I was looking through some of my daughter's formal pictures with the Canon DPP software, and my daughter's boyfriend's suit was a biatch to try and get to show up in the photos. The black suit was horrible to photograph. I didn't notice at first how little detail there was in it till I accidentally slid the "shadows" slider instead of one of the others, and then had to go back through all of them to see if I was having the same problem with all of them. And pretty much everyone of them has a big black blob as a suit until you play with some of the very limited adjustments that DPP has.
I seriously have to get some better software, and really soon.

This was the original out of camera shot just cropped:

And this was after playing with shadows to try and get the suit to show up, but in DPP as far as I can tell, if you get the suit to work, you over brighten everything else.
Apart from getting better software (already in Santa's bag I believe), what can you do when you have to photograph black things, and what settings can I try in DPP for the moment to try and make this one work a bit better. It's pretty much the same in every one of his photos.