Thread: GOPRO hero2 outdoor VS Panasonic Lumix FT3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GOPRO hero2 outdoor VS Panasonic Lumix FT3

Hi everyone,
    Need some advice!!
    I have just been told today about GOPRO cameras and have been doing a little research. I had been planning to buy a Panasonic Lumix FT3 to use while in New Zealand next month (Will still be taking my DSLR, but there will be times when I won't be able to use it, ie kayaking, around on the farm etc) but now I am wondering if I should try the gopro? It seems a pretty awesome camera, does anyone know if it is easy to use, and whether it would offer me much more than the panasonic wouldn't? I don't know how much I would the mounts, but its hard to say as I have never had the option before.
    Given they are approx the same price, it is making my decision tough!
    Thanks in advance,
    Ellen
    Ellen
    Pentax K10D, the newest baby
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Sigma 70-300mm
    Pentax 50mm f1.4
    Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash
    Whats next????

Please CC my photos, and edit where you want! Got lots to learn so please pass on instructions....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they're both fairly different and have their pro's and con's. But I'd say that the if you're looking for a Camera, the Panasonic Lumix would be the way to go. It'd give you a bit more range.

Keep in mind of course that the gopro doesn't have a viewfinder or a screen. And that playback is either through a phone controlled app or from the PC only (as far as I'm aware)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you want it for? I am looking at getting the Go Pro too but as a video camera. I wouldn't have thought it suitable as a camera as such.

For videoing kayaking and climbing etc, I am sure it would be excellent. But if you are thinking of taking specific images, I think you are looking at the wrong camera.

The Go Pro Hero is the market leader in adventure video cameras. I would go with the Panasonic, if you want stills.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    Keep in mind of course that the gopro doesn't have a viewfinder or a screen. And that playback is either through a phone controlled app or from the PC only (as far as I'm aware)
    There is an accessory screen you can buy which clips to the back of it. Works pretty well.

As far as Go Pro vs. the Lumix, they are totally different kinds of things. My mate has a Go Pro and we tend to just use it as a run and gun type thing, we set it up and just let it do its thing, there will be a lot of cr@p footage but sometimes there is some cool stuff. Honestly trying to compare these 2 is going to be pretty hard.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps guys for your advice!
    I think the lack of screen on the back would probably annoy me, and I would also miss a flash, I was kinda looking forward to having a compact camera that I could take out to parties etc.
    Think I am going to stick with the panasonic. Not very interested in video, too much mucking around for me.
    Thanks heaps!!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah!
    I'd stick with a ruggedised camera(proper).

A young chap I once knew had an Olympus version of one a few years back and he threw it all over the place to prove it's ruggedness, and it just kept on shooting .....

What I'd be concerned about with these GoPro's and others that I've seen, is their dynamic range.

All the investment in design is centred around the body design and I'm guessing that the technology in the sensor is old hat or off the shelf cheapo.
    With the Panasonic you can be sure they've put more effort into the sensor at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Think I am going to stick with the panasonic. .....

For now, I think a gorillapod for support is probably all you may need.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I was kinda looking forward to having a compact camera that I could take out to parties etc.
    The GoPro isn't designed to be used for that, yes it can take stills but that's not its primary role as a camera. It's made to be mounted to something and left to run on its own accord. So yes the Lumix will be the best choice.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys for your advice, very much appreciated. Panasonic it is! (and maybe a gorillapod...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

What I'd be concerned about with these GoPro's and others that I've seen, is their dynamic range.

All the investment in design is centred around the body design and I'm guessing that the technology in the sensor is old hat or off.
    Au contraire, mon frere! The GoPro is actually a pretty sophisticated design. The Hero2 is high res and a very capable video camera, but only within the realm of its design brief - as a very small, lightweight, waterproof, highly mountable set and forget device. It is modular by design, and can be programmed to shoot at various intervals, focal lengths, resolutions etc. But it is very definitely not a substitute for a happy snapper.

I have just taken delivery of mine, coincidentally in preparation for next month's cycle tour of NZ! But it will be an adjunct to my D7000 and S95, most probably exclusively capturing my wife from behind as she leaves me in her dust!
    "The best you can ever do is never make the same mistake twice."

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does sound like a great camera, but just probably not something that I am looking for.
    Have a great trip around NZ! Might see you around there.