 400 5.6 L, 1.4x II TC, EF25 ET; Speelite 580EX, 430EX; Nissin Di866II; Yongnuo YN560i/ii & YN460ii, YN622C's, RF602's; Gitzo GT3541XLS + Markins Q20i; Manfrotto 055XProB + Giottos MH1301; Manfrotto 680B c/w Kirk MPA-1; Tamrac Pro5, ThinkTank Airport Accelerator, Airport Antidote V2, Pro Speed Belt + Racing Harness + Modular Skin Set; Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CS5.
    myflickr

Scarlet letters aren't that bad.. I rather like L